• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just updated the bios with a bootable cd but still no luck. I know the speaker is plugged in but even when i unplug the graphic card it still doesn't create any noise.

can someone please explain a little more in depth about how to reset the cmos. My theory is that something isn't working right in it because its not making noise and i have the system speaker pluged in please help

Kendan said:
Make sure the monitor is plugged in and turned on.

wait a sec...you updated the bios with a bootable CD...??? before i unravel that in my mind that would suggest that you have an image on the screen to be able to do that...then the problem is fixed. anyways.

but if you're not seeing an image on the screen, follow Kendan's advice since I don't see in your posts where you mention you've checked that. very basic basics always first when troubleshooting, always.

i checked that monitor is turned on and everything and the monitor works on another computer

the graphic card is functional
but the motherboard isn't booting up enough to make the noises

if anyone has any ideas or things i should try please instant message me my sn is Josheyy29

so i unplugged the litium battery and reset the CMOS but still no life on the monitor i called up asus and they recommended taking everything off the mobo except for the power and taking the mobo out of the case and turning it on to see if there is beeping and the case is grounding it. Should i try this timely task or are there any other suggestions. i know the monitor and graphic card work but is it still possible for the mobo to be lit up even if its dead?

I would take everything out of the system and bench test it with the necessities first. Its called troubleshooting its going to take time, you can't just rush through things, your lible to mess something else up beyond repair. So take your time, take everything out of the case, place the motherboard ontop of teh motherboard box, re-seat your cpu, re-seat your ram, and if you are running multiple sticks, only use one in the slot that is labled 0 or 1 dunno where it starts at. Next place your video card in, plug in power to everything and see if you can power it up. The best way to power on a motherboard when its like this is to short the power switch terminals with a flat tip screw driver.

No problem. I know its very time consuming But I have done it so manytimes in the past, since I used to be a computer technician.

alright so i have everything out of the case
do u want me to keep the heatsink on or not? and i use a screwdriver u said to power the mobo on alright

Josheyy said:
alright so i have everything out of the case
do u want me to keep the heatsink on or not? and i use a screwdriver u said to power the mobo on alright

Re-seat the CPU and put the heatsink onto it. otherwise it will overheat and kill both the proc and the motherboard.

Im going to bed, basically with the rest of it just use common sense and take it slow, it never pays to rush thru things. Trust me I know this, I have messed up my share of commponents by overlooking things in haste.

Josheyy said:
I just assembled my own computer that i purchased from newegg...

.....AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.9 GHz, ASUS A8N-E NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard, G.SKILL 2GB ddr 500 RAM, nVidia GeForce 7900 Gt, Western Digital 500 GB Drive, FPS 600W power supply, DUAL LOGISYS 30cm Cold Cathode Lights

im struggling to understand how a opteron 165 setup you JUST bought from newegg and are trying to assemble is running at 2.9ghz already, and you haven't even gotten it to post??

is there some reason why you aren't giving us all the information?

Last edited:
Make sure it is unplugged from the wall when you reset the cmos. The motherboard manual should have directions on how to do it. Let us know if testing outside of the case helps.

No testing outside the case didn't help. The mobo isn't being grounded by the case. When the mobo was outside the case i plugged in the RAm and plugged in the graphic card but it still didn't display anything on the screen. When i took the card and ram out the mobo still didn't create any noise when they weren't plugged in.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
im struggling to understand how a opteron 165 setup you JUST bought from newegg and are trying to assemble is running at 2.9ghz already, and you haven't even gotten it to post??

is there some reason why you aren't giving us all the information?

I was thinking the same thing. To help you best we need all the details. Is 2.9 what you hope to run at?

So... CPU, GFx, PSU, Monitor, and RAM are all good. Yet no signal at all to the Monitor.
Your statements here make me think that your gear works at stock, but won't work at the freq you want, but then why would you be going ape **** about that. Hmm...
Try replacing the CPU with a non-DC, the RAM with some other DDR, and the GFx card with some other PCI-e. This sounds like a mobo RMA to me...

Back