• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building photo editing rig for wife, help needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ringside

Registered
Hi all,

I’m trying to replace my wife’s 10 year old laptop with a desktop computer, however I’m kind of out of the loop as far as parts go.

I was wondering if I could possibly get some suggestions for a motherboard, CPU and memory.

Could I build a decent editing system for under $500?

Thanks all.

Knowing the editing software you’re going to use can us help tailor the parts for your needs.

Knowing the editing software you’re going to use can us help tailor the parts for your needs.

Of course, my apologies. She pretty much uses most of the Adobe family of products. Very little to no video editing. Mainly photographs, but her current machine is pretty bad.

Sounds like both of you are not computer friendly and for that reason I would not suggest building one. Case, mobo, cpu, memory, gpu, hd('s), power supply, monitor, and don't forget the maintenance required to make it all work just so you can boot. Forget updates and personalization. That's a lot of money and time before you can even start using it. For user specific tasks, school, a gift, that kind of thing, you want to make it easy on yourself and her which is why I would recommend a Surface Pro. Portable, powerful, convertible T/S, which essentially just requires one to update and configure what you want it to run. The Pro 6 with an Intel I5 8g ram and 128g ssd is $700 w/free shipping on amazon. The extra $200 is for not having to go through with building and maintaining a new pc. Nice screen, super light and portable. To a 10yr old laptop it will seem like you have entered the modern age. My 2 cents. I'd buy one but I already have a nice t/s tablet.
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-Intel-Core-128GB/dp/B07HZPCWD8
Also check premade bundles. Newegg has all in one setups for around and under $500. https://www.newegg.com/All-in-One-Computers/SubCategory/ID-3309?Tid=167893
Prebuilt pc's as well but you'd still need to get peripherals like keyboard mouse and screen etc. https://www.newegg.com/Desktop-Computers/Category/ID-228?Tid=19095
The issue with these is pretty much the same as above. Maintenance and upgrades. High maintenance and upgrading will be a limited and $ process. With a Surface pro it's low maintenance and just a matter of considering which accessories to buy such as a much larger screen to push her work to.
Your choice of course.

Last edited:
Could I build a decent editing system for under $500?
What does she bring to the party? Do you need to buy a new monitor, keyboard and mouse with that $500 too?

As for building it yourself, I'm all for it. If you know how to use a #2 Phillips screwdriver, have a nice big table and well lighted area, and a little patience, just about anybody can assemble a computer. It really is not as hard as many suggest. For sure, most motherboard manuals (which you can download and become familiar with while awaiting delivery) are very helpful in instructing and illustrating how to assemble components. And it sure is a great learning experience too. However, it does mean the onus for tech support is on you.

If going with a PC (instead of a notebook) I sure recommend building it yourself. Another reason for this is when you install Windows (and I sure recommend 64-bit Windows 10), you will install a "clean" version of it. With a notebook or a factory built PC (Dell, HP, etc.), your computer will be full of unnecessary, and bloated software (appropriately called, "crapware"). Some may even be malicious! Lenovo, for example, has a long, and repeating :mad: history of installing malicious software on their computers so I sure recommend avoiding their products even though, admittedly, they make good stuff.

A great site to help potential builders select compatible hardware is PCPartPicker. Check it out. It will even help you size up your power supply requirements. Don't forget a new computer needs a new operating system license.

Alternatively, many local computer repair shops will assemble a new computer for you. Yes, they charge a fee, but you then have someone local to can talk face-to-face with. And if you buy the components through them, they typically help with warranty/tech support too. At least I did with my shop, as do most of my colleagues in this area.

For sure, it is very difficult to beat the factory makers on price. They can go to ASUS, Microsoft, Intel, or AMD as examples, and promise to buy 1,000,000 units over the next year and demand and get great volume discounts. But IMO, paying a little extra in this case is well worth it. Not only do you NOT have to deal with crapware, when you buy and assemble your own components, you can rest assured they comply with the ATX Form Factor standard. This ensures the ASUS motherboard will fit inside a Fractal Design case, support Corsair RAM, Samsung SSD, WD hard drive, MSI graphics card, and be powered by a EVGA power supply. With factory made computers, there is a good chance they will use proprietary components - never good for consumers, IMO.

Sadly, if you go with a notebook, you are stuck with proprietary parts. :(

Yes, and building it yourself is a great learning experience that can put you on the road to becoming techno self-sufficient. And that can save you money in the long run from not having to pay those computer repair shop fees. But it does take time and a commitment to learning something that tends to be very detail oriented and has its own language of terminology and acronyms.

