• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Built computer won't turn on...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ch3cooh

Registered
I built a computer with the specs shown below. I'm pretty sure I hooked up everything correctly, but when I press the power button on the computer NOTHING happens. Not a single fan spins, or light comes on. The motherboard has a red LED on it that lights up when I plug the PSU in but thats it. I thought the power supply might be the problem, so I tried it in the computer I'm currently typing this on. It works fine. What coult be wrong?

Motherboard = Abit NF7-S rev 2
CPU = Mobile Athlon 2600+
PSU = Antec 350w

Your case probably has these wires coming from where the power on button is, you will have to connect these to your mobo, check the manual for more info. Samething happened to me on my first build.

I have the power switch cable connected to the motherboard. I've recheck the manual MANY times to make sure it was connected in the right spot. I've also tried flipping the connector around to see if that would help. I've ALSO tried every in the sticky above the "Help my PC won't boot" post. Using a screwdriver to connect the 2 pins STILL didn't make the PC boot. I really don't know what to do next...

hrm... try taking out the battery and rub it with your hands and put it back in. i do that sometimes when mine first didnt boot and it works

I half figured out my problem. I setup the motherboard on a box and turned it on and it POSTed. I put it back in the case though and it wouldn't work. So apparentally the case is causing a short, but how can I figure out where its doing it at, how do I fix it?

Did you use the same PSU from the case when you were testing it on the box? Did you use all your expansion cards as well? Are you getting any beep codes from your mobo? (Check out this thread for an explanation of Abit BIOS Beep Codes).

I would recommend breaking down to the essentials (CPU, PSU, Vid Card, 1 Stick RAM, Keyboard, Mouse, No HD, Optical Drives, Sound Cards, etc....). Put it in the case and see if it boots. If there is still no boot, try and find any part of the case contacting the board (the board should be on those brass standoffs, and it shouldnt be touching any other cart of the case)

I would definitely have the power supply switched out. Especially after you have checked all connections. Shorts are a hard find sometimes, the ole' intermittent problem.....

I half figured out my problem. I setup the motherboard on a box and turned it on and it POSTed. I put it back in the case though and it wouldn't work. So apparentally the case is causing a short, but how can I figure out where its doing it at, how do I fix it?

Trial and error. Pull the mobo back out and put in as few standoffs (probably three) as you need to get the mobo off the backplate. See if there is one in particular that's creating a problem. There are also plastic spacers/standoffs that you can get.

AMAZING... I have the motherboard in the case and it POSTs. Now the problem is THE KEYBOARD WON'T WORK!!! I've tried to plug two known working keyboards in to the PS/2 port. The computer POSTs and says something like "CMOS checksum errors - defaults loaded. Press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup" But since no keyboard will work I can do nothing!!! ARGH. Does this mean something is wrong with the motherboard and that I will have to RMA it?

Back