• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Built new rig; can't install windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeffrp

[Solved] Built new rig; can't install windows

I just got done building my first PC and everything has gone smoothly until I tried to install windows xp 64-bit. (I just want to install XP 64-bit so I can then use my upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit.) The problem starts after the windows xp disc gets done loading and once "Starting Windows" comes up, I immediately get a stop error:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer....

stop: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF ADEC 34323CO, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)"

From the research I did, the stop 0x0000007B generally means that windows doesn't recognize the boot drive. I see the hardrive in the bios and everything seems to be running correctly there.

Here are my specs:

Intel 2600k
Asus Sabertooth P67
12G Corsair Vengence
GeForce GTS 250
Seagate Barracuda 1tb
(Thinking is was the hardrive I also tried to load windows onto a imation m-class 64gb SSD, but got the same error)

My sabertooth manual says that I must install Windows XP service pack 3 or later versions before using Serial ATA disk drives. After researching I found that Windows XP 64-bit doesn't have a service pack 3 (only service pack2)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3

So now I'm stuck. Did I miss something in my bios or is my motherboard just too modern for windows xp?

(Side note: I also tried to install regular windows XP and still got the same error)

Heeeelp!

Last edited:
I just got done building my first PC and everything has gone smoothly until I tried to install windows xp 64-bit. (I just want to install XP 64-bit so I can then use my upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit.) The problem starts after the windows xp disc gets done loading and once "Starting Windows" comes up, I immediately get a stop error:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer....

stop: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF ADEC 34323CO, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)"

From the research I did, the stop 0x0000007B generally means that windows doesn't recognize the boot drive. I see the hardrive in the bios and everything seems to be running correctly there.

Here are my specs:

Intel 2600k
Asus Sabertooth P67
12G Corsair Vengence
GeForce GTS 250
Seagate Barracuda 1tb
(Thinking is was the hardrive I also tried to load windows onto a imation m-class 64gb SSD, but got the same error)

My sabertooth manual says that I must install Windows XP service pack 3 or later versions before using Serial ATA disk drives. After researching I found that Windows XP 64-bit doesn't have a service pack 3 (only service pack2)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3

So now I'm stuck. Did I miss something in my bios or is my motherboard just too modern for windows xp?

(Side note: I also tried to install regular windows XP and still got the same error)

Heeeelp!

not sure but i hear that xp is not upgradeable to win7. Just clean instal the win7 upgrade disk dont bother putting in the serial. You get 90 days plus if you know the regret command use it twice for a month extention each. Call M$ and just have them fix it on their end. I just finnished doing this after running my win7 64 for 8 months not "genuine", it changes nothing for the end user other than annoying warnings several times a day after it expires. I clean installed my copy without instaling vista32 then performed a clean instal again after 5 as you should anyways. My emailed explaination i recived later in the day stated the problem i was experiancing was because i was not upgrading but custom (clean) installing the program and that they have applied the nessasry changes on their end..........took 3 hours but hey, it works and its easy.

not sure but i hear that xp is not upgradeable to win7.

That's correct, there is no direct upgrade to Windows 7. If you have an existing Windows XP installation, you may use a Windows 7 upgrade disc to put Windows 7 on the machine, but it would require a custom install (meaning you'd have to reinstall all of your software and restore all of your personal files from a backup).

That aside, you'd need to pull the SATA drivers off the motherboard install CD (check the manual to see if there are shortcuts for how to do this) but this usually entails putting the SATA drivers onto a floppy disc, pressing F6 during the initial phase of Windows XP copying/expanding files to your machine, and selecting the appropriate SATA driver.

[solved] Built new rig; can't install windows

It turns out it was Windows XP not recognizing the SATA drives. I loaded the trail version of Windows 7 and contacted Microsoft. They actually activated my Windows 7 even though it was only an upgrade. I was surprised how amazing the Microsoft customer service was. They even called me three times this week to make sure everything was running correctly. So now everything is working fine. Thanks everyone for the help!! It's an awesome feeling to see this machine up and running!

It turns out it was Windows XP not recognizing the SATA drives. I loaded the trail version of Windows 7 and contacted Microsoft. They actually activated my Windows 7 even though it was only an upgrade. I was surprised how amazing the Microsoft customer service was. They even called me three times this week to make sure everything was running correctly. So now everything is working fine. Thanks everyone for the help!! It's an awesome feeling to see this machine up and running!

I've exactly the same problem but I'm not sure what you did to fix this as your solution is unclear.

You said:

"It turns out it was Windows XP not recognizing the SATA drives. I loaded the trail version of Windows 7.."

What do you mean the trail version of Win'7? If you mean trial then how did you solve installing XP with Win'7?

Why would you use the Win'7 cd to help install XP 64bit that gave you a BSOD error? You'd wind up with a Win'7 installation not XP wouldn't you?

I don't want Win'7. I just want to install Xp64. So I slipstreamed my Intel and Marvell SATA drivers into my XP64 cd. But like you, after the files finish copying and it reboots to load XP's 2nd stage it gives me the BSOD.

That's correct, there is no direct upgrade to Windows 7. If you have an existing Windows XP installation, you may use a Windows 7 upgrade disc to put Windows 7 on the machine, but it would require a custom install (meaning you'd have to reinstall all of your software and restore all of your personal files from a backup).

That aside, you'd need to pull the SATA drivers off the motherboard install CD (check the manual to see if there are shortcuts for how to do this) but this usually entails putting the SATA drivers onto a floppy disc, pressing F6 during the initial phase of Windows XP copying/expanding files to your machine, and selecting the appropriate SATA driver.

This solution is not possible since there's no floppy ports on the X79 motherboards. Read my above message as to what I did yet I still have the same problem as the original poster.

stop: 0x0000007B

Heeeelp!

This error is usually because of wrong/bad ATA driver.

And shouldn't occur with "IDE mode".

Just install windows 7. Do NOT enter your serial number. Reinstall windows 7 and enter your serial number. Don't even bother with installing xp

You don't really have the same problem since the original poster was trying to install XP 64bit, just to be able to use a Win 7 upgrade DVD.

You however want to install Win XP 64 bit for itself and that has not worked so far. The OP did not get it to work either, but he did get Win 7 64bit Upgrade DVD to install and M$ activated it for him and he is happy.

So your condition and the OP's are not fully the same. He did not fix the issue you have but bypassed the problem since he wanted Win 7 anyway.

I've exactly the same problem but I'm not sure what you did to fix this as your solution is unclear.

You said:

"It turns out it was Windows XP not recognizing the SATA drives. I loaded the trail version of Windows 7.."

What do you mean the trail version of Win'7? If you mean trial then how did you solve installing XP with Win'7?

Why would you use the Win'7 cd to help install XP 64bit that gave you a BSOD error? You'd wind up with a Win'7 installation not XP wouldn't you?

I don't want Win'7. I just want to install Xp64. So I slipstreamed my Intel and Marvell SATA drivers into my XP64 cd. But like you, after the files finish copying and it reboots to load XP's 2nd stage it gives me the BSOD.

Back