But it does take time and a commitment to learning something that tends to be very detail oriented and has its own language of terminology and acronyms.
I find the biggest time consumer is the decision/research process.

Much of the problem with the self-build industry today is there are just too many viable and quality options to choose from. For example, despite what the fanboys want each other to believe, both AMD and Intel make great, reliable processors. While I happen to prefer Intel, I concede that AMD platformed computers are a great choice too. While I happen to prefer Gigabyte motherboards, ASUS and MSI (and others) make great and reliable motherboards too. Both AMD and NVIDIA make great and reliable graphics cards. It is almost impossible to find RAM that is not warrantied for life. Ever heard of OLOy RAM? Me either but even it is warrantied for life.

@Ringside - You have already taken the first two most important steps; you defined your needs and you set your budget. :)

But we really need you decide the course of action you wish to take from here. The fact you are looking for motherboard, CPU and RAM options suggests to me you are going to put this together yourself, or you have someone doing it for you. That's great. But do you want to go Intel or AMD? This is really just a personal choice, akin to do you like red or blue better?

Some may argue you should go AMD because they cost less. Well, at the top-tier levels that is certainly true. But not so as you move down the line. For example, the AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Quad-Core 3.6 GHz (3.GHz Turbo) currently goes for $130 while the Intel Core i3-9100F Coffee Lake 4-Core 3.6GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) goes for $95. And as seen here, the Intel rates comparably or slightly better in just about every category with the final comments from the author reporting the Intel gives, "Insane value for money!" Of course there are examples where AMD shines too. I am just pointing out the argument that many pose claiming AMD is cheaper is simply bogus. It's about doing your homework and filtering out the biased nonsense.

Plus, once you factor in the cost of the motherboard, RAM, drives, case, power supply, Windows and other software licenses, monitor, keyboard, mouse and other peripherals, then spread those costs over the expected 3 - 5+ years of use for the computer, any extra cost for a more expensive CPU (regardless the brand) becomes a wash - or darn close to it.

IMO, a good case and power supply form the foundation for a good computer that can support you and several "evolutions" of upgrades for years to come. So "investing" a little more here can pay valuable dividends down the road. Do you need a new case too? I like Fractal Design cases and have been using them almost exclusively in all our builds in the last couple of years with no regrets. A good case is well built and "true". By true, I mean exactly 90.0° bends in the sheet metal. Sheet metal edges will be finished (rolled or files so they don't shred your knuckles). The case will provide good cable management options and have plenty of large (preferably 140mm or larger) fan options. And for me, the case must have removable, washable air filters.

What about a PSU? I tend to lean towards the EVGA G2 or G3 Golds but Seasonic is a great, reliable brand too. Regardless, pick a reputable, known brand PSU and one that is 80 PLUS certified at least Bronze, preferably Gold. Going above Gold to Platinum or Titanium may get you a more efficient supply, but it would take many years (if ever!) to make up for the extra cost. Modular PSUs are nice because they reduce clutter in the case which makes for easier cleaning, a nicer appearance and may help with air flow. But sadly, there is no industry standard the connectors used on the PSU side of those cables. So unused cables from PSU A must be stored separately (possibly for several years!) from PSU B - even if they are the same brand! :( This may not be a problem if you only have 1 or 2 computers. But if you have several, it can be a PITA. In terms of performance or reliability, there is nothing superior to modular supplies. In fact, some may argue hard-wired cables of non-modular supplies are more reliable because there are fewer connectors and splices the voltages need to pass through.

Is it possible to build a computer for $500...? If you are starting from scratch, no. And if she is doing professional editing, your monitor will be over $500, in itself (24” will work but should shoot for a 27-32”, if doing desktop). Figure $2500-4000, to do it correctly.

Surface is not a bad way to go, depending on what color scheme she is using sRGB is 99% coverage, RGB is 76%, and probably the cheapest option with decent color representation...but still over your $500 budget. Would suggest watching for Prime Day and see if they discount it any further than it is (roughly $1K, with surface cover).
One down side of the surface - screen is around 12”. Again, can be done, but personally prefer at least a 15” for laptop, when editing. IF money was not a concern - ASUS ROG would be top choice; Dell XPS 15 with 4K panel would be behind that, or maybe a Carbon X1 Extreme. For more reasonable pricing but again, over your budget, would look for a 2015 15” MacBook Pro (no touchbar). Hard to find on Apple site but worth it if you can. Good luck!

First, I agree with a lot of what is written above. Having worked with a Surface I would recommend staying away or buying the extended coverage. We had all switched over at a previous job and 50% had various issues. Mine had a bad docking port. So when I plugged it into the dock for dual screens and larger keyboard and mouse I have screen interference. It was the port as I tried with multiple docks.

