• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I get more CPU OverClock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TrakRailySurely

Registered
setting 1:
CPU:x21.5 1.325V
LLC:High
Current Capability:130%
Bus:200MHz
CPU/NB:2600MHz 1.2875V
CPU/NB LLC:High
CPU/NB Current Capability:120%
HT Link:2400MHz
Mem:1600MHz 9-9-9-24-41 1.525V

prime95 after 1 hour temp.68c

setting 2:
CPU:x21.5 1.325V
LLC:High
Current Capability:130%
Bus:200MHz
CPU/NB:2000MHz 1.1875V
CPU/NB LLC:High
CPU/NB Current Capability:120%
HT Link:2400MHz
Mem:1600MHz 9-9-9-24-41 1.525V

prime95 after 10 minute temp.55c
Probably after 1 hours temp.57c or 58c

Sorry this isn't true, like I stated in my thread the package is the core and the fx-8xxx are rated to 70c on the core which is the package and 72 on the socket which is cputin in hwmView attachment 170873

You can flirt with disaster all you want, I'm sticking to what has been used on OCF safely for years by many members both new and old.

As far as I know the *1** were rated 70c core but the *3** are 62c core. Different technologies right ? Doesn't the AMD website have the values ?

As far as I know the *1** were rated 70c core but the *3** are 62c core. Different technologies right ? Doesn't the AMD website have the values ?

Completely different tech in terms of temperature limits.

No, AMD doesn't publish the safe temps. This is why I'm asking him for a source.

Exactly, could he be mistaking temps ? I've also read a ton of threads stating 60c/61c/65c, but I've always tried to go through the majority which says 62c.

I think the 70 C is based on the fact that his package temp is 61 C and AMD Overdrive is showing a thermal margin of 8.9 C.

Edit: If that thermal margin is to be trusted, then my Phenom II also has a max temp of 70 C. However, if I remember correctly, AMD claims the max is 60 C or 61 C.

Edit2: Couldn't find AMD's claim. CPU-world lists a maximum operating temperature of 55-62 C, but no source.

I use to run my intel cpu at 90c and never had a issue until it fried several years later. Which I don't think was actualy the cause of the failure. My cpu now runs max on bonic 72c never seen it go higher and average is 62c. So I would not worry about it.

Shawnmcc your fx8350 is going to explode lol 1.6v core? Everyday use? are you sure you need 1.6 for 4.5Ghz lol??? you should be in the 1.4 to 1.5 range no?.

FX shut off temp is ~90c, and apparently someone at OC.net asked AMD directly about safe temps and the reply was "don't go over 62 for long periods of time" (sorry can't link, I'm on my cell). No specifics on what is "long periods", but seems fairly obvious that 62c is the designated safety net.

I've read plenty of threads of peeps going into the low 80s but it was purely for benching, none kept it as a 24/7. Moderators will tell you to keep it on the limit simply because it would be irresponsible to do otherwise, correct ? You want your parts to last as long as possible until the next upgrade, so if you decide to go over the limit keep in mind that it's not a case that "something might go wrong", but "something WILL go wrong eventually" :)

AMD Overdrive at 70° is the package temp, not the core temp..........

You can flirt with disaster all you want, I'm sticking to what has been used on OCF safely for years by many members both new and old.

I just wanted to say, I've been here for years now, and overclocker every AMD processor I have ever owned through the collective knowledge of these forms and its members. I have never killed a CPU. Including the 3 Athlon x2 AM2 procs I have delidded following the guidance of the forums here. You would be wise to do similar, unless you have lots of disposable income....

Gentlemen... let's make sure we are focused on helping the OP instead of hashing out this personal nonsense regarding some extraordinary claims about performance between the two parties. If you want to see whose, umm, 'posts' are bigger, do it in pm or start another thread. :)

From what I have found there really is no "official" release from AMD. If our numbers sound conservative it's because they are. Understanding human nature and what people will do is a big part in that. If the speed limit is 50 people go 55. Same in computing Max temp 62c some will push to 65-68 whatever. It's just what it is. So as a member of the community and helping others I give recommendations on what I feel will help them keep their machines running for the long haul and get years of enjoyment out of them. If someone chooses to go over that , it is now on their head not mine.

TrakRailySurely,

Our apologies for the intrusions. Everyone had good intentions to answer your questions
until it became insulting and argumentative. We have some of the best clockers here using
all CPU's so hopefully this thread is back on track to help you.

:welcome:

Ok, Thread Version 2.0 with a lot of stuff deleted. I hate talking in green, so: Keep it on topic, keep it civil.

Cwwc-Stalker, I did not lift the thread ban for this duplicate thread, and I'd like you to shoot me a private message.

Ok, Thread Version 2.0 with a lot of stuff deleted. I hate talking in green, so: Keep it on topic, keep it civil.

Cwwc-Stalker, I did not lift the thread ban for this duplicate thread, and I'd like you to shoot me a private message.

Thanks Thiddy, good work on janitor duty.

Hey, I was reading that ;)

Back