• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a PC-complete newbie!-UK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayum

Registered
Ok i was looking to purchase a desktop PC but then i changed my mind and i thought i would rather build it myself, first of all i know how to build a PC but don't know anything about the best parts for my money, i was looking to purchase this:http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...m=null&tm=null&sku=140749&category_oid=-35430
but i am in no rush and i rather get the best for my money(student). The main usage for my computer would be browsing,converting movies and watching HD films but NO GAMING. The only thing I have is a 22" TV/monitor and keyboard-mouse. The only suggestion I have is that I want a small PC case as i have limited space and i want HDMI input so i can connect to the monitor, I happy to listen to all suggestions. BTW I live in England and my budget is around £250. THANK YOU:thup:

my sister has a core 2 duo laptop with 2gb ram and it does everything i need flawlessley, so i was thinking of getting a core 2 duo cpu or equivalent and get 2gb ram and i can upgrade this later, what else do i need to complete the computer because i swear you need a fan?

my sister has a core 2 duo laptop with 2gb ram and it does everything i need flawlessley, so i was thinking of getting a core 2 duo cpu or equivalent and get 2gb ram and i can upgrade this later, what else do i need to complete the computer because i swear you need a fan?

You can't afford a C2D. The cheapest available is a E7400 at ~$120. The E5300 I suggested in my Intel build is very very similar and is the best Intel chip you are going to get if you need everything within that budget.

You can't afford a C2D. The cheapest available is a E7400 at ~$120. The E5300 I suggested in my Intel build is very very similar and is the best Intel chip you are going to get if you need everything within that budget.
Would I need 4gb ram? And how much extra is the c2d? And how good is the computer is my 1st post.

The computer in your 1st post is fine, quad-core. But they don't say which mother board is in there. Also, 2GB of RAM is enough, 3GB would be perfect for Vista 32-bit.

But you can also take what is suggested here, Intel e5300, it is a fine CPU, or what I suggest, it's AMD competition Athlon 64 X2 Kuma 7850, both dual-cores with similar performance.

The computer in your 1st post is fine, quad-core. But they don't say which mother board is in there. Also, 2GB of RAM is enough, 3GB would be perfect for Vista 32-bit.

But you can also take what is suggested here, Intel e5300, it is a fine CPU, or what I suggest, it's AMD competition Athlon 64 X2 Kuma 7850, both dual-cores with similar performance.

Would I see the difference between the quad core and the dual core?

Depends on what you do. If you do basic stuff and game, no you won't. But sooner or later games will be optimized for 4 cores.

If you do a lot of CAD work, 4 cores are advantageous too
I play no games.might play football manager but that's it. The computer in my 1st post.seems really cheap.do you think its the best one to get or should i build my own one.

FM would benefit from more cores I guess b/c it is not a graphical game, but that info you could probably find on their site. Anyhow, about the quad-core system, I dunno. Depends on what mobo is inside. And would not hurt to know what RAM sticks and other components.

I play no games.might play football manager but that's it. The computer in my 1st post.seems really cheap.do you think its the best one to get or should i build my own one.

Personally I would build my own. The one you linked is a refurbed acer with unknown components. Beyond that the CPU is relatively pokey. For the vast majority of apps you will get better performance from either the E5300 or the AMD 7750. Quads are great but unless the majority of the apps you use will benefit then going all the way down to 1.8Ghz is just to much of a sacrifice.

So the best pc I am going to get is the intel one recommended earlier?do I have to buy a separate fan?

Either Intel or AMD that I proposed will do the job for you, so yes. And no, you don't need to buy a separate fan. Every CPU comes with it's own...

i found this:http://www.ebuyer.com/product/164667
this saves me a lot of work and looks half decent? if i upgrade the graphics card that is HDMI ready, would i be able to transfer sound and video via it?
sorry for being a pain in the arse.lol

Either Intel or AMD that I proposed will do the job for you, so yes. And no, you don't need to buy a separate fan. Every CPU comes with it's own...

Every retail CPU does, not OEM. Just want to be clear so the OP doesn't get in a spot.

OP: I like that system better than the first, it will give you better all around performance. It doesn't have an OS so figure that into your budget.

Every retail CPU does, not OEM. Just want to be clear so the OP doesn't get in a spot.

OP: I like that system better than the first, it will give you better all around performance. It doesn't have an OS so figure that into your budget.
Cheers for clearing that up, I have gathered together some parts which i think will be suitable, suggestions will be very handy.

Untitled.jpg

Cheers for clearing that up, I have gathered together some parts which i think will be suitable, suggestions will be very handy.

Untitled.jpg

Nothing wrong with that. I built my PC for £200 (before i upgraded the CPU) so i would say that it is easily doable. The components you chose are fine but i might suggest 4GB RAM. I'm a huge FM fan too (i'm playing in 2043 atm :) ) and i can tell you that it doesnt care about graphics cards but the better your processor and RAM the easier itl run. Since the E5200 is the best in that price range by a long shot (i bought it for my build) i would recommend pushing to 3 or 4 GB RAM (yeah, i know that 4GB isnt recognised but it tends to get sold in 2x2 or 4x1 packs).

EDIT- you won't need that CPU fan unless you want to o/c that chip past 3ghz. Since you said you're a beginner i can't imagine that you'll be wanting it. Also, don't you have any optical drives kicking about? From an old pc or anything? You can salvage old dvd drives to save costs. I've got 2 or 3 kicking about.

Back