• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

C2Q vs i7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uberwoot

So i got a QX9650 here and i was woundering if i should upgrade to a low end quad i7 for the rig im builing from mostly spare parts or just use my old QX9650

Last edited:
thats really up to you can you can sell that QX and make some money then just have some spare $$+low end quad. i think what you do more depends on how the computer will be used... this isnt a i7 vs core 2, as low end quad and i7 is a oxymoron...

mainly its gonna be a gameing rig. I know the i7's make some heat so pretty much they will bolth be left stock.

so new tech or old tech but at a higher clock.

would you really be able to tell a difference between the two? i mean honestly, unless you're running triple sli or something, realistically you'd never be able to tell the difference by just gaming and surfing the net... just saying man...

that being said, sell the quad, buy a low end quad, and sit tight and watch the chip and SSD market fluctuate until its the right time to buy.

its useing 2 spare 9800gt's in sli i got laying here.

i got everything. but at stock clocks will the higher clocked QX give me a few more fps than the stock clocked low end i7?

well first off both i7 and the QX have the same TDP. on the low side i7 is 16.7% faster per clock, so ocing woulndt be needed. though from what i see around here and xs, is 3ghz on 1v or less seems doable... the low end i7 920 matches a [email protected], so you do the math.. not only that but power usage results from reviews show much lower power draw at idle and slightly higher under load(though not much higher). if you look at watt/time, i7 is the win... For just gaming, if you go tri-sli or tri-cf/quad sli/cf then i7 is even better then a core 2 rig... im still waiting for my mobo for my i7 setup, got my ram today, board here on the 25th... i cant wait, as this is going to tie me over for a long time... overall i spent less on i7 rig then my first core 2 setup....

So i got a QX9650 here and i was woundering if i should upgrade to a low end quad i7 for the rig im builing from mostly spare parts or just use my old QX9650

So you got a QX9650 (even though your sig says you have a QX9770... I'll annoy that bit of weirdness for a second) why would you upgrade to an i7?

Just for the annoyance of upgrading?

It'd be different if you were switching from AMD or your CPU was dying or something... but what would be the purpose of this upgrade?

Just to *do it*?

As i said. Its a spare. I upgraded to the QX9770 because i found it on craigslist and the guy was pretty much giveing it away.

Im building the pc fom a friend from my spare parts as a gift. But if upgradeing to the lower end coie i7 would give a deacent increase inpreforamcne over the QX then i would sell the mobo ram and cpu and pick up some core i7 stuff for him.

Back