• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can RGB fans plug into the motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtallanddopey

Hi everyone

I cannot seem to find an answer to this question online, or at least definite one anyway.

I have an x370 gaming 5 motherboard from gigabyte. It has a couple of rgb headers on the motherboard for extra lighting strips etc.

I was wanting to purchase some of the Corsair hp120 fans but it keeps saying I need to purchase the additional controller for the rgb.

For one I cannot see how this then ends up working in sync with the lights on the motherboard but that’s one issue.

But my question is, do I need to have this controller or can they just be plugged into the fan and rgb headers on the motherboard. Or do I need to get the controller?

Basically I want the lights in there to match up and if the same software controller everything then that would be better.

The short answer is no. The Corsair SP120 & HD120 RGB fans use a 5v LED while your motherboard uses a 12v RGB header.

Yeah there are only a few higher end MBs currently that have an Addressable RGB Header that supports 3A (5V) and even those only have 1 or 2. Hopefully most of the next gen MB's will plenty of them.

For now get the combo kit with HD120s and controller. I run Corsair and NZXT controllers and fans. The HD's do more and put on more of a show, but I tend to leave the NZXTs on more often as they are more low key.

Back