• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Building PWM Controller for 4 wires PWM fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:chair: **WARNING: BRIEF TANGENT AHEAD** :chair:

Ok guys, I've been playing with electronics once again. I shared this amazing PWM controller with the folks at bit-tech forums, and I got into a small discussion with a guy there about standard PWM control vs this method of PWM control (eg non-PWM vs PWM fans). He in fact said that the circuit pictured below is better than bing's 556 circuit, and I civilly disagreed with him. :thup:

He suggested a straighforward MOSFET/555 based PWM controller, so I built it with a very beefy MOSFET, IRF540A, and tested it with one of my 3A Deltas...basically to show him how wrong he was about it being better LOL. :D The result? Squealing and pulsating whine at low RPM, and of course no tachometer. There are of course ways to reduce the extraneous noise, but no way to recover tachometer functionality or to reduce the need for heatsinks on the FET and Schottky diode with high current loads.

This more "primitive" method of PWM will never be as good as the controller in this thread... it doesn't even come close, although it controls low powered fans very nicely indeed - the pot is extremely sensitive and linear speed adjustment is very precise.

Circuit:

ne555-pwm-dimmer-circuit.gif

Breadboard with my Delta FFB:

59315354.jpg

And a video of the noise profile at low RPM:

**TANGENT PAST: RESUME PWNAGE (or "PWM"AGE) DISCUSSION**

:D

Haha nice to know that the concept of these pwm-controllers are working for sure.
I've build another one, just for trying and figure out the handling and performance. It's the 2%-98% Controller unit based on the IC 556 DIP. Works fine, and its incredible to know that these small pieces of technology will controll the strongest fanbeasts you can find anywhere. No limit to that maximum amphere issue any more, just plug and play :) :thup:

Ill try some further controllers with two separate knobs f.e.
And that sanyo denki beast is on its way! Can't await it :clap::clap:

img_5884pzae.jpg
img_588529ot.jpg
img_5887jztq.jpg

EDIT:
Thanks for sharing LennyRhys! Nevertheless, to the controller in this thread it it essentially that the fan has a fourth wire. Perhaps the guy you've battled with :bday: does not know the advantages of a real pwm-support by the fans internal circuit board. I'm afrait the most fans on the marked, even the most sought after are non-pwm-fans as the noctua's and silent wings etc.

Comparing the usual fan-controllers by continous voltage control with this thread controllers, the others are really ridiculous. I love to pwm fans :comp:

Last edited:
This more "primitive" method of PWM will never be as good as the controller in this thread... it doesn't even come close, although it controls low powered fans very nicely indeed - the pot is extremely sensitive and linear speed adjustment is very precise.

I don't understand, why people keep PWM-ing their linear fan :shrug:
do they even realize that they actually applying fast on/off on their power line of the fan?

I'd still recommend to use the "regular" linear voltage controller for the "regular" 2 or 3 wire fan (notice the keyword regular :p).
for the DIY version of this type, bing's already had designed it on his siggy

but is really nice of you to compare it head to head and share us the results, Lenny:thup:

Comparing the usual fan-controllers by continous voltage control with this thread controllers, the others are really ridiculous. I love to pwm fans :comp:

nothor, that's really good way to mount your controller.
I really love the "acrylic style" of yours:thup:
think I'm gonna steal this mounting method someday :sn::D

and yeah,
after following this thread for soooooo looooooonnnnggggggg, I'll be sure to look for more 4-wired-beefy-amperage-fan in the future, PWM on not (just like my PAPST) :comp:

Suddenly realized that A) I hadn't posted a video with my new (to me, old and replace to washington state U) ozyscope, nor had I aimed it at my attiny85 based fan controller!

Now I'm rectifying the previously stated situation :D

Sidenote: I intend to find myself a decently juicy PNP mosfet and see if I can make a PWM linear fan controller work like a buck circuit.
We'll see.

Hehe cheers guys.

I tried to explain to the dude (who, for the record, is a really nice guy) the ENORMOUS difference between a standard fan motor and a designated PWM fan motor. I happened to mention the "ticking" drawback of a modulated supply voltage, and he asked why it would tick worse when it's slower, and I had to do my research. After looking around for a while I found this PDF document which is a very, very nice in-depth explanation of what happens to fan motors when the supply voltage is modulated.

Apparently there are techniques to suppress the extraneous noise resulting from the low duty cycle, which involves "smoothing the PWM impulse torque profile with the addition of a base capacitor," but even the author of this article throws in the towel where high current fans are concerned, saying DC speed control is probably a better option. (I'm pretty sure the article was written before PWM fans came on the scene!)

