• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building a killer gaming rig starting with asus a8n sli-deluxe motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well its really designed for the DFI motherboard not the asus, that does not mean it wont work but the bet performance from that memroy is going to be on a DFI SLI or Ultra-D.

Yes. I agree. I know you want the ASUS, but int he end, you will be MUCH happier with the DFI SLI. I mean M7uch happier.

I just received the OCZ 5000 and the A8N-SLI this week. If I had it to do over again I would order the DFI. After looking around the forums for awhile you will find that people are having MUCH better luck with the DFI, especially if you get the OCZ 5000. I think the people here are really cool about not pushing any particular brands on each other but sometimes I think it would be better if people spoke their mind. I wish someone would have stopped me from ordering the Asus so I thought I would at least say something to encourage you to take a good look at the DFI before making your decision. This coming from a long time Asus fan as you can tell by my name.

hyperasus said:
I just received the OCZ 5000 and the A8N-SLI this week. If I had it to do over again I would order the DFI. After looking around the forums for awhile you will find that people are having MUCH better luck with the DFI, especially if you get the OCZ 5000. I think the people here are really cool about not pushing any particular brands on each other but sometimes I think it would be better if people spoke their mind. I wish someone would have stopped me from ordering the Asus so I thought I would at least say something to encourage you to take a good look at the DFI before making your decision. This coming from a long time Asus fan as you can tell by my name.
what is it with this DFI motherboard what is so special about it?it has the same features as the asus a8n sli deluxe,and seeing as i picked the asus up for 75 pound on ebay althiugh it has a faulty fan,but i am going to send it back to asus or they will send me a new fan i thought i had a bargain.

the dfi has higher voltage options than the asus does and to run that mem at spec speed,you'll need it.

i'm happy with my a8n-sli deluxe,i have some older hyper-x 4000 (ddr 500) mem and this board works great for me.

and what i've read,all u have to do is email asus support and they will send u a new chipset fan.

cheers for the quick response...i sincerely hope it that easy to get a fan from asus then i have really got a bargain.i,ve been looking at the kingston hyper x how do you rate it would it be good for the a8n or have you any other suggestions?i do wish to overclock but only to see what all the fuss is about i,m not one of those benchmarking junkies but on the other hand i might well like it if you know what i mean.But after spending all that hard earned cash on a nice rig i would hate to fry it all.Have you seen any info on the fx57?

here's what i'm running right now:

cpu8dr.png

i have my mem running at spec right now at a ddr 500.

thi do think this is pretty good mem,but it wont hold a candle to what u can get now.i got it a little over a year ago and it is currently c3-5-5-10 t2

Honestally you dont need all of this. A simple card like a 6600 will give you the kinda peformance increases you wanted. Not a GT, just a regluar 6600 on ebay.

In addition you need to weigh your options. If you honestally feel you will use SLI then go for it, but I have my doubts that you would.

In addition next-gen cards are less than 2 months away. They should double current peformance of current cards at the same price point. I dont see much sense in spending more than $100 for a videocard at this point. This is why I sold my 6800GT and Ultra.

Sentential said:
Honestally you dont need all of this. A simple card like a 6600 will give you the kinda peformance increases you wanted. Not a GT, just a regluar 6600 on ebay.

In addition you need to weigh your options. If you honestally feel you will use SLI then go for it, but I have my doubts that you would.

In addition next-gen cards are less than 2 months away. They should double current peformance of current cards at the same price point. I dont see much sense in spending more than $100 for a videocard at this point. This is why I sold my 6800GT and Ultra.

This is very good advise. I just dropped a ton of money on a new AMD system and its really not that impressive at all. Here is what I bought if your interested http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=388183 . I like my Intel system better. My advise to you is wait a few weeks and see how these dual cores pan out. I am really hoping (cross my fingers) that the X2 will save my current AMD setup. Otherwise I am going to sell it for whatever I can get and move to an LGA 775 setup.

