• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Built new computer, keeps randomly restarting, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nappyrunner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just recently built a new computer and it keeps randomly restarting...it has restarted almost a dozen times and have only had it for 2 days, it has restarted when I tried to change processes, when I was trying to access a drive, when playing WoW, and it even restarted when I was simply looking at my desktop and didn't have anything open. For some reason it stayed on for 8 hours straight when I was loading WoW, but it shut down randomly almost any other time. Here is my build for my computer:

APEVIA X-CRUISER2-RD Red SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GSR

AMD FX-6200 Zambezi 3.8GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6200FRGUBOX

MSI 760GM-P34(FX) AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply, New Version with Build-in LED Fan On/Off Switch

HIS Radeon HD 4670 IceQ 512MB GDDR3 Video Card

HDD 400GB 7200 RPM

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate

Note: I don't believe it's a heating problem because the temp hasn't got past 82 degrees, so I'm stumped, if anyone knows about issues with anything in my build that would be amazing if I could get this figured out, thanks :)

Note: I don't believe it's a heating problem because the temp hasn't got past 82 degrees = I cannot imagine my CPU Temp or my Cpu Core / Package temp from HWMonitor that I would want to see at 82c and in general not expect it to restart on its' own at least sometimes.

Here's what we need you to do. Download and install these three free programs: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95.

Let's start by having you run CPU-z and then attaching pics of these threee tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". To

To attach a pic, first crop and save it with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip icon at the top. This will load the file browser/upload tool and the rest will be obvious.

Is that "82 degrees" a C or an F temp? Is it a CPU socket temp or a core temp or a motherboard temp? We need much more information. If that's an 82c socket or core temp then that surely is the first place to start looking for answers to your instability issues. CPU socket temps should not exceed 70c and core temps should not exceed 60c.

Well I would first blame that PSU. I had one die (the exact same model) and even if it is not the issue it can quickly turn into one.

The 82 degrees was in Fahrenheit not Celsius. Here are the three attached that you asked for. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• cpu-z.png
    cpu-z.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 149
  • cpu memory.png
    cpu memory.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 156
  • Cpu Spd.png
    Cpu Spd.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 164
Well I would first blame that PSU. I had one die (the exact same model) and even if it is not the issue it can quickly turn into one.

Hey me too! Mine lasted until I asked it for ~400w. Then it smelled bad.

It worked fine for low loads, but I wouldn't trust it by any means.
It's time for a new (good) PSU IMO.

Please use Celsius. No one around here uses Fahrenheit.

For future reference, please crop the images before saving them to eliminate all the white space around them. With Snipping Tool, just drag the frame with the mouse to fit the image.

I see nothing suspicious in the CPU-z images.

Next, open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run the Prime95 "blend" stress test for 20 minutes (if it will run that long). Then post back with an attached pic of the HWMonitor interface so we can see what max temp and voltages were during the test.

By the way, you should be running your ram at the full 1600 mhz rating it's capable of instead of at 1333 mhz. The FX IMC (integrated memory controller) will easily handle 1600 mhz.

I'm with what trents said.

But also have a go with Memtest86 and see if it throws up any errors.

Edit: In 2 of my last 6 performance builds I had similar issues resulting from dead on arrival RAM (bad luck but very similar to what you are describing).

I'm with what trents said.

But also have a go with Memtest86 and see if it throws up any errors.

Edit: In 2 of my last 6 performance builds I had similar issues resulting from dead on arrival RAM (bad luck but very similar to what you are describing).

^+1. The Prime95 blend test emphasizes ram and is another way of testing for ram integrity but if temps are past the stable range it would be be better to use Memtest86+ which does not stress the CPU.

Could be RAM or PSU, but in either case i would stay away from that PSU. I suspect its your PSU. I would go to check RAM with memtest and would definitely change that PSU

That PSU gonna be the problem to keep your PC running if not today than tomorow.

It started getting out of control so I bought a new power supply for $85 that was Corsair 650Watt and haven't had any problems. So it was the PSU, or at least seems to have been so far, thanks for the help :)

It started getting out of control so I bought a new power supply for $85 that was Corsair 650Watt and haven't had any problems. So it was the PSU, or at least seems to have been so far, thanks for the help :)

Which one series of Corsair did you buy?? TX series are good, AX and HX series are great, CX and GX series are just Okay.

Back