• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a gaming rig; have I missed anything?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Versa

Registered
Hi there,

It's my first time on these forums, and my first time building a rig from the ground up. I thought I would ask the experts for some advice. I've installed upgrades and fiddled around on the inside of cases before, but I've never done specific things like mounting a motherboard on a case. But, I digress.

Here is the build that I'm going for.

Case: NZXT Lexa-S Mid-Tower
Link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5222598&Sku=A406-1096

Power Supply: Thermaltake W0319RU TR2 RX 850-Watt (Modular)
Link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6624658&Sku=T925-2416

Motherboard: Asus M4A79XTD EVO AMD 790X Socket AM3
Link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5023028&CatId=5536

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
Link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6052729&CatId=4432

Hard Drive: Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black
Link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6076939&Sku=TSD-1000FAEX

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Superclocked
Link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6942892&Sku=E145-0582

Memory: Kingston HyperX Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB
Link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7104116&Sku=K24-9917

Sound Card: Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
Link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3988132&Sku=C44-3392

Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 Internal DVD Writer
Link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4974035&Sku=M452-5004

For good measure: Corsair CWCH50-1 Hydro H50 CPU Liquid Cooler
Link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5267687&Sku=C13-2528

If there's any possible compatibility issues that I might run into, please let me know. One specific thing I'm wondering is if I need to buy any thermal paste; a few videos I've watched show that the Corsair H50 already has some on it, but I'm not sure.

So, am I ready to start this project? Will I have all the cables required? Any common mistakes that I might make as a first-time builder? Or any advice that you feel necessary? The topic is open for discussion.

Thanks for your time.

First, Welcome to the Forums!!

You've got a nice looking build there. Everything is in fact compatible. I have a few recommendations:

Since you are starting from scratch, I would recommend an SSD (Solid State Drive) for your OS, you could find one in the 60-120 Gb range for around $200. This would be the next most useful part to really help you notice your system speed, faster boot times, fast load times, etc. You could use your HDD you specified above for everything else.

For the cooling, most aftermarket coolers come with thermal compound, so you should be good there. If you want to stick with water, I would go with the H70, it is the newer model of the H50 and performs a bit better. However, there are many air coolers that would also perform just as well, such as the coolermaster Hyper212+. They are a bit tall though, so you would just need to make sure you have enough space in your case.

On the case, you might take a look at the HAF series cases by coolermaster. They are really spacious, I used the HAF 932 on my last build. They also come with several fans to help cool things and help with airflow.

Otherwise, looks good man! Keep us updated on the progress!

Thanks for the welcoming reply, mokrunka.

I'm relieved to hear that I won't be hitting any compatibility snags. I thought I had done my research well enough, but it was worth an ask, regardless.

Getting an SSD is something that's a little ways down the road for me. Regular hard drives have never wronged me when it comes to stability and performance, and because it's not an integral part of the build, I'll wait until they're cheap enough to get one with a large capacity that won't decimate my wallet.

It's also great to hear some confirmation on the H50's included thermal paste. The H60 and the H70 are about twice as much dosh, so I'll see how it goes with my first foray into liquid cooling; the reviews for the case I purchased say that it has an ample amount of airflow on it's own, this was just an extra.

The computer will be built within a week, and really, opening the packages with the hardware is like being a kid on Christmas morning. I'm so glad I can finally throw my Alienware in the closet. All in all, I'll update the status of the build as I get into it.

Cheers.

Have you bought these parts yet? If not you can spend about the same amount of money for a faster computer if you go for an 1155 P67 motherboard and a 2500K CPU.

The total price for the parts I listed and a bunch more stuff was about $1800 with shipping, which was the exact cutoff point for my budget. Anything faster or better will be upgraded with time, I assure you. However, I don't get how that CPU is faster than the one I purchased. The clock speed is .10 Ghz quicker but it has two less cores. If I ever need any more speed, I'll overclock the one I bought.

Thanks for the advice, though. I appreciate it.

The speed of a CPU isn't solely dependent on the clock speed. Some architectures are just plain faster and more efficient then others. Sandy Bridge is MUCH MUCH faster then a Thuban per clock. Not to mention that you can overclock a 2500K to 5GHz or more with decent air cooling.

Unless you have programs threaded for 6 physical cores, which I doubt, the 2500K will destroy the 1090T.

Here, this build is $200 cheaper and comes with better RAM, better case, better CPU/motherboard, better PSU (albeit non-modular), and a better sound card/ HDD's are about equal, and the H50 you picked was overkill for Sandy Bridge, that Hyper212+ will work just fine, go with a Corsair A70 if you want something a bit more powerful.

The combo deals are the CPU/RAM and the PSU/Case.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    28.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    1.7 KB · Views: 101
Wow, I really wasn't expecting someone to reconfigure the whole build. Props to you, my friend.

First off, all of the parts I listed have already been purchased, and except for the graphics card and case, they've all arrived. I was looking more for advice based on these parts. Sorry to ruin your hard work, mate.

