• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

C2Q Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlwitherell

Registered
Ok, don't laugh, it's been awhile and even when overclocking was a hobby I didn't really understand all the technical aspects of processing. But, here's the deal. I am still rocking a q6600 @ 3,600 and it has been a rock for many years. I recently aquired 3 24" lcd's for for workspace but the fact that new cards have surround really intriged me for games too:) So, I got the monitors and my sli'd 8800 GTS's would just run BF3 on low (in 40's ish FPS). So, I picked up a brand spankin new 6700 GTX 4gb (for surround). Well now it seems that damn q6600 will get me high 60's on average on medium settings in BF3. I was going to upgrade mobo and cpu to sandy-e but that really ain't too shabby. I guess my question really boils down to: Are the new cpu's, due to architecture changes and/or more cache really gonna be that much different that this chip I've loved so much? If so, I know many of you would recommend upgrading to Ivy but I figured that pci-e 3.0, more memory bandwidth and a board that will support ivy-e would be the best bet, or is there something on the horizon worth waiting for given my situation. Any input/advice is appreciated.

Probably means 670.

At any rate, you typically need a lot more CPU power if you have more than 1GPU. Q6600 @ 3.6GHz may be alright in this situation. Check your CPU usage during gaming and if it's pegged at 100%, you can probably benefit from a faster CPU.

Ivy-E is not going to give you any better gaming performance over Ivy, so I wouldn't waste your money on that if all you want is gaming performance. Ivy has PCI-E 3.0, and gobs of memory bandwidth especially if you get fast RAM. But PCI-E 2.0 still has plenty of bandwidth for modern cards.

yeah gtx 670 sorry. I think I will end up getting two cards cause I want to run this surround at ultra settings. checked CPU and already close to 100%. Thanks for the input...

Back