• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can using SATA3 on SATA2 cause lockups?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

Boot lockups.

In my recent amateur review of the OCZ Synapse caching solution, I noted that the system locked up on boot pretty much every other day when starting from dead cold in the morning. Turns out, this results in the Dataplex software cache not just verifying its contents, it also starts the caching process all over again. This might explain why some people have such good results with the Synapse and my results were underwhelming. Most reviews reported 10-15 sec boot times. Mine (per Event Logs) were in the 45-60 sec range.

Now, I still have a window of opportunity to return the Synapse, but I'm wondering if I should hold off.

Two questions:

Is is at all possible that installing a SATA3 add-in card and running the Synapse off that will improve stability?

How much performance loss is there really with a SATA3 drive on a SATA2 port? Is it worth the cost of a SATA3 card? I'm aware that SATA3 theoretical bandwidth is 768 MB/s, whereas SATA2 is 384 MB/s. Using AS SSD, the drive tests at 200 MB/s read, 60 MB/s write. ATTO tops out at ~250 MB/s for writes, ~280 MB/s for reads using a a 2 GB test length and QD 4.

The card I'd be considering would be PCIe x1 card from Newegg. Something in the < $40 class.

Looking up the chipset architecture for the P45 chipset, you see what is shown graphically below.

Attachments

• P45 chipset 1x.jpg
    P45 chipset 1x.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 64
thumbup.gif
Thank you very much for that!

Now, is there a cheap-ish PCIe x1 SATA3 card that doesn't suck by chance? Needs to be bootable and, well ... work. HighPoint Rocket 620 seems to have the features, but drivers and support appear to be non-existent and/or a problem area. Any suggestions? Maybe I should start a new thread?

Last edited:
Okay, I have never seen so many controller cards listed in one place in my life. If any of them
is Sata 3 and ""without"" a marvell controller on it then it would be the "best". I did not look at them to see which has or does n0t have a Marvell controller on it.

Then if you do not see one without the Marvell controller on it, they would all be about equal and push a Sata 3 SSD into the 400/200 range.

Now here comes the real issue. You want to boot from the SSD on controller card. If you have Asus board some have problems with this. Your setup is getting so old that few still run it or remember how it acted with a controller card in it.

I am just warning you about as many of the possible hang-ups as I could research, so you know what you might expect. If one card did not work...I would have to be prepared to immediately return it and try another. Then you may have no issue. Just trying to lay the cards out on the table for viewing before the shuffle. Luck man.

LINK >>
sata iii card

PS: Now one more thing i would do and maybe you can since you are the thread starter. Your post title is mis-leading. Thread title should be "will an add in sata 3 card help my SSD transfer speeds?" More people would take a look and maybe have more suggestions.

Back