• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building custome laptop cooler - water based

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chrisvw

Hi,
As I have an overclocked full aluminum laptop which due to its design dispenses a big amount of heat through its body and gets uncomfortably hot (60+ Degrees - meassured with heat gun) during demanding gaming sessions I was thinking of building my own laptop cooler.
As of now I have two designs in my head and wanted to hear your thoughts on them:

1. Water colled -- I take a standard 3 fan laptop cooler and place several connected small cooper pipes on the top and the bottom of the cooler which are then connected to a small usb water pump. The laptop would rest on the top copper pipes and transmit the heat to the bottom pipes where it is able to cool down (possibly I would also install cooling fins on the bottom)

2. Copper based -- Take laptop stance (no fans) and cut a rectangle into it. Then I take one of my old desktop GPU cooler (Accelero XTREME 9800 - http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...lero-xtreme-gtx-acceleroxtreme_gtx280_01l.jpg) and connect a 15cm x 15cm copper plate (with a few holes drilled into – for air flow) to where normally the graphic card goes. If everything goes smoothly the copperplate will be on top of the laptop stance and the GPU cooler connected to the bottom.

Both options would cost me less the $50.

So what do you thing will yield the better results?
Would you do it differently?

Best,
Chris

Last edited:
Just have a fan (built into the stand) blowing on the bottom. Cheap and very effective. Even the cheap fans will work just fine.

Thanks for your answer.

but I am asking this question because the standard laptop fan is not working for me (actually no noticable difference...)

here two drawings of the design:

cooler_New_Page.png

both designs will barely work, if at all.... because heat transfer through (small) rubber feet is almost non-existent. Meaning you rely on radiation, which is the least efficient form of thermal transfer

If you want to conduct the heat away from the laptop casing, you need direct contact ; as large a surface as possible. Meaning: rig the laptop stand with a large one-piece (industrial/electronics) heatsink -with a fan underneat- and the laptop case resting on that HS -as much contact as possible. A bit like the 2nd design but better. :)
However, since you need metal to metal contact... you'll have to live with the scratches.

And since i feel the arguments coming: Surface is everything ! :)

Back