Moving on check out my thread here. The reason why I am showing you that is because of the value of building on an older workstation. You don't have to go quite as old as I had. I bought the base system for $20 so it was hard to justify to go with any other system.

Here is a way for you to go. Its got a lot already on it, you would just be upgrading it.

Dell T5500 Workstation $262 shipped

• 2x X5650 2.66GHz 6-Core
  • 36GB RAM
  • 2TB HDD

Samsung 500GB SSD $78 shipped

ASRock RX570 4GB $140 shipped

So you are $480 shipped to your door before tax. 12 cores & 24 threads. Not sure how well Adobe can use all of that. Likewise with the 36GB of RAM. its DDR3 and I doubt you would be able to upgrade as I bet all 6 slots will likely be filled. But what program (that she would use) would need more than 36GB of RAM? And you can grab a Windows 10 key for less than $3 on eBay.

Yes you have to get your hands dirty. But luckily the bones are prebuilt for you. All you will have to do is plug in the new video card and SSD. The case is almost toolless so to install those you won't need anything more than you hands and a ziptie (to hold down the SSD.)

What about monitor and keyboard/mouse? Keyboard & mouse personally I would look for a good price on a clearance somewhere or check out Newegg's Logitech section.

As for monitor I highly recommend joining your local buy nothing group on Facebook. I got a 22" HP and a 24" Gateway free from there. No point in spending a hundred or so on a monitor when you can get a decent one for free (or near free if you check out Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace/Offer Up.)

I know some people will be critical. I am just giving you another avenue.

Stompah, I could not agree more except for the monitor. Most Adobe stuff runs fine on single core so should be fine. But with editing of photos, depending on where they will be viewed, the monitor and calibration tool is usually the most important, and expensive. I have an older system I am updating, as well, but mostly because a GOOD 27-32" monitor is at least $1K, and some of the better consumer grades are at $5K. Right now, need to spend the $1500-2000 on that, as the rest is just speed.
Thanks for making me aware, as I did not know old servers like that could be purchased...been worrying about the cost to build a NAS, from the ground up, which apparently I do not need to do! So again, thank you!

mpicasso, older workstations are usually built for this kind of task. It helps that multi thousand dollar machines now go for pennies on the dollar.

And I could not agree with you more on the monitor. Remember them going from a 10 year old laptop to a 22" mid-range monitor is a heck of an upgrade. Especially if they small one for free.

mpicasso, older workstations are usually built for this kind of task. It helps that multi thousand dollar machines now go for pennies on the dollar.

No doubt there! Will be a huge help for me building an actual home server, as opposed to having just a NAS.

And I could not agree with you more on the monitor. Remember them going from a 10 year old laptop to a 22" mid-range monitor is a heck of an upgrade. Especially if they small one for free.

I agree that going from a 10 yo laptop to a 22” mid-range is a huge upgrade...unless she was using a 17” MBP. OP’s question was how to build a “computer” in the $500 range, which you have more than adequately shown him how to do!!! Depending on the PURPOSE of these photos (professional vs personal) would, in my eyes, make a difference on what kind of monitor to choose, such as how easy it is to calibrate, what are the color levels/gamma/delta to begin with, even if calibrated. But again, that would assume she is making money off of this and can recoup the additional costs of said monitor.

mpicasso said:
Is it possible to build a computer for $500...? If you are starting from scratch, no. And if she is doing professional editing, your monitor will be over $500, in itself (24” will work but should shoot for a 27-32”, if doing desktop). Figure $2500-4000, to do it correctly.
Sorry, but I really cannot agree with this at all. Yes, with a little homework it is possible, even easy to build a computer for $500. Will it be a speed demon? Of course not. But will it work for most purposes - even photo editing? Sure.

Pretty sure no one is talking about professional quality editing requirements. We are talking "photo editing" with Adobe products. Even today's Intel and AMD integrated processors can handle those tasks with aplomb - as long as there is enough RAM - and still run circles around most any 10 year old notebook.

A decent 24" monitor is fine. Bigger does not imply better quality. A larger quality monitor will surely blow the budget.

We need the OP to come back with answers to our questions and more information. Is his wife a professional photographer where a professional-grade monitor is needed for her profession and business? I suspect not or I doubt she would be using a 10 year old notebook for this in the first place. I suspect these are family photos and a hobby - but I may be wrong.

