• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cant see fsb multipliers in amd computer!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok so your saying i should forget the whole fsb thing because its literally impossible to do for my computer, and because it might hurt my computer? explain :/
I'm not saying it will hurt your computer... I'm saying that you're going to have a very hard time adjusting HT (FSB) with the given BIOS limitations.

anyway could you tell me the benefits and downfalls of lowering my cpu multiplier. i just might go that route instead, if its worth it...

thanks for the help :)

There really wouldn't be any benefits from downclocking your CPU... They are built to run at their rated speeds and to last years and years doing it (provided there aren't defects).
If what you're after is longer "life" for your computer... You don't need to lower the CPU speed... You may want to look at maybe lowering the voltage that the motherboard is giving the CPU, but given that you're on a very limited BIOS; you may not be able to adjust that voltage.
I read some of your later replies and it seems to me you're a bit confused as to what you want... You mention "longer life" of your CPU... Just know that the longevity of your CPU is not related to the speed at which it runs... CPU life is dictated by two factors: Voltage and temperature... So as long as you keep the voltages within the "recommended" limits and do the same with the temperatures; your computer will live a long healthy life.

^+1

Really, if you set Windows Power Management to Balanced, you should have no problems with temperature or voltage, as it will automatically throttle down during light/no load situations (pretty much everything up to and including web browsing), and step back up to full speed at moderate to heavy load. There's no real need to sacrifice performance for longevity. It's going to likely last you much longer than you will have it.

1 reson you don't want to lower the FSB, is the bus timing for the PCI & PCIe slots will be off and anything pluged in them may not work right, as well as anything built in the MB like sound, SATA HDD's and such. The best thing to do to make your CPU last a long time is run at stock speed, and go over board on cooling, Air or Water cooling, what ever you feel good with.
I use the V6GT, it's rated for 200W+ CPU's, I have a FX-8120 clocked to 3.6GHZ and temps are around 37-39c with the cores at 100% running F@H.

1 reson you don't want to lower the FSB, is the bus timing for the PCI & PCIe slots will be off and anything pluged in them may not work right, as well as anything built in the MB like sound, SATA HDD's and such. .

I wondered when that was going to be said. ^FTW^.

Back