• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can PCIe extender cables help 480 3xSLI cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hifidelitygamin

Registered
Seeking opinions on the feasibility of the following...

Could pcie extension cables like http://cablesaurus.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=12 which let you physically mount the cards inches above the slot possibly be useful for helping the cards run notably cooler? Ie - the ability to get more space between... ive heard stock cooling seriously fails once you go triple with this very hot card.

Has anyone heard of reliability problems with such cables adding inches of trace length?

Will linking the cards via the Nvidia SLI connector become a problem/is that set up for fixed widths? (having never done SLI before i dont know if it's rigid or flexible, or if longer/wider spacings are possible)

It's possible the additional molex power feed could even stabilize power related things... i've heard of bitcoin miners who have 4 cards saying that plugged into the motherboard 4 cards was unstable, but with external molex feeds it became rock solid...

I think what i'm really wondering is that if I could space the cards out more, i'd be able to use a modification of the "cpu watercooler as video card cooler" idea, just using a more normal cpu air cooler on each card which is much cheaper, yet probably about as effective for how close the good air coolers get overclocked cpu's to water temps. Even if not allowing the height of a cpu cooler not even the low profile ones it would make the plumbing of cpu water coolers easier since those i've seen seemed close to the point of kinked pipes when side by side.

Why in the world would you have a triSLI of Fermis?

Those extension cables usually work, but they're not the best thing and, IIRC, they might induce some problems because they don't have a ground plane or something like that I read somewhere.

As long as you get a flexible SLI bridge it won't be a problem to link them, and the molex would just stop the extension cable from burning when the card tried to grab 75W out of that, although I would not trust just a Molex to drop 75W, considering that, when it was shipped with cards, Molex to PCIe cables used 2xMolex to power a 6p (75W).

Do you already have the cards? If not, don't buy them. That system will destroy your electricity bill. Just get a new Kepler and call it a day.

Back