• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building a killer gaming rig starting with asus a8n sli-deluxe motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry man but if he had the money for an FX chip than he can afford better than a forton. Dont get me wrong fortons are nice PSU's for their money but for the rig this guy is making ATLEAST get a powerstream 420w by OCZ. Next step up would be a 520w which would be perfect for you if you dont want to pay the extra for the 600w.
If he's barely going to overclock, why does he need any better than a Fortron? So much of this seems extraneous. But...if that's what you want to do, then that's what you want to do. In my situation, I wish I had saved a little more money to pay for college.

This combo works well, zero problems............

A8N - SLI Deluxe
AMD64 FX55
2 Gig Kingston PC 3200
3 WD Raptors 36 gig on Raid 5
2 Leadtek PX6800 TDH
Tsunami Dream Case
AGP-ATX55520P4-550W Power Supply

Last edited:
BeavrSqueezer said:

A8N - SLI Deluxe
AMD64 FX55
2 Gig Kingston PC 3200
3 WD Raptors 39 gig on Raid 5
2 Leadtek PX6800 TDH
Tsunami Dream Case
That is one hell of a nice rig m8,one question about the raid 5 how does this help and what advantages would i gain if i mainly want to game and burn a few dvds and later i maybe installing cakewalk home studio.

BeavrSqueezer said:

A8N - SLI Deluxe
AMD64 FX55
2 Gig Kingston PC 3200
3 WD Raptors 39 gig on Raid 5
2 Leadtek PX6800 TDH
Tsunami Dream Case

Thats an AMAZING rig.... SLI and Raid.... just 1 suggestion. If you are spending this much on a rig get the nicer memory. Go with something like OCZ VX or OCZ plat rev. 2

Corsar twinX's are nice sticks, I personally like OCZ everything. So, get atleast the corsairs if you dont wanna spend the extra for the OCZ.

I might be wary of TCCD on the A8N, at least maybe the 4400C25 Corsair. I could not get mine to run at 1T windows stable with that memory. Memtest would run all day, no errors. But windows would always BSOD withing 2 minutes, if it loaded.

Went with PQI turbo, non TCCD, as a return item at my local Fry's and it works great. Only running at 220 FSB so far, but no problems with it.

The Corsair would run perfect at 2T, but what fun is that.

Your milage may vary, of course.

That is one hell of a nice rig m8,one question about the raid 5 how does this help and what advantages would i gain if i mainly want to game and burn a few dvds and later i maybe installing cakewalk home studio.
RAID 5 uses three or more drives and provides the benefits of speed and redundancy. Parity data for the array is stored on each drive, meaning one drive can be removed from the setup or fail, even while it's running, with no adverse effects. In a RAID 5 array with three drives, you should see 2x the available space as one of the drives.

Poly 15
If you go to Asus Website you will find a list of certified memory for this board, nowhere will you find OZ memory because it has problems with this board, as a matter of fact there are only 3 makers of 1 gig dimms that are certified for this board to run with four sticks and get the full 4 gigs!

O my bad for some reason I was thinking that he wanted 1gb not 2 gbs..... I dont
like the OCZ 1gb sticks bery much but the OCZ512 sticks are the best! i never saw A need to go over 1gb....

me a8n sli deluxe motherboard gaming rig

Me systems comin on a treat heres a list of what i,ve bought so far a 3700+ san diego core, two 74 gig raptors, a gig of ddr 550 corsair, sessonic 600w psu,in an thermaltake black soprano case,oh and an xfx 256mb 6800gt and an inno branded 6800gt(which i,m not sure will run together in sli?).
Now me question is cooling what should i go for?
I,m contemplating watercooled but i dont like the idea of a resovoire or whatever stuck on the outside rear of me case.(unsightly).
If these two cards are compatible to run in sli,i shall be checking the crystals out when the inno branded arrives from ebay soon.
Do i stick with fan cooling or what i,m a bit paranoid about leaks and stuff.
I,ve been looking at Kingwin AWC-1 Arctic Liquid Cooler System with LCD Display, it seems like the ideal solution anyone got any tips.
All i want is to be safe in the knowledge that me processor and graphics cards are nice and cool.
Phase changing whats all that abouit please someone enlighten me.....
thanx.

markyoneandonly said:
Me systems comin on a treat heres a list of what i,ve bought so far a 3700+ san diego core, two 74 gig raptors, a gig of ddr 550 corsair, sessonic 600w psu,in an thermaltake black soprano case,oh and an xfx 256mb 6800gt and an inno branded 6800gt(which i,m not sure will run together in sli?).
Now me question is cooling what should i go for?
I,m contemplating watercooled but i dont like the idea of a resovoire or whatever stuck on the outside rear of me case.(unsightly).
If these two cards are compatible to run in sli,i shall be checking the crystals out when the inno branded arrives from ebay soon.
Do i stick with fan cooling or what i,m a bit paranoid about leaks and stuff.
I,ve been looking at Kingwin AWC-1 Arctic Liquid Cooler System with LCD Display, it seems like the ideal solution anyone got any tips.
All i want is to be safe in the knowledge that me processor and graphics cards are nice and cool.
Phase changing whats all that abouit please someone enlighten me.....
thanx.

You won't be able to run in SLI, they must come from the same maker and HAVE the same bios version.

I've heard <stories> of others getting different cards to work.

If both cards are of the reference design, it might be possible to flash both cards to the same BIOS and get SLI to work.

Jess

corsair

Just a quickie will corsair twin x 550 mhz work on an a8n sli deluxe board?
the manual says ddr400 only........

markyoneandonly

It SHOULD be backwards compatible.

A8N - SLI Deluxe
AMD64 FX55
2 Gig Kingston PC 3200
2 Leadtek PX6800 TDH
Tsunami Dream Case

If ya gonna be blowing that kinda money on them expensive parts do not put a 6600GT card in it. It would waste everything else your system would consist of. if ya plan on SLI then go 6800Gt or Ultra else deploy an ATI 850XT

Chief_Drunk said:
If ya gonna be blowing that kinda money on them expensive parts do not put a 6600GT card in it. It would waste everything else your system would consist of. if ya plan on SLI then go 6800Gt or Ultra else deploy an ATI 850XT
as i said i,ve got two 6800gt,s not 6600,s but they are from different manufacturers one xfx one inno branded.....

BeavrSqueezer said:
markyoneandonly

It SHOULD be backwards compatible.

A8N - SLI Deluxe
AMD64 FX55
2 Gig Kingston PC 3200
2 Leadtek PX6800 TDH
Tsunami Dream Case
rrrrrrrr thanx for a moment there i thought i,d dropped a right bollock.......oh pardon me french....so the higher the mhz is ok but lower would not obviously....and so if the motherboard is 400 mhz me memory is more than adequate to be overclocked...... :) :beer: :attn:

Back