• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can i build a metal case from scratch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just like others have said, plan absolutely everything out that you possibly can ahead of time. Measurements, drawings, the whole nine yards. One other thing you may want to do ahead of time is try and find some scrap metal to practice on. Cut it, connect it, whatever. Starting out this ambitious in metalworking, while possible, runs a high chance of costing you a lot of money, as mistakes can potentially be very expensive.

I will tell you from personal experience that yes you can build a metal case from scratch. I have done it.... http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=433265 I will also tell you that it will not be any cheaper and will actually cost you more in materials and tools than buying or modding a pre-made case. This is unless you can get the raw materials for free and have access to a machine shop and or metal working tools. Mine did not turn out pretty which I didn't really care much about, but I needed it to fit a large home made water cooling setup into a case and I simply could not find a large enough case that would fit my specs. That is why I choose to build one. It also took me about 3 months by the time it was all said and done. Now I don't work with metal and never have prior to this. Metal working to that detail should probably be left to someone who knows what they are doing. Welding and riverting are the nicest way to work with metal as far as looks and functionality goes. I opted for screws due to using a lot of aluminum to keep things light. Stay away from large stores like Home Depot or Lowes if you plan on doing this and want to buy raw metal and sheetmetal. They are not exactly cheap places for stuff like this. I hope some of this helps with making a decision. :beer:

@ metloaf: Did you use 3/4'' L brackets? What thickness? I noticed that you didn't cut any of the bracket edges at 45°, hence each surface at any given corner of the frame is at a different level (+thick, 0, -thick, a bracket over the next, not inline)... was that made on purpose or just laziness?
/me also plans on doing a custom case out of Alu L brackets.

Last edited:
I did that on purpose and it was much easier to do it that way with the tools that I had available at that time. As I stated above, welding it would be ideal and the strongest however that was not an option at that time. I wasn't all that concerned about it's aesthetics I simply a wanted functional setup. I also used aluminum L brackets that were 3/4" to save weight, which is funny because I mounted the entire case on wheels when it was done so it didn't really matter in the end. I am contemplating on making a case out of wood because I have a lot more woodworking tools and actually know how to use those. :santa2:

Back