Second, I'm not sure where the subtotal you listed came from, but that's not important. The grand total of the parts I listed came to $1,442 and that's without the 15% tax. I'm Canadian, you see. The prices you listed aren't the same on the Canadian version of the site, but if they were, the build I purchased is still more within my price range than what you've listed. Also, it seems that the term "better" is solely of opinion, such as the choice of case.

Regardless, your work is still appreciated. It's nice to see the different options that are available to first-time builders. I'm sure the parts that I purchased will make a fine gaming rig, even if they aren't necessarily the "best" available. :p

Wow, I really wasn't expecting someone to reconfigure the whole build. Props to you, my friend.

First off, all of the parts I listed have already been purchased, and except for the graphics card and case, they've all arrived. I was looking more for advice based on these parts. Sorry to ruin your hard work, mate.

Second, I'm not sure where the subtotal you listed came from, but that's not important. The grand total of the parts I listed came to $1,442 and that's without the 15% tax. I'm Canadian, you see. The prices you listed aren't the same on the Canadian version of the site, but if they were, the build I purchased is still more within my price range than what you've listed. Also, it seems that the term "better" is solely of opinion, such as the choice of case.

Regardless, your work is still appreciated. It's nice to see the different options that are available to first-time builders. I'm sure the parts that I purchased will make a fine gaming rig, even if they aren't necessarily the "best" available. :p

The whole thing's actually on Newegg.ca, saw that you were Canadian xD. Don't know about the tax issue *shurg*.

Didn't know you already built everything. I guess the most you could do to that is add a SSD, aftermarket cooler, and overclock the snot out of it.

There's also Bulldozer CPU's coming out later this year that you can just drop into your machine that will kick butt for performance/clock.

Ah, Newegg was my second choice, but I'm always worried about brokerage fees when UPS ships through the border, and TigerDirect guaranteed me over the phone that there wouldn't be any. You can get charged $400 at the door on a shipment of about two grand like this. It's horrifying.

I haven't actually built the computer yet, though. I'm waiting on a couple more parts, which should be here by Monday, perhaps. I feel kind of guilty, as I should have explained that a little more before somebody went to a lot of work configuring a build for me, so I apologize.

I've never overclocked a processor before, and only one graphics card. I'll have to do my homework on it, but from the looks of it, the Black Edition processors are unlocked to allow easier overclocking...or something like that. Again, homework is due.

The Bulldozer processors look like an updated version of what I'm getting, at first glance. I'll wait for them to go down in price. The only thing I'm adamant at having the top-end version of is graphics cards, the rest can wait until they're cheaper.

Are there any 120-140mm fans with blue LEDs that are easily recommended? I'm going to add one and replace another in the case when I get it.

Thanks again, all.

The total price for the parts I listed and a bunch more stuff was about $1800 with shipping, which was the exact cutoff point for my budget. Anything faster or better will be upgraded with time, I assure you. However, I don't get how that CPU is faster than the one I purchased. The clock speed is .10 Ghz quicker but it has two less cores. If I ever need any more speed, I'll overclock the one I bought.

Thanks for the advice, though. I appreciate it.

Why is a six cylinder SOHC naturally aspirated engine going to produce less torque and horsepower than a four cylinder DOHC turbocharged engine? Inferior architechture.

1 Sandybridge core is faster at the exact same clock speed than about 1.4 opteron cores.

It's also about 1.2 times faster than a similarly clocked bloomfield or gulftown core.

Add the fact that you can get 4.5 or 5GHz on air out of the cpu vs 4 if you're lucky out of a hex core AMD and your 20ish percent superiority increases to about 30%.

In 2004 an AMD FX55 at 3Ghz was almost twice as fast as a Pentium 4 at 3Ghz.

All we're saying when we say 1Hz is one cycle. One cycle of what? People never ask that, and they should.:thup:

The AMD 6 core will serve you well, but there are lots of reasons why an 1155 system is a better buy right now. I don't mean to put down your purchase. Better is not, as you said, a matter of opinion though. There are good, hard numbers to prove betterness here. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just trying to disseminate information. I hope you'll enjoy your AMD rig. :) Honestly.

The prices you listed aren't the same on the Canadian version of the site Also, it seems that the term "better" is solely of opinion, such as the choice of case.

The prices on the Canadian site are definitely the same. I check it all the time. If anything the differnce is 2% or less :) :bday:

Honestly, I think the main reason I've been so reluctant to buy anything Intel is because I've had multiple bad experiences with them. The parts that I purchased are all brands that I can have peace of mind with. Any particular part of the forum that I can share horror stories on? :D

I did my research on the 1090T and it seems to get a thumbs up from nearly everybody. The number of cores, the clock speed and the easy overclocking make me think that it will last for years to come. However, I haven't read any comparisons between AMD and Intel chips, and I think that's where I faulted. From a glance, the 1090T has more bang for the buck. I guess this is a good way to learn.

Back