As far as monitor calibration, I personally am all for that - but that's me as I use a multiple monitor setup so I want all monitors to display the same shade/hue of blue, for example. But a professional photographer would also want what they see on the monitor to appear on the printout. So are we talking about calibrating the monitor display to a professional-grade photo printer? Is it absolutely essential the grass at the wedding reception is the exact shade of green the guests saw under their feet. Or are we just talking about keeping these photos in digital format in which case, they are likely to be viewed on all sorts of monitors and perhaps TVs that have never been properly calibrated.

I don't get the impression we are talking that level of precision. If we are, then I agree a $500 budget won't cut it - not when professional grade "workstation" graphics cards (which is what a professional would need) can cost $5,500 just for the card.

Remember them going from a 10 year old laptop to a 22" mid-range monitor is a heck of an upgrade.
Where did this 22" monitor come from? As far as we know, there currently is no monitor so one is needed within that $500 budget.

Bill, 22" monitor came from me suggesting looking for a free monitor. Not the best solution. But there are free monitors to be had if you look.

Thanks for that. Yeah my last pair of monitors for my main machine were 22" monitors which I was perfectly happy with - until I tried a pair of 24". They quickly spoiled me. ;)

Sorry, but I really cannot agree with this at all. Yes, with a little homework it is possible, even easy to build a computer for $500. Will it be a speed demon? Of course not. But will it work for most purposes - even photo editing? Sure.

My apologies, as I was thinking of building it from the ground up, with new(-er) components, not being aware of used server systems being available.

Pretty sure no one is talking about professional quality editing requirements. We are talking "photo editing" with Adobe products. Even today's Intel and AMD integrated processors can handle those tasks with aplomb - as long as there is enough RAM - and still run circles around most any 10 year old notebook.

A decent 24" monitor is fine. Bigger does not imply better quality. A larger quality monitor will surely blow the budget.

We need the OP to come back with answers to our questions and more information. Is his wife a professional photographer where a professional-grade monitor is needed for her profession and business? I suspect not or I doubt she would be using a 10 year old notebook for this in the first place. I suspect these are family photos and a hobby - but I may be wrong.

I think there can truly be no other options offered as too much variance lies in the OP’s request and members idea of what they are looking for. When you say Adobe products, there is a HUGE difference between using Lightroom and Photoshop, not only in the taxing of the system but also the learning curve. Most people use Lightroom for “touch up”, professionals will use Photoshop, GIMP, or a variant, working in RAW.
My 1st photo editing laptop was a MacBook Pro 17”, no retina displays, and it worked for a NUMBER of years. It was discontinued in 2012, so in my mind, it is a possibility that that was the choice of laptop and has finally just gotten long in the tooth...again, assumptions being made.
For family photos - this was the WHOLE reason I got in to photo-editing to begin with! I would send “edited” photos to the printer, for them to come back different than what they looked like on my screen/camera. After spending a few thousand dollars on an SLR and lenses, it became frustrating, so delved in to the problems: monitor, calibration, and printer settings at printhouse. Realized then that when I built my system, to do photo editing, I focused on the wrong thing, which was NOT my monitor and calibration equipment. And for me, a hobby photographer, I find 24” to be a great 2nd monitor but think 27-32” works best as the primary.

As far as monitor calibration, I personally am all for that - but that's me as I use a multiple monitor setup so I want all monitors to display the same shade/hue of blue, for example. But a professional photographer would also want what they see on the monitor to appear on the printout. So are we talking about calibrating the monitor display to a professional-grade photo printer? Is it absolutely essential the grass at the wedding reception is the exact shade of green the guests saw under their feet. Or are we just talking about keeping these photos in digital format in which case, they are likely to be viewed on all sorts of monitors and perhaps TVs that have never been properly calibrated.

Things can be much easier than what you suggest though much depends on the monitor, itself. Is it calibratable? How convenient is it do to and what are the limitations? even after calibration, what is the gamma/delta and where does it fall within the sRGB/RGB profile? As suggested elswhere, these take doing some homework but once you have said monitor, using the tools I have listed below will provide a “professional” look to it, for what I would consider a nominal price. As far as printing, I do not own a professional-grade photo printer, and never will. I have a few places I print to and have their color calibration loaded in to my computer. When I view the print, I am 99.9% confident it will come out exactly as it looks on the screen.
Going above that - if doing JUST webpages, Facebook, etc., I would do not anything more than sRGB (and would shoot as such). For printing, I would do at least RGB, and see what color scheme the print shop uses, whether it is RGB or CMYK (if photography store/print shop, most likely the latter) and change accordingly. In levels of “pop”, on a CMYK printer: CMYK>RGB>sRGB
https://www.adorama.com/icvs5el100.html?utm_source=rflaid913479
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N94IDFJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_PI1iDbRW4ZE14

