• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bulldozer BIOS update for most Asrock AM3 boards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nick [D]vB

Registered
Over the last month or so Asrock have updated almost all their old AM3 boards BIOS's with new CPU microcode, given that AMD haven't released a new AM3 CPU for quite a long time what are these updates for if not for Bulldozer?

Example: http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=M3A770DE&o=BIOS

The CPU support lists have not been updated for 1.80, but then Bulldozer chips aren't even listed for their official AM3+ boards yet. I realise that AM3 isn't officially supported by AMD, and given the AM3+ marketing guff Asrock put out a few months ago it seems strange they would then try and add BD support to their old boards, but I wouldn't put it past them.

http://www.asrock.com/news/events/2011am3+/

I know a few people at bios-mods were working on patching the AGESA version of some old boards but I don't think they've tested anything with BD yet. Even with bios support there are obviously no guarantees, but if anyone has tried dropping a Bulldozer into any of these Asrock AM3 boards I'd be interested to know what happens...

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would NOT assume those updates were made for Bulldozer support. If they released BIOS updates to support BD, they would definitely want to publicize that.

Seeing as how Asus doesn't have working support on their top end 890FX boards for AM3+ CPUs, I wouldn't expect Asrock to beat them to the punch, and then also keep it quiet.

I agree it's unlikely, but Asrock have a habbit of adding funky undocumented features, cross-fire on nForce 740 boards for example! They could just be adding some new OEM only CPUs or something but until someone actually tests it we'll never know...

That's what my post above was talking about. I tried Asus BIOS 3107 last night with an FX-6100 installed in a Crosshair IV Extreme - it didn't work and I've been whining about it almost non-stop since. :D If Asus can't get BD support going on their highest end AM3 board, I wouldn't be hopeful for Asrock on their AM3 boards, especially in light of their marketing.

Well it would be a shame for that FX-6100 to go to waste, post it to me and we'll settle this once and for all... :D

Haha! My crosshair v formula should be here tomorrow, if it doesn't show I have the weekend to think about what to do with the CPU. :)

Thanks for that arroyo, I knew they were up to something! :)

Shame there is no beta bios for my 770DE, I might risk the 770DE3L bios on it, they are very similar.

It looks like we can add the M3A770DE to that list! :)

I just flashed mine with the 770DE3L beta bios and it works fine,

(except the white memory slots but that was expected)

I'll test an FX-6100 on it soon, fingers crossed...

I was gonna buy that Gigabyte 990FX board so I can pass over my 945 and up to DDR3 ram for now then move over to a Hex Core 1055T I was looking at but I dont think that has a BIOS for BZ at the moment in case I ever decide to go upto that from the 945 think I may wait it out for deadicated supported boards 1st

Back