• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Building PWM Controller for 4 wires PWM fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For your enjoyment. I don't have a proper work bench, so don't laugh.

It almost spun off on me.

Sanyo Denki on Steroids with Fan controller.

Congratulation on your success at taming that beast ! Awesome video ! :clap:

Looks like that controller can bring down to full stop and up to full speed isn't it ? Great result there ! :thup: and hoping your sadness is now gone ! :D

Btw, that video is scary, becareful, that beast almost suck down those wires, if that happened those brittle blades will break down easily.

Found this. Noise suppression for PWM circuit. Helps eliminate acoustic noise.

What do you think?

http://www.jimfranklin.info/microchipdatasheets/00771b.pdf

No, you don't need that, that is the old method at PWM-ing 2 or 3 wires fan, trust me, it will not work at all fan.

Infact one of the reason 4 wires PWM fan was designed and created is to eliminate that kind of problem.

I can see you can dial down that beast fan's speed to almost silent right ?

Last edited:
Thank you, thank you. Yes my sadness is now gone, thanks to you.

Yes I am aware of the fan. I didn't expect it to move, but it started lifting off of the floor. I will secure it next time. I just wanted to get a pic up before you went to bed.

Yes I can dial the fan speed to 0, and at low speeds it is silent.

Next step is going to be inspecting my Sunbeam Rheobus, wheter it is a 2 or 3 Pin Rheostat. I am guessing two, so this might not work for this application, but maybe I can find a potentiometer I can mount in it. Then I will encase the circuit in a project box and all will be well in the world.

My pleasure buddy, and I'm happy to see its working too ! :soda:

Think again, you're currently having an unique fan configuration that I believe not many people in this world had at their cpu heatsink, the unique point is that it can spin starting at almost deadly silent like those sissy trash fan out there as Mud said. :D

But when needed, with just a dial at the pot, it will turned into the most powerful 12v 120x38mm fan in the world, and all of this is just at your finger tip without the hassle of swapping the attached fan physically. How is that sound ? :clap:

Great, we're all expecting to see the final shape of that controller when you finished integrating that pcb into the Sunbeam panel.

Yeah, I knew this thing was unique after researching it. The guy at work was saying, "Why don't you just buy one." So I told him, " no one makes such an animal, at least not in production, and I have been looking." Even if they did, I would expect them to charge a pretty penny for this, although I don't really find it that complicated, once you know what your doing.

Ok Project PWM for SANYO DENKI - 9SG1212P1G01

This may apply to Delta as well depending on project results.

Goal, ~1000 RPM (tolerable noise level) up to 6000 RPM (Full Load) Pulse Width Modulation from Motherboard with Voltage draw from Power Supply.

List of parts needed.

Will a lower PWM of 1000 RPMs result in no performance on these fans?

All input is welcome. These questions are primarily directed at bing/mudd

I built one for my ITX switch PC but unfortunately I no longer have it. I to ran into the same problem, its not really something that is mass produced and its not that simple of a concept. I was able to get a crude one working from some mosfets and motherboard rpm sensing.

I built one for my ITX switch PC but unfortunately I no longer have it. I to ran into the same problem, its not really something that is mass produced and its not that simple of a concept. I was able to get a crude one working from some mosfets and motherboard rpm sensing.

This one is different from the ones with the mosfets. It is my understanding those control the 12V side. This one actually controls the 5V side of a 4-Wire PWM Fan using a digital square wave. I have the circuit complete, now I just have to mount it in a project box and run connectors to it. Then figure out how I am going to mount the Potentiometer.

Motorized pots and a switch make for a really clean install, assuming you can go by the fan's noise instead of "knob angle". I had 4 controlling a quad-LM317 fan bus I made, although it still kinda sucked being 11.5v to 6v. This was before PWM fans. FYI make a limit stop to keep the motorized pot from dropping below the fan's cutout pwm/rpm (if you want).

The other (cheap) method could be a slide pot. You can get one with a thin "blade" handle that could mount between a gap in your case somewhere. Otherwise it would go through an elongated hole and look like a switch with a very long throw.