@Bob, go for it!! Wana see what you can come up with. And I love the new toy, and that sumptious square wave pulse :D :thup:

Very nice inVain! I love the grill material on there and how it gives you a hint as to what's inside :D

inVains, looks powerfull and industrial. I like it! What about an electrical warning sticker on it? :D

Yes! It needs a "WARNING: No user serviceable parts inside! Opening this device may cause it to eat your face!" sticker :D

ahahaha....

think I'm gonna just put a "high dB!" instead of the regular "high voltage!" sticker on it :D

:salute:
Okay guys, finished my third properly running pwm-controller.
Featuring:
- can controll 2 fans seperately
- PWM duty cycle ranges from 2%-98% each
- 2,5 sec kickstart feature
- no extra wires necessary - powerd by the controller
- can run up to 18 A (216 Watt of PWM-fans) depends on the PSU

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Tomorrow i will equip it with a kickstart feature by adding a switch. but i need to find the best connection for it. Then i can run the two gfb-beast in my rig :)
video is comming later!

Thank you all for your support and the fine prepared circuit plans!

pwm-ctrlr2x2-98_kicksto704.jpg
pwm-ctrlr2x2-98_kickstk7og.jpg

:drool:

OMG... This thread keeps better and better.

You guys and your crazy soldering skills are killing me though... I still have not been able to move my controller from the prototype board to a permanent board... I've destroyed so many PCBs and wasted so many components with my crappy soldering skills that I just gave up and kept it on the protoboard. :chair:

I like that a lot!
Fair warning though: FDD connectors are rated for something silly like 3.5a! Molex HDD connectors are rated at 10 or 11a though.

I need to find a gfb0912shg, that looks like fun :D

Last edited:
Woahhh... lots of update around here !!! Sorry guys, been so busy lately that I missed all the fun stuff here. :-/

The result? Squealing and pulsating whine at low RPM, and of course no tachometer. There are of course ways to reduce the extraneous noise, but no way to recover tachometer functionality or to reduce the need for heatsinks on the FET and Schottky diode with high current loads.

I tried to explain to the dude (who, for the record, is a really nice guy) the ENORMOUS difference between a standard fan motor and a designated PWM fan motor. I happened to mention the "ticking" drawback of a modulated supply voltage, and he asked why it would tick worse when it's slower, and I had to do my research. After looking around for a while I found this PDF document which is a very, very nice in-depth explanation of what happens to fan motors when the supply voltage is modulated.

Apparently there are techniques to suppress the extraneous noise resulting from the low duty cycle, which involves "smoothing the PWM impulse torque profile with the addition of a base capacitor," but even the author of this article throws in the towel where high current fans are concerned, saying DC speed control is probably a better option. (I'm pretty sure the article was written before PWM fans came on the scene!)

Dave, thanks a lot :attn: , that is really an excellent example on how bad it is to pwm the fan directly at the power line. Regarding the app note on smoothing the pwm power using cap, you can see that even at low power fan, the smoothed current is not that smooth, still it has those ripples shown by the bulging wave. The higher the current, you need a really huge capacitor to smooth it out that at certain level, its not practical anymore. Also its a very crude method and will never get a perfect smooth straight line if just using a cap, unless using a gigantic cap that can totally flat it out, but the fan will react slowly on the speed adjustment since the gigantic cap is dragging the controller output.

Anyway, this is a really good reference, should someday anyone here encountered such situation like Dave, just point to this video, it will save your sanity trying to explain and argue about it.

Again, thank you Sir ! :thup:

Thanks for sharing LennyRhys! Nevertheless, to the controller in this thread it it essentially that the fan has a fourth wire. Perhaps the guy you've battled with :bday: does not know the advantages of a real pwm-support by the fans internal circuit board. I'm afrait the most fans on the marked, even the most sought after are non-pwm-fans as the noctua's and silent wings etc.

Nortor, looks like you're having lots of fun lately, isn't it ? :D Glad to hear that.

Yeah, most people once they tasted the sweetness of pwm fan :attn:, they will never look back, like my self, I will never buy non pwm fan anymore unless they're really-really good fan or its really dirt cheap.

That double gfb0912shg fans are really monster, can't wait to see the video.

Btw, as Bob pointed out, floppy disk power connector probably is not that good for high current, its rated "theoritically" at 3 to 4 amp, and reality it will much less.

Suggesting to connect the pos and neg cables from those monster directly from the molex connector, or change the pwm connector into something bigger and beefier.

Weak connector will supplies less power to those monster fan and there is a possibility that it will overheated as well, just becareful when playing high current/power toys.

I don't understand, why people keep PWM-ing their linear fan :shrug:
do they even realize that they actually applying fast on/off on their power line of the fan?

Its about awareness inVain, most people especially from the olde days of using 2 or 3 wires fan, those are the only methods to slow down a powerfull fan, cause using linear is really not efficient, and looks like they never catch up with this newer 4 wires pwm generation and thought its the same thing.

Hopefully this thread is contributing even a tiny bit in bringing this awareness to the mass.

Btw, love that industrial black box you built there, really awesome job you've done there, looks so professionally built. :thup:

Suddenly realized that A) I hadn't posted a video with my new (to me, old and replace to washington state U) ozyscope, nor had I aimed it at my attiny85 based fan controller!

