• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building a killer gaming rig starting with asus a8n sli-deluxe motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markyoneandonly

Registered
hi everyone,anyone got any tips on which processor to buy for this mobo bearing in mind i do not have access to a money tree?All i,d like to do is play doom 3 at stupidily high frame rates and kick peoples arses on it.I plan on getting a 6600gt256 card but later buying a second and have them running in sli mode but one will do for now.
What is the best/fastest hard drives to buy?
what do you think of the athlon 64 fx55 chip i,ve read nothing but good reviews but it does seem a little pricey,should i wait a while for fx57?
this is my first build any help would be greatly received......
thanx marky.
my system at the moment is a packard bell i-media
60 gig ide
1024 memory
and a crap geforce mx 440
audigy 800 sound card
live drive 2
lg dvd r/w-r

i would get a 3000 or 3200,western digital raptor(10,000 rpm) is about the fastest out for sata,i'd get a 36gig for os,use your 60 for data,games and such,6600gt is a good choice,my son has an AGP version and it works well.

If you are going to overclock make sure you get a 3000+ or 3200+ Venice, I would recommend the DFI Ultra D, although you said you were building around the A8N SLI, I don't know how flexible you are. For RAM something like the OCZ VX if you want UTT or some GSkill TCCD seems popular. Don't forget a reliable PSU like a Fortron Blue Storm. I would not recommend a Raptor because I don't think they are worth the price, just get a Seagate 7200.8 drive of whatever size you want.

i thought the raptures are expensive too,would just getting say two 150 gig SATA drives be adequate as to save a bit of cash.I also read the write ups on the 3700+venice i think rather than forkin out for a fx55

Yeah, buy venice 3700+ and all your saved money (on fx) spend on better vga! If you plan oc`ing cpu - buy DFI. On the other hand a8n sli dlx (also known as fatal1Ty)offers much more space between SLI cards and that means more possibilities for cooling your vga`s.

friendly1 said:
Yeah, buy venice 3700+ and all your saved money (on fx) spend on better vga! If you plan oc`ing cpu - buy DFI. On the other hand a8n sli dlx (also known as fatal1Ty)offers much more space between SLI cards and that means more possibilities for cooling your vga`s.

I second that, your much better off with one 6800 then once prices drop drastically slap in another and you should still be in quite good shape...

friendly1 said:
Then Asus will offer you an extra pci slot which really CAN help you! Read this: http://www.overclockers.com/tips00782/
i read your link and indeed this is very true high end gaming is not for the poor,but hopefully in the not to distant future prices of hardware will fall.
And yes i do play golf and yes it does eat away at my wallet.
But if i had to choose between buying golf equipment or hardware/software for my pc then i,d have to choose the pc everytime.At least i,m not subjected to hours of soap operas and crap tv wot the missus watches.
And back to the rig so i think a 3700+san diego core,couple of 160gig satas,a couple of of 512 ocz vx mems a fortron blue storm psu should have me seeing some rather good frame rates,un overclocked. thanx guys for your help....mark.

markyoneandonly said:
hi everyone,anyone got any tips on which processor to buy for this mobo bearing in mind i do not have access to a money tree?All i,d like to do is play doom 3 at stupidily high frame rates and kick peoples arses on it.I plan on getting a 6600gt256 card but later buying a second and have them running in sli mode but one will do for now.
What is the best/fastest hard drives to buy?
what do you think of the athlon 64 fx55 chip i,ve read nothing but good reviews but it does seem a little pricey,should i wait a while for fx57?
this is my first build any help would be greatly received......
thanx marky.
my system at the moment is a packard bell i-media
60 gig ide
1024 memory
and a crap geforce mx 440
audigy 800 sound card
live drive 2
lg dvd r/w-r

Just built a system on that board and loving it.
Here's the thread with pics.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=382785

qwertyuiop said:
If you are going to overclock make sure you get a 3000+ or 3200+ Venice, I would recommend the DFI Ultra D, although you said you were building around the A8N SLI, I don't know how flexible you are. For RAM something like the OCZ VX if you want UTT or some GSkill TCCD seems popular. Don't forget a reliable PSU like a Fortron Blue Storm. I would not recommend a Raptor because I don't think they are worth the price, just get a Seagate 7200.8 drive of whatever size you want.

If you want stupid high frame raits then get a 3000+ venice and use the money you save from the cpu on something better than a 6600, get at least a 6800GT, IMO SLI is not even worth the price if you dont use at least a 6800GT.

This is what i would buy
3200+ Venice, or 3700+ SD
DFI SLI (Asus if you prefer, DFI Ultra-D if no SLI)
6800GT, X800XL or X850XT if you not going to us SLI
1gb TCCD/5, or 1gb UTT
500w+ PSU, Fortron, Antec, Sparkle, OCZ, Enermax, Seasonic

May i suggest looking at other threads? You will find out a lot by searching around here.I would look at AMD cpu's and Memory. I also suggest the DFI Ultra-D or SLI. The Ultra-D can be easily modded to SLI. Just get some TCC5 to make life easy. It is less a risk of getting bad RAM. everyone susally gets at least 260+. With UTT, ti is alittle mre luck on how they OC IMHO. Look at "OCZ Platnium Revision 2". It is TCC5 RAM and very good.

thanx for that now i,m still confused how can one person know that much about memory....jesus....i think i will be opting for ocz PC-5000 Platinum DFI nF4 Special Series as i think it will compliment the a8n nicely.....hopefully
this is the first time i have wrote in the overclockers forums ....i should have done it ages ago,you people are a breathe of fresh air,at last other cpu geeks to talk to well i say geeks i mean interlectuals.

Back