• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot Overclock G3258 AE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7shades

Hi there,
I'm having trouble trying to overclock my cpu.
On my last mobo (MSI H81) I was able to raise the clock up to 3.8 on stock cooler.
Now, whenever I tweak anything concerning core ratio or voltage I'm rewarded with either one of the next 2 scenarios.
1. If i try to OC. Past 3.7 I get a system failure and boot loop and I'm required to clear the CMOS this also happens if I choose any preset.
2. If I try to OC to 3.7 or below, Im able to save and boot into Windows normally but none of the changes I set in the bios are actually applied to the CPU. (CPUZ and System confirm that )
I'm relatively new to Ocing so here is an explanation of the settings I have fiddle with.

AI Overclock tuner* > Manual
BCLK Frequency**** > 100.0
1-Core Ratio Limit** > 3.7 up to 4.5
Min.CPU Cache Ratio > 20 up to 32 (can't get higher)
Max. CPU Cache Ratio > 20 up to 32 (same)

CPU Core Voltage** >1.1.v up to 1.23.v
CPU Cache Voltage* > 1.16.v
CPU System Agent Voltage* > 085.v
CPU Analog I/O Voltage* > 1.0.v
CPU Digital I/O Voltage* > 1.05.v
Initial CPU Input Voltage > 1.68.v
Eventual CPU Input Voltage* 1.68.v
CPU Spread Spectrum > Disabled
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology > Disabled
CPU C-States > Disabled

Hope someone can help me out!
Cheers!

My system specs

Motherboard > Asus Maximus vii Gene
CPU > Pentium G3258 AE
GPU > MSI GTX 750TI
RAM > Kingston Hyper X Savage 2x4gb
Cooler > Corsair H100i Extreme
OS Storage > 2x120gb Kingston Hyper X Fury on Raid0
Storage > Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm HDD
PSU > CoolerMaster B500
Case > Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl

Does the bios version of the board support that CPU? Check the Asus website for CPU compatibility with various bios versions for that board. You may need to flash the bios to a newer version. The G5238 is a more recent edition to the Intel CPU lineup.

Also, you will need to manually set the CPU core voltage higher than stock with that motherboard. When I say "manually" I mean going into the bios and changing the settings off of "Auto". Your previous MSI motherboard automatically raised the core voltage when you raised the core ratio. I had one of those same boards.

The worst of those G3258 CPUs should do around 4.3 ghz and the best ones will do around 4.7-4.8 ghz. I had one that would only do 4.3 ghz on about 1.28 core voltage and another that would do 4.6 on 1.325 core voltage. I wouldn't go any higher on the core voltage than that, however.

You may also need to make manual adjustments to the cache ratio and the cache voltage (aka, "ring" voltage). I found that on my second G5328 I needed to keep the cache ratio within 4x or 5x of what the core ratio was in order to be stable. For example, if the core ratio were set to 43x then the cache or ring ratio would need to be raised to 38x or 39x. Which also required me to increase the ring voltage some, up to about 1.96 I think. These chips vary quite a bit in their capability and what needs to be done to get them stable at their max overclock capability.

Last edited:
Does the bios version of the board support that CPU? Check the Asus website for CPU compatibility with various bios versions for that board. You may need to flash the bios to a newer version. The G5238 is a more recent edition to the Intel CPU lineup

Also, you will need to manually set the CPU core voltage higher than stock with that motherboard. When I say "manually" I mean going into the bios and changing the settings off of "Auto". Your previous MSI motherboard automatically raised the core voltage when you raised the core ratio. I had one of those same boards.

The worst of those G3258 CPUs should do around 4.3 ghz and the best ones will do around 4.7-4.8 ghz. I had one that would only do 4.3 ghz on about 1.28 core voltage and another that would do 4.6 on 1.325 core voltage. I wouldn't go any higher on the core voltage than that, however.

You may also need to make manual adjustments to the cache ratio and the cache voltage (aka, "ring" voltage). I found that on my second G5328 I needed to keep the cache ratio within 4x or 5x of what the core ratio was in order to be stable. For example, if the core ratio were set to 43x then the cache or ring ratio would need to be raised to 38x or 39x. Which also required me to increase the ring voltage some, up to about 1.96 I think. These chips vary quite a bit in their capability and what needs to be done to get them stable Pentium G3258 (3.2GHz, 2C, L3:3M, GT1, 53W, rev.C0)ALL

Pentium G3258 (3.2GHz, 2C, L3:3M, GT1, 53W, rev.C0) ALL Since 0609.
I'm on 2702! A

Back