• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building new rig! Need suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Check out Dazmode.com for water cooling parts He also has some "kits" with quality parts . I have ordered from him a few times IMO best WC site in canada .

For a Custom system I wouldn't go less than a 120x3 + 120x2 . If you want nice temps with low fan speed .

You want watercooling while being within budget along with all the bells and whistles of RGB bling? Build a NZXT eco-system. NZXT AIO for CPU and GPU (bracket). They have ones that have RGB controls as well as a hub that controls their fans/RGB. You'll spend less at the end and will love the look of your rig as you can change its color theme at any moments notice. It will look great if done right instead of having the worries of custom H20 and the best part of it all, maintenance-free. Money left over can go to better parts for the rest of the build or saved for future upgrades.

Actually I don't much care for RGB, if it comes with it great, if not, no big deal.

mann you have alotttt options man with that kinda budget and quality stuff. I don't know still to question the nicer alittle more high end aio's. or you want spend the time with allll that big ugly case madness loop and leak proofing madness and thatttt maintenance and maintaining.

mann you have alotttt options man with that kinda budget and quality stuff. I don't know still to question the nicer alittle more high end aio's. or you want spend the time with allll that big ugly case madness loop and leak proofing madness and thatttt maintenance and maintaining.

THIS
I'm currently going back over all my choices. I checked my budget, I just can't afford a second 1080 ti. Problem is I do have too many options. I have no clue what I want, I can honestly go every way.

What are your goals for this system if just gaming you could spend alot less than your budget .

What are your goals for this system if just gaming you could spend alot less than your budget .

I do appreciate all the help you guys have given me, and I actually did decide to go with i7 8700k. Hopefully the kraken x62 will be able to support it up to 5GHz. and I actually decided to go for RGB build haha.

what do you guys think?

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RfYC7h

Or this: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZsRX4C think the Asus Maximus X hero is worth the extra money?

Overall cheaper, was thinking of buying a nice chair with the leftover money,

Last edited:
I do appreciate all the help you guys have given me, and I actually did decide to go with i7 8700k. Hopefully the kraken x62 will be able to support it up to 5GHz. and I actually decided to go for RGB build haha.

what do you guys think?

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RfYC7h

Or this: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZsRX4C think the Asus Maximus X hero is worth the extra money?

Overall cheaper, was thinking of buying a nice chair with the leftover money,

Just want the newest ****? lol...that 7700k and z270 even is stilll going to do everythinggg for some time...and plenty of headroom. I don't know everyone thinks Asus is king of the mobo world or something when like everybody else just got alotta undeserved **** or something lol.

My advice owning Intel and amd now Threadripper. I would say if gaming is going to be your thing. 7700k will give you every single FPS. If you plan to threat your rig as a hybrid gaming/workstation/streaming. Then Ryzen 1600X/1700X/1800X will do just fine.

As far as water cooling over AIO, coming from and air cooler guy that was scared to so any of them. I would recommend custom water cooling. I did it, was easy the more I install and removing the loop plus experimenting. I feel safe and conformable with custom over aio.

Overall you can't go wrong with most today builds and 4C/8T to 6C/12T is all you need for gaming.

My advice owning Intel and amd now Threadripper. I would say if gaming is going to be your thing. 7700k will give you every single FPS. If you plan to threat your rig as a hybrid gaming/workstation/streaming. Then Ryzen 1600X/1700X/1800X will do just fine.

As far as water cooling over AIO, coming from and air cooler guy that was scared to so any of them. I would recommend custom water cooling. I did it, was easy the more I install and removing the loop plus experimenting. I feel safe and conformable with custom over aio.

Overall you can't go wrong with most today builds and 4C/8T to 6C/12T is all you need for gaming.

Same build but with Ryzen 5 1700x

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/DmMHPs

Switched out the M2 drive for normal SSD.

Same build but with Ryzen 5 1700x

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/DmMHPs

Switched out the M2 drive for normal SSD.

For gaming with a 1080Ti, I'd go back to the i7-8700K with the M.2 NVMe drive. While my Ryzen 5 1600 OC'd to 3.9 GHz has no problem keeping up with my standard 1080, it would bottleneck a 1080Ti under some circumstances. Why do you think you'd be better off with a slower 8C/16T CPU over a faster 6C/12T CPU?

For gaming with a 1080Ti, I'd go back to the i7-8700K with the M.2 NVMe drive. While my Ryzen 5 1600 OC'd to 3.9 GHz has no problem keeping up with my standard 1080, it would bottleneck a 1080Ti under some circumstances. Why do you think you'd be better off with a slower 8C/16T CPU over a faster 6C/12T CPU?

Because people keep giving contradictory opinions :) One person says AMD other says Intel haha. It's hard to choose.

I believe that Intel has the most compatibility in games right now and even though AMD is doing great. If you want to be safe from old and new games I guess going Intel will not hurt. Intel+NVIDIA+G-SYNC = Smooth gaming for years to come.

Because people keep giving contradictory opinions :) One person says AMD other says Intel haha. It's hard to choose.

what they are saying is ryzen is ok . want the best fps get the 8700k period . Ryzen is really no better @ gaming than a 2600k/3770k/4770k (prob worse than the last)

Does the M.2 really make a difference? I could save a bit of money and get the normal SSD version. I've heard they overheat easilly and don't increase real world speed by very much.

M.2 if you ran some calculation to see the read and write numbers are impressive but honestly get the largest SSD you can get and you will be super happy. Some of those M.2 get hot so why worry about that when you can enjoy a large SSD. ;) Also Ryzen is great for those that have a specific budget and I mean my 1700 did great. There was no need to upgrade to the Threadripper but I do heavy stuff now on my system from, Audio Recording, Video Editing, Game Development using Unity and Unreal Engine which I am learning the game developing stuff. I plan to keep my system for a very long time. Other wise I would had kept the 1700 since it was working fine for me. But systems I ran that was really good was the 3930K miss that system and 6700K. I can just imagen how the 8700K will do with gaming and other task that are not heavy threaded.

Back