• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building my first Pc. With no experience at all!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimmy-

Hello all.
So I'll quickly start with why I'm here. I needed a new pc as my Toshiba laptop has been dying for a year now.
Deciding that pre-made pc's are not good value for money, I'd build my own.

So far I have bought:
Thermaltake View 27 case
Corsair CX450 psu
Gigabyte - 990x Gaming SLI Motherboard
AMD FX-6300 six core CPU
3x Cooler master 2000 rpm fans
My budget isn't high as I only really need the pc for casual gaming and doing some standard work on. But as it has a big side view window, it'd be nice for it to look good.
My problem now is, what memory will I need thats not just a waste of money? What GPU will I need to be a casual gamer? And what OS as Microsoft want to rob me of £100 for the privilege of using windows 10.

Any help or friendly advice would be a massive help, as I feel I may be over my head with some things.
Thanks

I have already bought the components mentioned.
Those GPU's are £200 - £270 cards. That is way way more than I need and can afford.

a rx 470 or a gtx 1050/1050ti.

the used market could have been a possibility, but your PSU might not cut it for a 7970/280x.

Edit:

A gtx 970 used would do (150W).

Wil you overclock the CPU?

And may I ask why you went with FX and not Ryzen?

Edit 2:

For the memory, 2x8GB of the cheapest 1866MHz DDR3 memory you find will do (Gskill is my brand of choice though...).

Last edited:
No, no need to overclock to be honest.
It is only meant to be a good looking build that functions at playing games to a reasonable level. I won't need it to be smashing out overwatch on ultra 100fps.....
The processor was on offer at the time and I didn't want to buy one 2nd hand. I may well go up if I find it being really bad. It kind of matched my budget at the time of buying a motherboard (which was also on an offer)

How much can you spend (or how much do you want to spend) on the video card? Now is a terrible time to be buying mid range graphics cards because the bit coin miners have driven the prices up. When the bit coin mining market takes a down turn the prices will go back down.

Also, where do you buy from? Can you link a vendor for us?

How much can you buy a 750 Ti 4gb for where you are? I'm seeing the price of those come back down to earth more recently in the US and they have a little pop to them so as to be adequate for moderate gaming if details aren't set too high. It would be a good match for you CPU which will be the bottleneck in a lot of games.

You have chosen a CPU with no integrated GPU so you are kind of in a bind and need to get a video card of some kine real quick to be able to use the computer.

I've been buying from Ebuyer.com - Maplin.co.uk - and some small local shops.
I don't know about a budget yet. The graphics card doesn't need to be amazing as I won't need to stream games or worry about higher frame rates.
So I could probably go for a low/middle range card then right?

A 750 ti 4gb would be probably ebay as it's a discontinued card. So about £130 - £170 maybe

I've been buying from Ebuyer.com - Maplin.co.uk - and some small local shops.
I don't know about a budget yet. The graphics card doesn't need to be amazing as I won't need to stream games or worry about higher frame rates.
So I could probably go for a low/middle range card then right?

A 750 ti 4gb would be probably ebay as it's a discontinued card. So about £130 - £170 maybe

No, the 750Ti is not a discontinued product. They are still being manufactured and sold new. Saw one the other day on NewEgg for $125 US. But ebay is another option.

My apologies! I was thinking 1050Ti and typed 750Ti. Yes, the 1050 Ti 4gb would be a good option for you I believe.

If the cpu\mb are still un-opened I would highly consider returning them. I know the prices slashed on that stuff recently but its bc its crap. How much was it on sale?
I'd highly recommend going with one of these:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd...ache-65w-cpu-retailplus-wraith-stealth-cooler
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/int...hread-36ghz-6mb-cache-1100mhz-gpu-65w-cpu-box

If you go Intel you can use the onboard video for a little while. It will do some casual gaming. Buying out of date stuff that wasn't any good when it was new is never a good idea. Those old AMD boards were often nightmares and if you have problems with it now your up a creek.

I suggest some Linux distro for the OS. Ubuntu/Kubuntu used to be the recommendation for beginners but now some are suggesting Linux Mint instead.

Been looking into the same thing for a mate recently who had the same "issue". Stay away from the FX and get a ryzen instead since the AM4 socket will be supported upto 2019 so upgrading in the mean time is no problem.
Memory 8 GB is the bare mininum imo, and alot of people are now upgrading their 8 Gb to 16 Gb or more so there are options for used, same goes for a GPU a 1050 TI or 1060 used or new should suffice (a 970 used is also a option). On the psu side I would advice getting a Corsair CM550X (high quality build for a very good price) otherwise check for a used Seasonic G-series (these are great quality and could be cheap used, and semi modular). if you have windows 7 you can use this for key for upgrading to windows 10 (yes its still possible last time i check this year)

the issue is weather he can return them or not, we need an answer to that first and what's the total budget, does he have a mouse, keyboard and monitor, what resolution monitor?
the fx is not total crap, it is usable, and I should know, I have a few of the around.........

If he can't, it is no big deal either... It will work with a 1050 ti.

Best would be to return and swap, but if not an option. It is still a decent gaming platform, as soon as it is overclocked to 4.5GHz (formality with a 212...).

4.5 is all he needs, and a 212 will get him there with ease, I really don't see any issues either way and I can agree on 16 gigs of ram, in gtaV I see my system ram usage well over 13 gigs, but for a budget rig 8 gigs will still do if we avoid mods, hair stuff and ultra high graphics settings and 30-60 fps is playable and nice.

Yup. 4.5Ghz rock steady, 16gb of ram and a 1050ti will do justice for what he needs including some late night gaming with decent framerates.

Apologies for late reply.
As luck would have it, the mobo I was sent out had components missing. So both mobo and cpu went back.
I will only be playing casual games. Not too fussed about high fps or high settings.
Have picked up a GTX 750ti that should suffice.

Back