Sidenote: I intend to find myself a decently juicy PNP mosfet and see if I can make a PWM linear fan controller work like a buck circuit.
We'll see.

Cool video Ed, glad to see you're having fun with your nice new toys there. :D

Also if you can hook the 2nd channel at the fan's rpm wire with a pull up resistor and see the nice rpm pulse that will vary according to the fan's speed.

I've been meaning to order a second probe so I can do just that. Gotta round up some spending money first, got a lot tied up in hardware to review at the moment.

EDIT:
I've been powering a 3.3a Nidec off a floppy connector for a while, no issues yet.
Haven't tried intentionally overloading it, I think I might do so on one of the spare/junky PSUs I have lying around just to see what happens.
I do have a load bank that is happy to eat up ~58a of 12v, after all.

Last edited:
nice work nothor :thup:

I'm looking forward to your upcoming mounting style....
your previous acrylic style is already awesome! :drool:

and after seein' how you split your power, PWM, and RPM on to several sleeve on the other thread, now I split my power and PWM signal lines too :D
it made my PCB neater, and allow me to use the HDD molex connector to power up my fans (although now I'm thinking of use the CPU/VGA power connector, just for the cool factor :lol)

:drool:

OMG... This thread keeps better and better.

You guys and your crazy soldering skills are killing me though... I still have not been able to move my controller from the prototype board to a permanent board... I've destroyed so many PCBs and wasted so many components with my crappy soldering skills that I just gave up and kept it on the protoboard. :chair:

that's because your DIY = Do It by Your friend :rofl:

come on Sebas....
we've all start with the zero soldering skills too....
use that ultra cheap resistors and blanks PCB for practice, and don't waste your money on the ultra cheap soldering iron (at least buy a good tip for your solder) ;)

Hopefully this thread is contributing even a tiny bit in bringing this awareness to the mass.

believe me, this thread's already change my point of view....
I'll try my best to tell the others bout the benefit of using the fans with extra "speed controlling wire" too, somehow :salute:

Btw, love that industrial black box you built there, really awesome job you've done there, looks so professionally built. :thup:

thx a buch,
the black box was actually an industrial built :D
it was the Cooler Master's VGA holder...
still haven't attach the straw-led inside the box yet, though (I'm lacking of ideas how to do it properly:p)

inVain, i've no idea how to improve visual appearance of the actual 2-way-controller, 'cause the acryl is breaking easy. I#m very happy to see the controllers running fine so i can use every fan in my rig as i want to. Next fan i've ordered is this GFB0912GHG-7C90 3.30A for testing. Also this Nidec.

One question to the plenum: If i put a switch (on/off) into the 5V+-Line in the controller, i expect the fan running at full speed when off (= no pwm-signal) and running at adjusted speed when switch is on. But actually the fan stops when switching of. Why is it doing this?

Actually a duell between a fan and my hands breakes up the fan. Remember: Use Fan Grills! :-O
img_5934v67qi.jpg

Yes for these powerful fans be very careful. :D

Speaking of nice Delta PWM fans I just bought four of these for about $4 each :D :D :D

4000rpm, 2.4A, no idea what the duty cycle RPM is but I'm excited - might hook up all four at the same time to test whether or not the FDD connector can handle it LOL

delta12.jpg

inVain, i've no idea how to improve visual appearance of the actual 2-way-controller, 'cause the acryl is breaking easy. I#m very happy to see the controllers running fine so i can use every fan in my rig as i want to. Next fan i've ordered is this GFB0912GHG-7C90 3.30A for testing. Also this Nidec.

`One question to the plenum: If i put a switch (on/off) into the 5V+-Line in the controller, i expect the fan running at full speed when off (= no pwm-signal) and running at adjusted speed when switch is on. But actually the fan stops when switching of. Why is it doing this?

Actually a duell between a fan and my hands breakes up the fan. Remember: Use Fan Grills! :-O
img_5934v67qi.jpg

ouch....!!!!
guess it's true that "love hurts" :rofl:
but you're now officially a delta member club with that scar :attn:
j/k :D

'bout the switch, make sure you connect it with the "positive" 5v rails, as this will be equal to 100% duty cycle :thup:

ah, sorry to hear bout the acrylic....
what's the acrylic thickness? (maybe it will be better with the thicker ones)

with those fan lineups, you can blown your neighbor's house away someday :rofl:

Yes for these powerful fans be very careful. :D

Speaking of nice Delta PWM fans I just bought four of these for about $4 each :D :D :D

great!!!!!!!
now I'm dying in jealousy :rain:
I used to have that FFC before, they can really quiet under 1500rpm....:thup:

I ordered four HP server fans, and got 3x FFC and 1x Nidec (again)

I wonder if this Nidec will have weird "high" low RPM like my last one did.

Anyway, here are the beauties :D Including postage this order cost me about £17 ($25)

newpwmfans.jpg

Now I need to find lots of 4-pin fan connectors so I can connect these babies up to my controller! :thup:

Back