• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cant see fsb multipliers in amd computer!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

walkingwolf

Hm alright guys not sure if this is the right section or not... but i have a very important question and this place seemed to be it!

I have a computer that i want to lower the fsb controller on it but every time i tried it the multipliers never show up... ive tried the following programs

setfsb
clockgen
and i think thats about it.
if theres other programs you might suggest please please post them ty

I have a AMD A6-3600 APU with Radeon HD Graphics

6.0gb ram
AMD Radeon HD 6530D Graphics

and its a windows 7 home premium 64-bit sp1

i think i may have a locked bios or something? or is there a way around this sort of thing? sorry im not very computer smart. But would be great if someone could enlighten this! if theres anything else you might need from me let me know. thanks :)

I assume you have an OEM PC (Think Dell/HP) and usually the bios' are locked. If you know your PLL # for your board and SetFSB or Clockgen wont work, have you tried AMD overdrive?

ALso, why are you lowering your HTT(FSB) out of curiosity...?

Lowering the HT below stock can cause problems, the safest way to underclock it would be via the CPU multiplier and setfsb and clockgen don't allow you to do this, as EarthDog said amd overdrive may work if you have a oem board :thup:

AMDOverdrive only works with AMD 780 chipsets and above, I think.

Bit of a thread hijack but I have a dfi lanparty 790gx m2rsh and when I try to run aod it gives me an error of something like "aod can't find a Amd processor installed" ! Any ideas? It's am2 and the cpu is shown in device mgr, I need to find a "in windows clockgen" and aod was my last option as none of the other clockers work:mad:

Lowering the HT below stock can cause problems, the safest way to underclock it would be via the CPU multiplier and setfsb and clockgen don't allow you to do this, as EarthDog said amd overdrive may work if you have a oem board :thup:

What kind of problems? What if i just lower it a little bit?

And is it temporary? Or do i have to do it everytime i start up my computer? Does underclocking my FSB Cause computer problems?

These are the questions I ponder.. :\

I assume you have an OEM PC (Think Dell/HP) and usually the bios' are locked. If you know your PLL # for your board and SetFSB or Clockgen wont work, have you tried AMD overdrive?

ALso, why are you lowering your HTT(FSB) out of curiosity...?

Amd Overdrive lets you set the cpu multiplier in which i dont want to do that.

Im talking about FSB. You said their locked i guess? Anyway around it?

Also i have reasons for doing this... heh.. Oh one more question... How do I find this PLL thingy your talking about?

I don't even know if it will let you run it at lower than stock fsb without causing you trouble(bsod, hard locks etc) and why don't you want to use the multiplier and save the fsb down clocking drama's

FSB is intel... HT(HyperTransport) is AMD's FSB (isnt it?) I get confused... LOL

Anyway, I also dont understand why the insistence upon using the HTT to lower the clock speed...

Theres a console application K10 stat or K10 tweaker something like that which can do runtime microcode changes on AMD cpus. You can even create a startup entry that will automatically lock your CPUs multiplier below stock if thats what you want.

You can also use windows power management plan to limit CPU speeds. Under advanced plan options, processor power management, Max CPU state, set it to 70% or whatever until you hit your desired clockspeed.

And to follow keny and earthdog here you do not want to lower the HTRef speed below 200Mhz thats just asking for bad things to happen.

I don't even know if it will let you run it at lower than stock fsb without causing you trouble(bsod, hard locks etc) and why don't you want to use the multiplier and save the fsb down clocking drama's

because i dont want to lower my cpu multiplier... that just makes me screenlag a lot... o.o

i understand now that its my HT (FSB) but look i cant move the sliders...

i only want to bring it down just a tad bit. So even if i bring it lower than what it is now, its going to cause tons of trouble? just clearing that up..

It shouldnt make you 'screen lag' (what does that mean?) dropping the multiplier by 1?

What is the goal here, WHY do you want to lower your clockspeed?

because i dont want to lower my cpu multiplier... that just makes me screenlag a lot... o.o

i understand now that its my HT (FSB) but look i cant move the sliders...

i only want to bring it down just a tad bit. So even if i bring it lower than what it is now, its going to cause tons of trouble? just clearing that up..

