• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I assume my GPU is defect? (Problem with crash)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

feliximo

Registered
So it all began when I started playing Witcher 3. I played for many hours without problem. Untill one day the computer froze(sound was hacking), monitor shut down and the computer restarted. This happened as soon as I tried load up the game again. I dusted the computer off and compared temperatures, which now was lying on max 65 celcius on both the gpu and cpu while stress testing with HeavyLoad. (Used HWMontitor to observe temps).

I thought this fixed the problem but it did not. I could now continue for a 10-15 minutes untill it crashed again.

I have a GeForce GTX 970.

And I have reformated the computer, done a memory check, tested for bad sectors, searched and cleaned the computer of infected files with both Avast! and Malwarebyte, stress tested with Prime95 and finally to check if it really is the GPU I used FurMark.
Now I did expect it was either the power supply or the GPU, I was unsure though and need to figure out what it is so I can get new equipment through warranty.
I ran the FurMark stress test using standard settings (Burn-in) and it went on without problem. I then tried the Xtreme burn-in and same crash I've been having for days occured.

Now to the real question, can I now assume it is the GPU or should I run more tests? I will soon try my brothers GPU in my computer and see if that changes anything. Alternative try my GPU in his computer.

I apologize if this post is poorly written, I'm stressed and never really posts on forums. I could really use some tips and information from more experienced people!

Thank you!

Welcome!

If you are on the latest driver, try rolling back. If you are not, get the latest driver.

I would try YOUR GPU in HIS computer first to see if it is the GPU.

You also didn't mention what exact PSU you have or the rest of your system... that will help us help you troubleshoot. :)

Last edited:
Does sound like a driver and/or possibly GPU OC issue. Comp specs, driver version ?

Specs

Corsair CX 600M, 600W Modular PSU

Intel® LGA1150 Core i7-4790

ASUS LGA1150 B85M-G

Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600Mhz 8GB KIT

Gainward GeForce GTX970 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E

Crucial® BX100 250GB 2.5” SSD

I have latest version for nvidia, have tried bsckroll and i have tried a old er driver, 52.86 i think, i know it was the driver released as witcher 3 came along.

So the driver currwntly installera would be 358.50.
Yes it have happened while playing rocken league, aswell not doing anything particular.

Back