• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bulldozer is it going to be worth the wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Timmie3054

Registered
I'm planning to build a whole new system in may. I have pretty much already decided on the AMD Phenom II x6 1100t. Should I wait a couple months for bulldozer?

Now I heard Bulldozer is going to be released Q1 2011. Which is basically now.
I know when AMD does release it, they wont be releasing the best Bulldozer CPU right away. I also know the best or the high end, AM3+ boards wont be released when bulldozer comes out. That's why I am asking this question.

Would it be smart to buy a AMD Phenom II x6 CPU and a high end AM3 board now. Then later this year or later next year upgrade to the Bulldozer and a AM3+ board. Assuming that better Bulldozer CPU's and better AM3+ boards have been released.

I made this mistake before. I bought a Phenom II X4 810 back in march 09 and a pretty good motherboard. Then a couple months later. So many better AMD cpu's got released. I felt left out and so I went out and bought a AMD Phenom II X4 965. Which I have now. Then a couple months later. AMD releases there Phenom x6:bang head.

I'm tiered of upgrading. So to summarize my question again.

Should I buy a high end AM3 system now. And wait until Bulldozer gets settled, and better AM3+ boards come out.

Should I buy a high end AM3 system now. And wait until Bulldozer gets settled, and better AM3+ boards come out.

I think you should wait for both Bulldozer to be released as well and the SB problems fixed . and then look @ cost/fps and make your decision. Is there somthing that your current chip cant do ? that you think a 1100t can ?

I think you should wait for both Bulldozer to be released as well and the SB problems fixed . and then look @ cost/fps and make your decision. Is there somthing that your current chip cant do ? that you think a 1100t can ?

I am in college right now and I do a lot of video editing. The Phenom II x6 has 6 cores. So it should render videos faster then my 965. I don't know how much faster but that is the main reason why I want to upgrade.

Now I heard Bulldozer is going to be released Q1 2011. Which is basically now.
I don't think I've ever seen first quarter expectations unless they were far back in history. Everything I've seen since early last year has said first half (Jan-Jun) and, later, second quarter (Apr-Jun). AMD though Bobcat was more critical and pushed to release it first - and they were probably right. ;)

If I were you I would consider buying an X6 CPU but, depending on your current board, I might not want to replace everything. What board are you running and do you really need to upgrade it as well?

I am waiting on Bulldozer but I will wait a few months after launch to see if there are any serious issues or if it's not really worth it on price/performance for example it may end up being I just need to update to the current AM3/DDR3 combo boards and just keep the CPU/GPU I currently have.

I am not saying it's going to be a disaster just I'm keeping my french fries all in 1 basket as of right now thats all.

Back