I am good, I had tested the Venomous X with Fan at 0RPM and it is still sufficent to keep temps below 40 degrees, so at idle even if the fan was off there isn't an issue.

I will be installing this back in my case after I have finalized the controller.

Still Looking for a good "Controller" Face plate for my potentiomter. Looks like the Potentiomter in the Rheobus is two legged, not sure, but I might be able to buy a Potentiometer that might fit inside of it, but then I thought, maybe build a whole PWM Controller and use a new Rheobus "Shell", swapping out all of the Potentimoters and installing my circuit X4 in it. Theoretically, I can hook the LEDs to each of the PWM signals and have the light dim or brighter when I turn up/down the speed.

If anyone has a good idea, I'd love to hear it.

Motorized pots and a switch make for a really clean install, assuming you can go by the fan's noise instead of "knob angle". I had 4 controlling a quad-LM317 fan bus I made, although it still kinda sucked being 11.5v to 6v. This was before PWM fans. FYI make a limit stop to keep the motorized pot from dropping below the fan's cutout pwm/rpm (if you want).

The other (cheap) method could be a slide pot. You can get one with a thin "blade" handle that could mount between a gap in your case somewhere. Otherwise it would go through an elongated hole and look like a switch with a very long throw.

I am considering this maybe through one of the front 5.25" Panels. Although they are meshed, I might be able to still make it work. Then I can use one that is maybe 3 inches long. It might work.

Brutal, actually there are other soldering style, though it looks crappy or like crab :D , if its done properly and once fully tested its working, a dip into an epoxy or even using hot glue gun to fill & protect them (yes, I've done in the past), that circuit will be really small and could be small enough to mount it at the back of the potentiometer it self. Once done, just use those pretty panel, sacrifice one of the original pot and put this in it.

Btw, all those components like capacitor and resistor, if you could find the smaller one, it will be better. Hint..... go to your junk yard old abandoned/broken electronic appliances, I believe they're plenty of them. ;)

The dead bug style :D
View attachment 82617
View attachment 82618
Courtesy from Robot Art

I've done similiar to this one in the past using SMD size components, they're really small, that left pic is the AA sized battery's top.
View attachment 82628

Size of above IC the left one, SO8 case size.
View attachment 82634

Last edited:
Hrmm... with some practice, I might be able to pull that one off. Would be easier to copy one that I could see though.

Good idea.

I have been trying to find the actual size of the potentiometer in the Sunbeam Rheobus, so that I can find a suitable sized 3 wire Poti. No luck on data sheets. Looks like I may have to actually pull it out and start comparing/taking measurements.

Brutal, at the video, you said the fan is making some whining sound at certain rpm isn't it ?

If you still have the energy & time, and got few other small value caps ranging hundreds of pF like 330 to 820pF, suggesting you to change that red 680pF cap, bigger cap will decrease the pwm frequency and vice versa, hopefully with these trial & error, you will find the sweet spot that will lessen that whining sound.

Also about using capacitor, parallel cap connection will add up their values, like two 330pF caps = 660pF and etc.

This whining thing is complex stuff since it involves like harmonic, oscillation interferences, aerodynamic etc..etc.. bla..bla.. that are too scientific for us to play with, so the best is still thru trial and error.

Last edited:
OK, I will give that a go, I am currently working on the "Bug" Version. I am using a TLC 556, so I don't have two TLC555s hanging around. Going to see how that works out. Afterwards I will pick up Various Caps and test different combos.

Its not really a whine I hear. It sounds more like a really high pitch digital oscillation. Almost like I can hear an electrical switch, but so high pitched it doesn't register on the camera, and frankly most people probably wouldn't hear it, especially when in the case.

What did you hear from the video?

Update:

The "Bug" Version of my new ICE CUBE PWM Controller.

DSCN0598.JPG

DSCN0599.JPG

DSCN0600.JPG

DSCN0601.JPG

DSCN0602.JPG

Back