• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I adjust the stock intel cpu fan rpm ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolf11

I just replaced my 120mm cpu noctua fan with the stock intel fan. The intel fan is a little noisy half the time, even when not running any programs, it makes a annoying sound kinda like a muffled whistle very hard to describe. If I'm not running any programs is it normal for the cpu fan fluctuate ? it's got to be fluctuating cause sometimes I hear it sometimes I don't.

I have the Asus P8P67 with a i5-2500 cpu

Anyway I went into bios and it seems like it's running at around 1400 rpms is that normal ?

I enabled the silent option and I'm at the desktop I can still hear a whistle. I tried the manual option instead at running 100% duty cycle I put 80% I can still hear it. How come when I change settings it's not taking effect ? thanks

By the way the fan hooks up to mobo with a 4pin connector, aren't 4pin fan connectors controllable ? I thought it was the 3pin fans connectors that were the ones not controllable

4 pin fans are controllable. You do it from the BIOS or the mobo software if you have the options. The fan speed can change depending on how your fan speed profile is setup.

The stock intel fan? You mean the cooler? The heatsink?

We need more info etc, pics could help.

Yes you can adjust the speed of the fan through bios or 3rd party software in windows as stated before me.

+1 both of you, i never had a P8P67 but on all my other asus board i could change the CPU fan to some predefine fan settings or manual the RPM. All this via the BIOS.

4 pin fans are controllable. You do it from the BIOS or the mobo software if you have the options. The fan speed can change depending on how your fan speed profile is setup.

The stock intel fan? You mean the cooler? The heatsink?

We need more info etc, pics could help.

I'm using the fan/heatsink that came with the cpu. I've done some tinkering in bios on my Asus P8P67 for my intel I5-2500. My vid card is fanless. I know it's the cpu fan cause I just installed it today. I changed to manually in bios to a lower duty cycle and it's making some noises.

You should make sure your RPM fan settings in the Bios arnt set to max. When you set it up to lower settings make sure you see a difference in RPM readings. If all fails please proceed to the next option below.

The HS/fans included with CPUs are cheap, bad performing and obnoxiously loud. Most folks go with a 3rd party fan cooler for a affordable $30 range with a good performing after market paste as well and leave it alone for a long time. IF the noise is unbearable and the noise, performance or whatever case is bothering you I suggest you look at this route and here are some choices.

- Link -

Those air coolers believe it or not are some of the best out there in the market.

Last edited:
Check the bearings. They sometimes make that noise when they're starting to wear out. Adding a little oil (drop of motor oil works well) would help make it last longer.

Well this intel fan has never been used before. Anyway what program is there that I can monitor rpm in windows ?

Then it's probably something with the design of either the fan or the heatsink. Intel fans are (for the new ones at least) made by Sanyo, so they should have sine wave drive as standard. Maybe the oscillator in the inverter is running way slow and the PWM is getting into the audible range or more likely, the heatsink is causing turbulence.

If you want to replace the cooler, the 212 Evo is great and it even comes with a sine wave drive fan. (I upgraded the one on mine, but the stock one should be fine with a quad core.)

The software that came with your Motherboard will monitor RPMS. Won't see temps correctly.

Or use HW Monitor. Talked about here all the time. Standard stuff we use all the time here.

Asus Fan Xpert should do the trick since you're using a Asus board. My younger brother uses it no problem.

Back