• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
no. Raid only helps for killing bugs.

No. It is only really usefull for video editing and high amonts of disk reads and writes something that games dont do much of. It also increases the chances of catistropic data loss because you have two drives if either fails you loose all your information.

PrometheuSBoxeR said:
Im not fermiliar with the terms vdimm or TCCD. Is the R520 supposed to take the cake over G70, or G70 supposed to take the cake?

vdimm is how much voltage you put on your ram, if you're getting bh-5, or UTT, or something that loves voltage, dfi ultra-d supply's you with the option of giving it 4.0v, while other mobo's let you give it ~2.8-3.0 max (which odviously isn't enough for the ram). TCCD is a type of samsung ram that doesn't like high voltage, actally performs just the same or better at 2.6-2.7v and does really good clocks with looser timings (2.5-3-3-6), but the UTT can do good clocks with tight timings at high voltages (2-2-2-5 @ 250mhz DDR500). But of course tccd can clock higher, sometimes reaching 300mhz at DDR600, with moderatly looser timings. As for the R520's and G70, it's all speculation right now, as it's not released yet. They have specs for it, but no one knows how they will perform until it is released. Hope that answered your questions

Thunda is selling one in the classifieds for $550, as to what makes them better, they generally have the best memory controllers as well as tend to be the cream of the crop. They also are fully unlocked allowing you to raise or lower the multiplier.

Ok OC'ers, I've come here for your advice... and I have gotten what I needed. I've done some of my own research, and throughout my discoveries I think I narrowed it down well enough. Through newegg I put together my computer as the following:

Mobo - DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 : $196
Case - Lian Li PC-65B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower : $122
DVD Burner - LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner (x2) : $102
DVD Player - SONY Black IDE DVD-ROM (x1) : $23
CPU Fan - ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm : $47
CPU Heatsink - THERMALRIGHT XP-120 : $52
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 250GB : $130
Memory - CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 : $191
PSU - OCZ OCZ520ADJ ATX 520W : $139
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 939 pin : $330
GPU - SAPPHIRE 100106 Radeon X850XT 256MB : $500
The total comes to $1832.00 Reaching my budget of 2000. Although I will have to buy a mouse and keyboard its ok.

In my first post I exposed to you all that I am still new to custom computers and OC'ing. I would just like to ask one more time for some more constructive criticism. I would like to make sure from you all, that everything I have listed above will match, fit, and will smoothly go together if and when I decide to hit the "Check Out" button. I have a couple last minute basic questions such as:

Will everything fit on the mobo?
Will everything fit in the case?
Will I be able to upgrade to x2 x850XT's in SLI in the future?
Is my cooling on the GPU/CPU going to be ok stock, and mabey a little overclocking?
Will the Zalaman fan fit onto the XP-120, if so how is it mounted?
How long do you think this computer will be acceptable to a gamer?
What will my OC'ing options be like?

You might find these to be a lot of amateur questions, but I am not hiding from you that I am a amateur seeking your help. So if you could please help me out on where to go from here. Your help is most appreciated, dont be afraid to post your thoughts.

"Will I be able to upgrade to x2 x850XT's in SLI in the future?
Is my cooling on the GPU/CPU going to be ok stock, and mabey a little overclocking?"

I don't think you can use two ATi cards in an SLI setup. I believe it was intended for nvidia cards only.

Blackmoonmike said:
"Will I be able to upgrade to x2 x850XT's in SLI in the future?
Is my cooling on the GPU/CPU going to be ok stock, and mabey a little overclocking?"

I don't think you can use two ATi cards in an SLI setup. I believe it was intended for nvidia cards only.
Ahh true, News to me. I just figured any PCI-e card you were able to use x2.
It looks like that x850XT is using 2 PCI-e slots anyway thats why i asked.

PrometheuSBoxeR said:
Will the xpress 200 chipset be released when the crossfire series is released? I dont see either on Newegg of course.

DFI should have a CrossFire board very soon.
Your setup is real sweet, abit expensive for my taste but sweet.
For the mem I would recommend OCZ instead and I do belive they are 10$ cheaper with better customer service and an unbeatable warrenty.
Nice call on the San Diago.

CPU Fan - ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm : $47
CPU Heatsink - THERMALRIGHT XP-120 : $52

Why didn't anyone point this out??
Dude, they are both CPU heatsinks.... :bang head
Zalman comes with a fan built in, the XP-120 doesn't. In case you are wondering the XP-120 is better but its VERY large.

PSU - OCZ OCZ520ADJ ATX 520W : $139
If I'm not mistaking that PSU is a single V12 line....you don't want that, you need a dual line.
Fortron BlueStorm is the way to go, its better and cheaper as well. Linky.
Hope I halped.

IMO? A Three Blade Delta, but its really an overkill and it totally unbearable.
I'll check what NewEgg has.
Well NewEgg "only" carried the Panaflow that's worth mentioning, that fan is somewhat of a legend but not sure its worth 18$ tough.
Let me check what else it out there...
Alright found a good deal on sidewinder computers, Xp-120 + Three Blade Delta for 65$ and that's a good deal OR you can get the XP-120 + Panaflow fan for 60$.
Be warned!!! You WILL need a fan controller for these! They are LOUD, I have a pair of the Deltas and they are unbearable at full speed.
If you decide on these and want a fan controller Sunbeam Rheobus is a great and cheap choice.
I have provided links to everything, you will have to buy various components from different stores but that's the price you have to pay for getting a great -not good but great- system.
Before deciding on anything please compile a final list of components so we can review it. Don't worry people here will make sure you get the very best for the money you want to spend.

Just a Hint

If you compile a final list complete with links many times someone will know a cheaper place to buy the same product.You may not want to take them up on it
(some people chose one location for one reason or another) but it is always nice to know and gives you more alternatives to look at.
Good Luck

Back