I don't get the impression we are talking that level of precision. If we are, then I agree a $500 budget won't cut it - not when professional grade "workstation" graphics cards (which is what a professional would need) can cost $5,500 just for the card.
I have not seen ANYTHING that would suggest someone doing strictly photo, even video, editing would need a video card of that magnitude (that thing is a BEAST). Even a GTX-1080Ti or RX580 probably would be overkill, with the only thought of being future-proofed, as Adobe HOPEFULLY continues to develop around the advancements of recent technological upgrades.
And who knows...maybe Bill, you are 100% spot on and I am WAAAAY off base. But definitely agree that the OP needs to give a better idea of what they are looking for, so recommendations can be given properly.

mpicasso said:
My apologies, as I was thinking of building it from the ground up, with new(-er) components, not being aware of used server systems being available.
Ummm, no where did I mention or even imply using used (or server system) components.

You said it was not possible to build a computer from scratch for $500. That is just not true. It took me about 5 minutes to put this list of all new components together with $80 to spare. And for the record, none of the choices were the least expensive. All components were name brand (not generic) and note that price even includes 8GB of RAM, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers and even a legitimate license for W10. On PCPartPicker alone, there are over 2 dozen graphics cards for less than $80 - if I wanted to replace the integrated and still stay under that $500 budget - including shipping!

Again, is this a speed demon? No. But I suspect it is better than the 10 year old notebook currently being used.

As for the rest of your comments, again, we need the OP to come back with clarification.

Ummm, no where did I mention or even imply using used (or server system) components.

You said it was not possible to build a computer from scratch for $500. That is just not true. It took me about 5 minutes to put this list of all new components together with $80 to spare. And for the record, none of the choices were the least expensive. All components were name brand (not generic) and note that price even includes 8GB of RAM, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers and even a legitimate license for W10. On PCPartPicker alone, there are over 2 dozen graphics cards for less than $80 - if I wanted to replace the integrated and still stay under that $500 budget - including shipping!

Again, is this a speed demon? No. But I suspect it is better than the 10 year old notebook currently being used.

As for the rest of your comments, again, we need the OP to come back with clarification.

You have made your point...and as you have said, “we need the OP to come back with clarification”. For the list you provided, I was unable to view it but I have no intent, or interest, in arguing. I will say this: our interpretations of what the OP was thinking/meaning are WAAAY off base of each other. Monitor is THE most important, must be calibratable, and lastly, if using Adobe software, HIGHLY recommended to have at least 16 Gb’s. And as trents pointed out to me, on a post i created, it does not make sense to throw money in to something that will not be usable as tasked...so as I stated before, this continued commentary, especially on my end, is useless until OP offers more clarity.

Google setups for photo editing...
https://photographylife.com/the-ultimate-pc-build-for-photography-needs/
https://fstoppers.com/originals/ult...oto-and-video-editing-desktop-computer-175962
https://digitalphotographycourses.co.za/best-computer-photo-editing/
https://www.adorama.com/alc/whats-the-best-desktop-computer-for-photo-editing
(There is a $559 computer on here...but still over the $500 mark)

https://turbofuture.com/computers/Build-Photo-Editing-PC
See chart listed here, as I wanted to be fair and provide detail from your side of the argument - the list a Ryzen 3 or i3, something I would NEVER, personally, put in to one of my photo edit builds.

At the end of the day, they make all kinds of different things for the varying budgets people have. Many of you have overclocked your machine, approaching many more dollars than what I would EVER think of. That said, I have some pretty expensive rod/reel combos that most people would not agree with (inshore setup for snook is in the $600 range, for 1 rig). I would assume the purpose of this thread, and most places as such, are to disseminate information, which I believe we both have done, using varying viewpoints. So in the end, thank you for taking the time to provide knowledge gained from your experiences and education.

For the list you provided, I was unable to view it
Not sure why. It works fine here on two different systems.

I will say this: our interpretations of what the OP was thinking/meaning are WAAAY off base of each other. Monitor is THE most important
You are right about that - our interpretations are WAAAY apart. For one, I don't assume I know what the OP is thinking so I ask for more information. And for another, "Monitor is THE most important"? Not hardly. Is it important? Sure. But without a decent CPU, graphics solution, and plenty of RAM to drive a properly rendered image out to the monitor, the quality of the monitor doesn't matter one bit. And for sure, the size of the monitor is no indication of the quality of the image - but a larger monitor sure can blow a budget.

Back