• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

buying a cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaptcha0s

As I read through the posts, it seems that recieving cpus with certain stepping/revision codes is like hitting the lotto to some.

When buying a cpu, can you request a certain stepping/revision code? If so, how and where. Or is it the luck of the draw? Looking at buying 1700+ or 2100+ T-bred and wanted to be sure before I purchase.

Thanks in advance.

I'll refer to the date code (ex 0302) as a "stepping" as most people refer to it.

Check out www.excaliberpc.com

Here is a link to their AMD 2100+ chips:
http://www.excaliberpc.com/default.php?cPath=178_186&osCsid=8881af4bff3124c2a9bc1005ed0f22b5

They will allow you to choose a stepping. Some steppings cost more than others (but no more than 5$ or so). This is the only place that I know of that will allow you to pick and choose.

Newegg carries the T-bredB 2100+ and 1700+, and they usually offer the latest stepping. For example right now you'd probably get a 0303 or 0304 from there. But who knows how good those steppings may be.

ExcaliberPC carries both the 2100 and 1700, and have a wide variety to choose from. Their price is about 5-10$ more than Newwegg's but then again-- you can pick and choose.

As far as the good steppings, there's been tons of posts here in this forum. I believe the 02xx are better for overclocking, and the 0301 is one to avoid.

Good luck!

Actually the 0301 is getting good results. The 2100+ in my sig is an 0301, and I seem to remember a few other 0301's getting 2.4ghz. That's not too bad in my book :)

Back