• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Built new PC, won't Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gotech

Registered
A Place where Sunshine is a Rare privilige
I just built my first custom PC. Here’s my Build:

CPU: AMD Trinity A8-5600K 3.6GHz APU (CPU + GPU)
RAM: 8GB G.SKILL 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 Desktop Memory
MB: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
PSU: APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 500W Power Supply
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive
DVD Burner: LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH24NS90
Case: GIGABYTE GZ-P5 Plus GZ-P5HB5C Black Computer Case

So I did an external build first to test all the components. I placed the cpu into the FM2 socket on the motherboard, then I put the stock cpu fan on top, but I had some trouble attaching it to the latches on the motherboard, so I took it off the motherboard to try it the other way. The cpu came off with it because of the thermal paste, so I had to pry the cpu off the bottom of the fan and re-seat it on the motherboard. I’m pretty sure I got it in right (it only goes in one way), and I’m positive there weren’t any bent pins. So put the cpu fan on the correct way an latched it on. Then I installed the ram, plugged the cpu fan into the MoBo, plugged the PSU into the MoBo and the CPU power socket on the MoBo, plugged the PSU into the wall and shorted the PWR SW pins to test the build. The fans in the PSU and the cpu fan started running, so I assumed it was a successful build. I carefully installed the MoBo with the cpu, cpu fan, and ram into the case then I put the PSU, the HDD and the DVD Burner in and plugged everything in. I hooked the PC up to a Brand-new ASUS HD monitor via the VGA cable that came with the Monitor, and turned it on. All the fans and lights on the case turned on, and the CPU and PSU fans started running, and I was feeling pretty proud of myself. The monitor came on, gave me a quick ASUS splash screen, and then said ‘VGA NO SIGNAL’. :bang head. Everything in the PC kept running until I turned it off. I tried turning it on and off again with the same results. I poked around inside the case, but I couldn’t find anything wrong. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the power supply is bad or the cpu is toast.

PLEASE HELP!!!

First thing I notice is the garbage PSU you have.. Apevia is usually top notch crap. If you have another PSU that would be the first thing I would try.

I don't have any other power supply's unless i take it out of a different computer...
which means unplugging everything inside, so i'll have to plug it all back in later.

do you have an reccomendations or better brands?

In my previous post, there us a known good Psu guide. Check that out.

But corsair, seasonic, are both quality brands.

I don't have any other power supply's unless i take it out of a different computer...
which means unplugging everything inside, so i'll have to plug it all back in later.

do you have an reccomendations or better brands?

The work is up to you or you take it to a place that charges $50 an hour min.

We have a PSU forum that might help if your have the time to spend there.

Sorry but don't know what else to say. You have a spare PSU? Use it.

Did you build the PC on cardboard first to make sure it all works first? That will solve lots of issues early before it gets placed into a case.

Figured it out. nothing is damaged or needs to be replaced. *whew*

turns out the CPU was never actually in the socket, because i had forgotten about the little lever that locks the CPU in the socket. I had never unlocked it to seat the CPU, so the Cpu was just sitting on the top. I put the CPu in correctly and everything works. PSU is fine.

Got Win7 installed and it's working great. i did a windows experience index review thingy or whatever it's called, and my lowest sub score was 4.4 on my graphics, but this PC will not be used for gaming or 3D rendering or anything, so thats fine. graphics performance was a 6.2 (not bad), Cpu and RAM got a 7.2 (yeah!) and Hard disk got a 5.9.

for my first build i think i did pretty good. thanks to everyone who tried to help!
GoTech out.

Last edited:
Back