You need to realize that lowering the HT frequency (AKA FSB) will not just affect the CPU clock speed. A number of components rely on that clock generator to run. So lowering your HT frequency will not just lower your CPU speed, it will also lower your RAM speed, and your integrated graphics core speed.
The reason using the multiplier instead of the HD is recommended is because that way you're isolating the CPU speed and not affecting the other components.

If you insist on going the HD frequency way; you may want to figure out what brand motherboard you have (unless we're talking about pre-build computer here like Dell, HP, etc) and see the the manufacturer offers software tools for over/under clocking.

SetFSB won't work on your computer. It does not support the FM1 chipset that your APU is built on.

ClockGen puts you on the same boat... No support for the FM1 chipset.

Your only options would be AMD Overdrive or going to the motherboard manufacturer to see if they make their own tool...

Now; if you decide to go with the multiplier option instead of HT... You may be able to use K10Stat or CPUTweaker to change that parameter.

You need to realize that lowering the HT frequency (AKA FSB) will not just affect the CPU clock speed. A number of components rely on that clock generator to run. So lowering your HT frequency will not just lower your CPU speed, it will also lower your RAM speed, and your integrated graphics core speed.
The reason using the multiplier instead of the HD is recommended is because that way you're isolating the CPU speed and not affecting the other components.

If you insist on going the HD frequency way; you may want to figure out what brand motherboard you have (unless we're talking about pre-build computer here like Dell, HP, etc) and see the the manufacturer offers software tools for over/under clocking.

SetFSB won't work on your computer. It does not support the FM1 chipset that your APU is built on.

ClockGen puts you on the same boat... No support for the FM1 chipset.

Your only options would be AMD Overdrive or going to the motherboard manufacturer to see if they make their own tool...

Now; if you decide to go with the multiplier option instead of HT... You may be able to use K10Stat or CPUTweaker to change that parameter.

ok so your saying i should forget the whole fsb thing because its literally impossible to do for my computer, and because it might hurt my computer? explain :/

anyway could you tell me the benefits and downfalls of lowering my cpu multiplier. i just might go that route instead, if its worth it...

thanks for the help :)

"If its worth it" - I'll ask again, can you please explain why you would like to do this? What is your goal?

Lowering the multi lowers the clockspeed only, just like Seebs stated.

"If its worth it" - I'll ask again, can you please explain why you would like to do this? What is your goal?

Lowering the multi lowers the clockspeed only, just like Seebs stated.

im just testing some stuff. some people said it extends the life of the cpu core. and others say it helps it run cooler and more sufficient. then again its my business as to what i want to do with it... i was just simply asking for advice and help.. hmm..

Lol, don't get snippy... im just asking and trying to focus our efforts in helping u by knowing what your goal is. Now that we know....

At stock speeds and even overclocked it will last well through its useful life. Lower the clockspeeds only, especially one notch or so will only have a negligible effect on temps...its the voltage that will help more. In combination the most. Cpus are built to last at the speeds they are rated for. You also should have power saving features already that downclock and lower the voltage....

Do you have any voltage options in your bios or can you adjust that in AOD?

What about in Catalyst Control Center? If I recall correctly, there's a CPU section in there that you can use to downclock your processor when not under heavy load. I don't know if it works for APUs, but it couldn't hurt to try, right?

CCC is for Videocards, not CPUs.

EDIT: Just looked for 100% confirmation and I didnt see anything in there... though I may have missed it?

Last edited:
Lol, don't get snippy... im just asking and trying to focus our efforts in helping u by knowing what your goal is. Now that we know....

At stock speeds and even overclocked it will last well through its useful life. Lower the clockspeeds only, especially one notch or so will only have a negligible effect on temps...its the voltage that will help more. In combination the most. Cpus are built to last at the speeds they are rated for. You also should have power saving features already that downclock and lower the voltage....

Do you have any voltage options in your bios or can you adjust that in AOD?

well in bios i cant really do anything because its grey and im unable to change stuff in there. so in AMD Overdrive im only able to move the cpu multiplier..

anyway its default is 10X

if i put it at lets say 8.5X will that make any difference or no?

Back