• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can a single Radiator be used to cool two seperate computer systems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bucsfanga

Registered
I am planning on building a server rig in my desk. I currently have my gaming PC setup on one side of my desk with my server pc going into the space on the other side of my desk.

The Hardware:

MSX350 water pump ( I also have a DDC from Alphacool I was going to add to the loop to pump water to the server PC)
EK Crosshero VI CPU&VRM waterblock
400mm Radiator ( its dual 200mm from Phobya Extreme)

I plan on adding a Vega GPU and waterblock when release in a few months and just a CPU waterblock on the server side of the desk. Does anyone have experience with a setup similar? I'm would like to know if I can use just the one radiator? My TDP calculations for it was around 1400 watts it can displace. I know the Ryzen 1800x and a Vega GPU wont even put a dent on it. I more concern about using the Alphacool pump to supply the server CPU cooling. Would the pumps work or would they have to run at the same speed or could I just use one pump for both systems? The radiator is in center installed as exhaust. desk is pretty sealed. Four 180mm intake fans, 2 per computer side and two 200mm exhaust in rear. the center chamber has no air flow.

20170707_032312.jpg

20170713_002034.jpg

170630_032648_30.jpeg

Waitaminute: You want to run 2 separate pc's ( Cpux2 and Gpux2) with 1 200mm rad and 1 ddc pump?. Me thinks:

A) Not enough raddage unless you go push/pull
B) Not enough flow with just 1DDC pump

Over time your temps will overwhelm the single rad and eventually you will kill the DDC. You'll need at minimum 1 D5 and you might get away with the single 200mm rad with the fans you currently have. I'm more concerned with just a single DDC. Might not be up to the task of such a load.

It's gonna look like a real nice build tho.

I agree with everything Neb has said so far.

Also, I highly doubt you'll get 1400w worth of cooling out of a 200m radiator. 200m is just shy of a 240mm. Think of it this way, for every 120mm = 100w at best.

See if you can fit a couple quads in there and it should be more than enough, allowing you to even run your fans at a lower and quieter setting.

I would also recommend dual pumps in serial configuration for the added assistance and redundancy.

No, No, No, its a dual 200mm radiator its 400mmx200mmx85mm. I have 2x 200mm fans in push configurations. The water pump is barely at 30% and my temps are find. I'm only cooling the CPU on the other computer. I'm building a server so I only use a APU processor. Phobya Xtreme V.2 85mm Full Copper Radiator. Swiftech MCP50X Extreme pressure, small form factor, 12 V DC centrifugal pump is the radiator and pump I have. I had the pump in my old build with GPU, CPU, dual 80mm, 120mm, 240mm, and 360mm radiators. I had it on low settings too. I know that the fittings and radiators will reduce or need more head pressure but also the loop itself is not a long. The desk is 32"x63" but actual computer space is only 15". I use only 1 1/2' of tube now. Adding the CPU of the second computer will add maybe 2' more of tubing.

Last edited:
I would imagine that adding a single CPU block shouldnt cause much trouble. The APUs don't put out too much heat, and depending on what your server is going to be doing it might be idle most of the time.

Here are pictures but the radiator is in the middle section of the back. The logo sticker can be seen on it in the first 2 pic also the hole on the 3rd pic is the space for the radiator so the 2x 200mm fans can blow air thru and out the desk.( I'm referring to the pictures with the original post up top in this sentence) Also temp wise my CPU is around 35C at idle. The house is kept around 23C

20170720_210956.jpg

20170720_210603.jpg

20170720_210654.jpg

As you can see in the pictures the Radiator is 85mm thick and in in the picture with the glass you can see the 25mm thick fans on the Radiator. The way the desk is made the Radiator fits into the desk to secure it. It was made with two pieces of wood glued so the inner piece was cut for the size of the radiator and the outer piece has hole just for the airflow.

Back