• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new computer, need advices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mi6

hey guys im building a new computer and wanted to see if there would be some compatibility problems

here are the specs

INTEL BOX PENTIUM 4 550J 3.4GHZ 800 HT XD S775 BTX
eVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra Extreme Edition 256MB DDR/8x-AGP/TV-Out/DVI
WD RAPTOR 74GB HARD DRIVE SATA 10000RPM 5.2MS 8MB 10K
Sony Double Layer DVD+RW Drive DRU-700A Black
Sound Blaster Audigy-2ZS Platinum Black
Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System

okey so now for the ram and mobo
thats the 2 only things i can't figure out

i personaly love Asus but the Abit IC7-Max3 looks good
soo i was wondering if anyone had a opinion for a mobo that supported
maybe the Corsair XMS Xpert pc3200 or maybe something better.
also feel free to give me input on the cpu

-ps-
a water cooling system would be ideal and suggestions would be appreciated
i read over allot of post in the WC section, and i'm looking for a KIT, i just cant bare to make my own, no warrenty on that ;) thanks again

-M

The Abit IC7-G max3 won't work with that processor, the processor is socket 775, while the IC7-G is socket 478.

Second, why Intel, and why AGP? I'd go with a 3200+ socket 939, and the DFI NF4. Put that with a PCI-express X800/6800. Better upgradability, and better performance in games.

For the memory, it doesn't matter so long as it has TCCD chips, I'd personally go with some Patriot Pc3200, or some Gskil Pc4400, depending on budget.

Watercooling, I'd say go DIY, but if you really want a kit, go with this: swiftech H20-120™

oh ya, its true that proc wont work, forgot that i changed the chip.

also you say why Intel? well i personaly like them more since my old Tbird i refused to go back ( lol i can hear the flames right now )
and why AGP well im not sure why, i havent keep up in the hardware world.
when i was starting PCI vcards were expensive, and + i dont know what it needs

what im looking for now is names / models to get a idea of what i should be looking for

also you mention DFI NF4 i'm not sure what that is, also the PCI Express x800/6800 i would assume thats the vcard specs?

and ya, the TCCD chips i have no idea what that is.

oh and the swiftech H20-120 does look good, read a few reviews.

Well sticking with what you have, but changing the Graphics Card to PCIe

You want an Abit AA8XE motherboard, Fantastic Motherboard. for Ram you will Need DDR 2, Batboy a Intel Sr runs Kingston Hypermax, I am looking at getting Crusial XMS 2 DDR2, there are many other brands, but for us Canadians those are the easiest 2 to get.

I have a thead in Vendor discussions
Here http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=363170

listing Canadian retailers you should be able to get a good deal on parts if you hunt through them and not have to worry about duties at the border

good luck, I suggest asking in the Intel Section about good ram choices, ideally the ABIT section for intel Mobos if you take my advice

what do you think about this

Corsair TWINX1024-4000PRO 2x512MB XMS PRO w/LEDs
or the
Corsair TWIN2X1024-4200 2x512MB XMS2 DDR2 533Mhz

my problem soo far is to make sure the mobo/cpu/ram/vcard make a good match

Back