• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Building PWM Controller for 4 wires PWM fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great, that is a good start, is it working ?

Just fyi, as I mentioned in the past, some of those components can be replaced with smaller one to make the smaller bug. ;)

Took a shot of my components as comparison :
View attachment 82682

Those red and cyan cap of yours are similar sized as the middle row caps right ? Those can be replaced with smaller one like in the front left row, put a 556 IC among them as size comparison.

The electrolyte cap 10uF 16 volt, if you could find lower voltage like 10 volt is fine too, cause it will be smaller, and also it can be replaced with smaller tantalum cap like in the right front row, the short legged blue one or the rectangle brown in the plastic magazine, that is SMD tantalum cap that has no leg, it can be very handy in a really tight space.

Also the resistor, I think yours are the larger one at the top left, I'm not sure, prolly yours is 1/2 watt sized, that can be replaced with smaller may be 1/4 watt or even 1/8 watt sized resistor.

Finally the potentiometer it self, there are so many types out there, those two pots just an example, especially yours has the longer rod.

Btw, if this dead bug style soldering is your 1st time, and if its still not working now, suggesting you not to rush it, this soldering style consumed lot of concentration, time and energy. Also from the past looking at friends and me included, 1st time dead bug style soldering was always messy and full of trouble shooting. My 1st dead bug work ended with replacing the main IC since I killed it because of too much heat exposed at the solder & desolder work at trouble shooting. :cry:

Just to prepare you mentally so you won't be too frustated if its not working for the 1st time, most of all have been thru that too, so you're not alone. :D

Last edited:
I had no problem making the bug. Took me maybe an hour or two. My problem now is I killed my rheobus, trying to rip out the old Poti to make room for my new one. I think my biggest obstacle is the actual mount in the case.

Currently I am mounted in my case w/controller in a anti static bag for now and a small potentiometer in my rheobus. But I can't use the other channels now. Not sure, but maybe the potentiometer I soldered out was somehow in the circuit of the other ones.

DSCN0603.JPG

Rheobus Control Video

Last edited:
Looking at that latest video, I guess you're almost finished.

Can't wait to see your 0 to 6000 rpm performance chart at VX ! Great stuff ! :thup:

Updated post #25 -> HERE with 2nd circuit that is capable of pure 0% upto full 100% duty cycle.

For Brutal, in your project here, don't see you need to build the 2nd one since its already working fine, just want to put that 2nd circuit as a complete reference just incase somebody in the future that is anal & purist :D want to build that version, hope you don't mind. ;)

can this be achieved for multiple delta FFB1424SSG fans(these are 24v ones) connected together?

if so what are the components i need to use.

can this be achieved for multiple delta FFB1424SSG fans(these are 24v ones) connected together?

if so what are the components i need to use.

google search on that fan name turns up nothing but this thread, can you post a link to the fan's specs?

can't tell you for sure, but from the very sparse info i could find, that fan doesn't look like it is PWM, which would mean your output would have to be 24v of pwm, which this circuit isn't designed for (I wanna say 5v, but i could be wrong...)

that's not to say it's not possible, just that this circuit won't do it.

Probably better off building a more traditional fan controller with a big potentiometer ;)

well it has a pwm controller built in belive me. i have both versions of this fan with the same model number. the onews without the pwm has three wires and the one with pwm has 4wires with the extra wire for pwm control.

the specs file on the net only show the non pwm model. the pwm models were made very few in count and very rare to find.

ah, well then it might, if you can find specs on what sort of pwm signal it wants (frequency and voltage), and they match this controller, then it totally should work.

jesus, that is dense...I can't really tell what they want there...

I don't know if this circuit is integrated into the fan or if this is the circuit they want to drive it...I'm gonna have to cede to someone with some more experience with this stuff, namely the datasheet

juanP, although that datasheet doesn't contain the detail spec of the PWM line, I think it is safe to assume it has the same signal specification as other common PWM fan's signal does.

And if that is the case, back to your question, the answer is yes, this controller is capable of driving few of those fans.

I assume you already aware that it is a 24 volt fan, so it needs full 24 volt to work properly, don't undervolt to 12 volt, otherwise I worry the PWM functionality of the fan will not work as expected.

Last edited:
there is a person in a diff forum who runs 10 of these with just a 500k potentiometer and connects them to the 12v outlet in his psu. he does have one 24v meanwell psu for his rd30 motor which i doubt he is using in parallel for the fans.

i just don't know how he does it though.

ask him? sounds like a circuit similar to bing's but designed specifically for his needs

there is a person in a diff forum who runs 10 of these with just a 500k potentiometer and connects them to the 12v outlet in his psu. he does have one 24v meanwell psu for his rd30 motor which i doubt he is using in parallel for the fans.

i just don't know how he does it though.

If just using a simple single potentiometer can control 10 of that 24 volt fans easily which I doubt about it, then those fans are not PWM fan at all, maybe they're highly customized rare fan.

But if they're PWM 4 wires fan as you said, the only way to control they speed properly is using pulse width modulation signal like this controller provides or using mobo's header pwm signal.

Post the shot of the fan's label pic here.

If just using a simple single potentiometer can control 10 of that 24 volt fans easily which I doubt about it, then those fans are not PWM fan at all, maybe they're highly customized rare fan.

But if they're PWM 4 wires fan as you said, the only way to control they speed properly is using pulse width modulation signal like this controller provides or using mobo's header pwm signal.

Post the shot of the fan's label pic here.

I think what he meant was that all of them are controlled on a single pot.

juanP, looks like PWM fan to me, especially with that 4 wires color scheme, like typical Delta PWM fan.

Red = Positive
Black = Ground/Negative
Blue = RPM reporting/Sensor
Yellow = PWM signal/Control

Back