• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building new rig! Need suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was looking at the EK A240 kit to as it's almost the same price, but people say to avoid that one as well, what do you think?

That's because it's Aluminum. If you're going to spend money on wc gear, spend it right. Aluminum doesn't dissipate heat as well as copper/brass. That swiftech kit is copper/brass but the block's top is acrylic. If you decide on the EK kit, get the kit with copper/brass rads, not aluminum.

https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/

If you're going to go cheap on watercooling, best to go air cooling instead and save yourself the headaches of cheap parts that will fail.

That's because it's Aluminum. If you're going to spend money on wc gear, spend it right. Aluminum doesn't dissipate heat as well as copper/brass. That swiftech kit is copper/brass but the block's top is acrylic. If you decide on the EK kit, get the kit with copper/brass rads, not aluminum.

If you're going to go cheap on watercooling, best to go air cooling instead and save yourself the headaches of cheap parts that will fail.

Could I get to high overclocks (5GHz on 8700k) on air with a Noctua NH-D15?

Yeah swiftech's stuff could do something nice. yeah aluminum rads are **** lol...just put a nicer rad on that ek kit.

I agree the Nh-d15 is a heck of a Cooler. I vote for that over any AIO.

yeah or just do that find get whatever mounting for the d14/15, I think I lost most of the mounting and **** I don't know where any of those or right damn spacers went lol...and yeah just whatever could get out of it on new rigs or just whatever or something lol...still think it's gonna be a bit warmer under load though....

That's not a bad little kit though looks like to have fun with...like he's saying though could have a bit better block and rad though....copper and brass copper and brass lol

That's not a bad little kit though looks like to have fun with...like he's saying though could have a bit better block and rad though....copper and brass copper and brass lol

Silver and gold silver and gold...nothings quite better than silver and gold!

Silver and gold silver and gold...nothings quite better than silver and gold!

lol...it probably still does alright though, even the base cold-plate is aluminum though....but it's still a block though so it's going to do better regardless what it is..aluminum and nickel is baddd still lol

do not listen to me though a 120 and a 240 hooked up on the ****tiest pump I think or something...nothing in it but pretty hard water...no coolant/additive even though they still should have something in it whatever it is...and it's horrible lol might be worse lol...may not even register the difference hard the tell...because there's no pressure and flow and yeah aluminum sucks lol

I do think you could still use and benefit from the 360 man honestly...even closed they still do alittle better surely as long got some actual solution in there, it does help get rid of that heat.

So good kit?

One thing I was wondering, the included pump in the L360, EK-XRES 100 DDC MX 3.1, as I add more to it, how much could I add, radiator and GPU block wise, before the pump wouldn't be strong enough?

Last edited:
So good kit?

One thing I was wondering, the included pump in the L360, EK-XRES 100 DDC MX 3.1, as I add more to it, how much could I add, radiator and GPU block wise, before the pump wouldn't be strong enough?

yeah THAT start doing more radness stuff nicer fittings alittle nicer rez/pump block? I don't know sure it's a good pump...you think it was everrrr worth blocking gpu's though? I think they fixed that they don't run 80-90c anymore I don't know lol

Back