• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bulldozer & AM3 Compatible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eloverton2

AMD is releasing the Bulldozer next year.

The AMD 890fx boards just came out, and I am looking to purchase one, specifically, this one.

Does anyone know if the 890 chipset and current revision of AM3 will support the new cpu architecture?

I have read the chips will be AM3r2. Does that mean they will work in AM3 or should I just wait til AM3r2 boards come out?

I believe so yes. You can verify yourself by going to the mfg website and checking their CPU compatability charts.

I believe so yes. You can verify yourself by going to the mfg website and checking their CPU compatability charts.

lol :p Bulldozer does not even have a release date set, so that will not be possible.
OP, it is impossible to say for sure , Bulldozer will be compatible with existing g34 Server socket, and there have been rumors about am3 compatibility but no solid facts.

No solid facts to date but I don't see size being a problem. Even if every core of Bulldozer is twice the size (in circuitry) of a Phenom II core it could still be the same physical size because 32nm2 is just about half the size of 45nm2. :)

The only real questions left are,
Will the board manufacturers cooperate? ((We've already seen ASUS and Gigabyte apparently stop production of AM2+.)) and,
Are there enough pins in the AM3 spec to handle the new CPU?

Back