• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get VID trick to work on my Cel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
I've tried 3 or 4 times now and just cannot seem to get the VID trick to show higher than stock voltage on my 633 Cel (@988)....cB0 step. I'm trying for a solid >1.0G and it gets flakey @ 997 with 1.825V (posts/loads, but locks in PCMark). I don't think temps are a problem...~27°C stressed @ 1.825V and 988 clock.

As per the write-up on the main page, I set the Vcore voltage as low as possible in the BIOS, pulled the CPU, inserted a strand of wire across the two holes (VID3/VSS), and Vcore remains minumum. Inadvertently, it posts and loads Windows with stock clock @ 1.25V!? Talk about a cool CPU :)

I thought maybe the strand wasn't making good enough contact, so I pulled the CPU and added a second strand across the holes. The CPU goes in pretty tight, so I am kind of reluctant to try a third (or a single larger strand) at this point.

I figure that even if the mobo itself limits it to the 1.825V, it would still show up as that with the wire trick performed no matter what the BIOS settings are. Is that correct? And before I beat my brains out trying to get it to work, what is the possibility that I AM limited to 1.825V no matter what? It's a Shuttle AV18E 3.1 mobo...I haven't been able to find any documentation on the CPU supply or any limitations on it.

Before you ask, yes, I am sure I have the wire in the correct holes :) Any ideas?

Thanks for any help,
Ross

With your CPU (1.65v default) the only choice you have is VID3 to VSS for 2.05v. That's a big jump, but looks like you identified the correct pins to connect. Now make sure you actually connected the right ones by double checking. You have tried running through the BIOS options to see if you have additional settings?

EDIT: I looked up the vcore settings for your mobo and it looks like that it just flat out don't go any higher than 1.825v. If that's truly the case, then you're screwed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, BIOS runs 1.020V-1.825V. I've run 1.825V setting (1.85-1.87V actual reading) stable to 988, but 997 occasionally loads XP (sometimes not even), but then locks in the bench when it does. Temps at the 1.825V/988 setup only run 27ish°C under load, so I don't think it's the temp and I've played around with memory settings enough to not think that's it either. It's running on the proper division, so PCI, etc. shouldn't be a problem.

That leaves me with Vcore. In the OC database, it looks like all but a few (or one) are running 1.9+Vc on >1.0G clocks on these, which further makes me believe the bottleneck is the Vc. I may be at the limit for my particular CPU/setup, but unless I can bump up the voltage a tad more, I'll never know and it will drive me nuts :D

Since I first posted, I took the CPU back out and wrapped the pins rather than jumping wires through the holes...still no dice. I wrapped a single strand around them 3-4x. It loaded again @ 1.250V (633 clock), so this time I thought I would see if it was enough V to even do anything while I was there. PCMark benched it 3x time in a row, no lockups, max temp was just 1.1°C over system temp and 90% of the bench, it was AT ambient :D

I am going to give it one or two more shots unless someone can come up with something I am missing. First, I am going to try connecting VID3 to VID2 (which is connected to VSS internally)instead of directly to VSS. If that doesn't work, I'll bite the bullet and try a thicker strand or thin piece of solid core copper.

Thanks so far,
Ross

Well, tried VID3 to VID2 (had to do a little figure 8 around them the way the pins are aligned), still no go, so I give...

Just another nudge to go P4 and stop messing around with only 1GHz. If I am going to spend an hour messing around with dinky wires and little pins, I'd rather do it for 3GHz...LOL

If anyone does have any clues for me, I'd still appreciate them as P4 won't be for another few weeks.

Thanks,
Ross

Back