Me gaming rig!!!

hi all now about this killer gaming rig starting with the a8n sli deluxe i,ve just bought some 1024MB of Corsair DDR550 - XMS4400 any good?
my main question is coz i,ve just bought two 74 gig raptures for it now should i have them in raid 0 configuration or what baring in mind that i do want to play games but i also want to burn dvds and surf quite abit,i,ve read some of the other threads on raid 0 and there are alot of plusses and a lot of minuses,now i am really confused!!!
and what about all the other configurations like raid 1 raid 1+0 and jbod and raid 5?????? :shrug:
then theres the question of cooling shall i get a shed load of fans or what....it,s all a bit confusing.I,ve finally opted for an athlon 3800+ san diego core cpu heard good things about them.
I not to confident about watercooling solutions so i think i,ll stick with fans for now.I,ll be overclocking a little but i,m not gonna go mad this system is costing a few quid and because of my lack of experience with overclocking i dont want to burn it all in the first week.
Gonna take things slowly...
Any advice welcome...thanx...many.

Finally, some sense in this thread. I agree with this advice wholeheartedly.

my main question is coz i,ve just bought two 74 gig raptures for it now should i have them in raid 0 configuration or what baring in mind that i do want to play games but i also want to burn dvds and surf quite abit,i,ve read some of the other threads on raid 0 and there are alot of plusses and a lot of minuses,now i am really confused!!!
and what about all the other configurations like raid 1 raid 1+0 and jbod and raid 5??????
You don't need any form of RAID. Plain and simple. It would be frustrating to set up, and you don't use any applications that would see a significant performance gain. RAID would be superfluous. A single 10K RPM Raptor would be a good idea though. RAPTOR. Not Rapture...that's supposed to happen later. :)

Read the stickies in the cooling section for more info on what to use in that department. If you have questions after that, go ahead and post over there.

It's a good idea to take things slowly. You're building a gaming rig, not an overclocker's rig. You can still overclock, but you don't need to go all out, extreme overclocking setup.

I like OCZ VX pc4000. Also have you though about a PSU? For a system like this you might want to look at an OCZ Powerstream 600w. I totally agree with everyone who says the 3700+ is the way to go!

O and by the way. I have a 6800Ultra in my new system which is an AMAZING card. Save your money from the FX chip and get one of these puppies!

The raptors in raid-0 is fine. Raid-1 is when all the data put onto one hard drive is copied to both drives incase one drive breaks. Raid-0+1 is a combination of both. Don't worry about raid-5 as you will not need it. Raid-0 has faster write times but a tad slower read times, and if I'm not mistaken, raid-1 is a bit faster in the read area.

Also have you though about a PSU? For a system like this you might want to look at an OCZ Powerstream 600w
600w?? Why would he need 600w? Geeze. Save some money and get a Fortron 400w. This is a rig for a guy without a ton of money, not the rig you wish you all had.

The raptors in raid-0 is fine.
No. The Raptors in RAID-0 is expensive and overkill. Not necessary. You'll be spending a lot of money, and not seeing a lot of benefit for it. Save the cash for something else.

johan851 said:
600w?? Why would he need 600w? Geeze. Save some money and get a Fortron 400w. This is a rig for a guy without a ton of money, not the rig you wish you all had.

Sorry man but if he had the money for an FX chip than he can afford better than a forton. Dont get me wrong fortons are nice PSU's for their money but for the rig this guy is making ATLEAST get a powerstream 420w by OCZ. Next step up would be a 520w which would be perfect for you if you dont want to pay the extra for the 600w.

johan851 said:

No. The Raptors in RAID-0 is expensive and overkill. Not necessary. You'll be spending a lot of money, and not seeing a lot of benefit for it. Save the cash for something else.
i,m gonna buy at least a 550 w psu the asus board demands at least 500w

memory

Can anyone tell me if 1024MB of Corsair DDR550 - XMS4400 will fit in an a8n sli deluxe motherboard? hope so coz i,ve already bought it from ebay.
I payed £142.00 is that about right?

Back