• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can temp go any lower with fan cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DBZ

I have an intel 2.8 Prescott 1mb cache, 865PERL mobo, TT POLO 3 in 1 hs (lapped 2k grit), AS5 1/3 of a bb on cpu spreaded with cc. I replaced the fan on the heatsink with the 80mm vantec tornado mounted on a TT duct mod. I have a sunbeam duct mod also but it doesn’t fit in my case heh. As for case setup I have a vantec tornado on the blowhole, one vantec 80mm silence and 1 vantect tornado in front as intake, same setup at the back for sucking out the hot air. I also cleaned up my wire inside my case a lil bit. My temp b4 modding all these stuff is ambient 35, CPU idle at around 50-54, and loaded temp is about 63, the after temp is ambient 30c or so, idle 42-44c, and load temp is at 54-56c. A big improvement I know but I was wondering is there a way to improve it further without going water? I was thinking of cutting the front grills off to improve airflow but that is kind of a pain in the butt because it has little holes as grills instead of your usual.

I have a vantec tornado 80mm on the side panel blowing air in. Heh and I can't add anymore fan in that case, the only other option is get another heatsink. Did I mention I also have a 9800pro flashed to xt? I have a Giant III heatsink on that sucker though and its running at core speed of xt. Oh yeah and I've done some major wires management in there.

DBZ, I have a 2.8e with an sp-94.

The sp-94 did not make that much of a difference over the stock HSF other than the fact it cools down much faster after a load

Do you have a duct on that fan that is in your side cover directing the air to the HSF ?
My temps dropped like a rock when I added a duct

My temps on air are 42C idle , 48C gaming and 54C benchmarking at a 3.5 overclock

Dcasole-CPUtemps.JPG

Dcasole-screenshot1.JPG

Dave

Prob is the sidefan is built right in the middle while the TT duct mod pointed right just above it so I don't think it help that much. Other than getting a new tower that i can use the sunbeam ducting mod in it, I don't see how I can get the side fan to blow over it.

Oh and the prob is I can't keep the hsf on the heatsink because it doesn't go together well with the TT duct, being the screws is a weee bit short. I tried looking for longer screws that would fit but to no avail. I always thought the side fan is supposed to blows in rather than exhaust? Oh and sorry no pix =(

DBZ said:
Oh and the prob is I can't keep the hsf on the heatsink because it doesn't go together well with the TT duct, being the screws is a weee bit short. I tried looking for longer screws that would fit but to no avail. I always thought the side fan is supposed to blows in rather than exhaust? Oh and sorry no pix =(

I know the Prescott is hotter so I don't know how cool it can get. But, my p4 3.2c @ 3.52ghz is sitting at 28c idle and goes to 40c full load with case temps 28/30c (room temp 25c). So it sounds like you can do a bit better than 54c especially with the sp-94.

To see if a side exhaust will work, open the door and replace it with a piece of thick cardboard with a hole cut for the duct, 92mm. Tape the cardboard in place and then make the HS fan an exhaust and blow the hot air out of the case. I suggest you turn off the back exhaust fans because they would compete with the HS fan. I think you will get better temps with an exhaust fan on the side directly over the HS. The exhaust duct shouldn't be tight around the HSF, it can sit just over it or loosely around it. That way the vacuum created on the fan corners will be filled with case air instead of fan air.

If that works great, then you can get some flexible dryer vent from a hardware store and duct ur HS to the side panel hole. It won't work as well, but pretty close.

You can also try just opening the case, making the HS fan an exhaust, and then get a good floor fan to blow into the case. Turn off all the other fans except the HS fan. If your temps fall then you know you can do better. If you get no improvement from so much air blowing into your case, then it's unlikely you will do better.

Last edited:
Thanx all for the reply and the suggestion. Yesterday I tried the floor fan method, first one set on low blowing in for 1hr, then medium then high for 1hr also. I didn't see any difference in temp doing that. Guess I'll have to either get a new case or new heatsink the sp-94.

Cutting out the grills will reduce the noise of the case and increase airflow. That's a definite must-do.

Also make sure you have an updated bios version, usually your motherboard manufacturer can provide this. There may be updates to your bios that will give the most accurate temperature.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Yah I have the most updated bios version, guess I'll play around some more with the idea of reversing the fan on the heatsink to see what will happen. As for cutting out the grills, thats gonna be a major one for me. Still trying to figure out how to cut them out. I'll try to get some pictures of them and post them if possible. Once again thanx for all the advice, anymore advice would be most welcome as well.

DBZ said:
Yah I have the most updated bios version, guess I'll play around some more with the idea of reversing the fan on the heatsink to see what will happen. As for cutting out the grills, thats gonna be a major one for me. Still trying to figure out how to cut them out. I'll try to get some pictures of them and post them if possible. Once again thanx for all the advice, anymore advice would be most welcome as well.

No use cutting grills if blowing air from an external fan into the case didn't do anything. You can't get more circulation than that.

It does sound like your HS is the problem, though a faulty mobo monitor can't be ruled out. Have you put a thermometer on the HS to test the temps there and compare those to the CPU reading. I mean +50 is pretty hot, so is your HS that hot when you touch it?

u know what, the hs is not even warm to the touch even at loads. hmmm makes me wonder bout my mobo temp read out, guess i'll have to invest in a silverstone temp monitor, or anyone have a better choice than that?

DBZ said:
u know what, the hs is not even warm to the touch even at loads. hmmm makes me wonder bout my mobo temp read out, guess i'll have to invest in a silverstone temp monitor, or anyone have a better choice than that?

That's suspicious cuz it should be warm at least. Perhaps the HS isn't making good contact, perhaps try reseating.

I turned my HSF off as an experiment and watched the temperatures rise. It took about 2 minutes for the temps to get up over 60c. At that point the HS itself was pretty hot to the touch.

hmm its lapped to 2k grits and i only put 1/3 of a bb size of as5 on it. course that was only a week ago, should i wait another week to see further temp drop or adjust now?

DBZ,

Check out this link. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=313624
This is the mod I did to my Hyper 6 and it helped temps a lot!!!
Since then I have been trying out a 3.2 C0 stepping Prescott. I have gotten to 3.85 so far (got some OCZ PC4200 EL on the way) at auto vcore and my temps are about 36C idle and about 47-48C under full load. I plan on going higher with the OC but I can't until I get my new ram.

Hope this helps

Ed

Thanx for the link ed.howell, from your pix is it me or is there 2 fan that you put on that duct? I only have one on mine.

DBZ said:
Thanx for the link ed.howell, from your pix is it me or is there 2 fan that you put on that duct? I only have one on mine.

Ya your right I have 2 fans on the ducts, seems to help a little over 1 fan. I just changed them to the same type of fan so they are the same CFM.

Alrite will put two fans on it to see if it help some more, but first I'm gonna take off the heatsink and reseat it to see if that helps at all. But then I have to wait for the as5 to settle all over again heh, 200hrs ugh.

Back