• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot play MP3 file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lyian

So ive been trying to play a set of mp3 files and ive never been able to and im not sure why. WMP errors out and when i try to open them in Audition i get this..

Error: Invalid or unsupported file. If you would like to try using the Dynamic Link Media Server, please go to Preferences > Media & Disk Cache and enable the option "Enable DLMS Format Support" and try to open the file again.

I followed the instructions it gave, and then got this error

Error: Invalid or unsupported file. We were unable to open this file using any of the currently available importers. It is either corrupt or using an unsupported format.

Any ideas on how to get this to play?

Attachments

• Test.zip
    4.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Maybe they are not mp3 files? Files with .mp3 extension perhaps, but not really mp3 files.

If one of them is not too big, you can zip it and attach it to a post here, and we'll tell you what the file really is and how to play it if it can be played.

I assume the OS is Win7 w/ WMP 12? What's the error message when trying to open a MP3 in WMP? And do you have any codec packs installed?

Have you tried VLC/Winamp, to see if they play there?

That could help narrow the issue to the file or the program.

Maybe they are not mp3 files? Files with .mp3 extension perhaps, but not really mp3 files.

If one of them is not too big, you can zip it and attach it to a post here, and we'll tell you what the file really is and how to play it if it can be played.

I cant *legally* attach it. Its a rip from one of my music CD's that i have since lost. I guess the easiest thing would be to find another copy and re-rip it.

Then if you test the file on another computer you can at least determine if it is your windows or the file that is the cause.

Then if you test the file on another computer you can at least determine if it is your windows or the file that is the cause.

That post was testing it on my work computer, after it failing on my home computer and laptop. My phone wont play it either. It may be a damaged file, was just curious if it was repairable.

Rename file to Test then zip & attach the damaged file...

The test file compressed down to 4.5kb, over 99% compression which would lead me to believe its a completely corrupted mp3 file. MP3's cannot be compressed anywhere near that!

That is not an .mp3 file (any more) and it cannot be repaired.

Back