• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant Seem to Find Which Ramm to Get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Areonic

Registered
Ive recently made a build but have changed my mind on how much ram I wanted. I caurrently have 8 but want 32g. Also it seems everytime I tried to get my current ram to 1866 like it says when I bought it, my system would BSOD.
So now I want to go with a 32gb Set, but had some questions like....the kits Im seeing are 1600mhz...which seems like a downgrade, even though they say 1600, can they be overclocked to higher?

Current system specs are....

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
Sabertooth 990fx
Crucial CT128M4SSD2CCA 128GB SSD
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 Vengeance 8GB PC15000 DDR3 RAM - 1866MHz, 2x4096MB, Non-ECC, Unbuffered
AMD FD8150FRGUBOX FX-8150
Corsair H100i CPU Water Cooler
2x Crosfired XFX Radeon HD 7970 FX797ATDFC Video Card
Power Supply Thermaltake 850watt Smart Series

and here is the page Im looking at as to what ram to buy...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...0_1226_59719_59719,Detail;30_1228_47731_47731

Thank you for anyone can help.

If you are having trouble getting 8GB to 1866, you will have a more difficult time getting 32GB there. Also, ram speed really doesnt matter as increasing speeds negligibly affects performance. 1600MHz is fine. :)

Do you NEED 32GB are you eclipsing 8GB already?

In all honesty, I don't NEED it probably. Just was getting it to max everything out. Also thought of using a RAM-DISK at some point. Just was going to get 32gb of ram, and one of those Corsair ram Coolers to hook up to my corsair link from the H100i.

Choice is yours but the fan is not needed (but cool through the link). Its wasting money as it will likely never be needed for the life of your system. You should be able to get 16GB and assign an 8GB ramdisk with ease and save some money in the process.

I agree with the fan ordeal, it is more for the "cool" factor. Regarding the ramdisk, I wanted it to be large enough to put games that Im focusing on to it, as most games are 10-20gs,

I really cant see me using the 32g ram, but would like to have it just in case for some reason I do at some point. Guess my main question is would the 1600mhz be ok, or should I look for something higher or what should I be looking for when buying a 32g kit

Well, I mean if loading a level fast is needed and you dont have an SSD, sounds like a plan... though in multiplayer games, like BF3, you get there first you sit and wait so there is little benefit there.

As mentioned earlier, Id go 1600MHz as that much ram will be more difficult to reach higher speeds as it puts a lot more stress on the IMC.

Just was going to get 32gb of ram, and one of those Corsair ram Coolers to hook up to my corsair link from the H100i.
EDIT: You don't need RAM coolers. You need PC3-15000 RAM made from actual PC3-15000 chips instead of from overclocked PC3-10666 or PC3-12800 chips, as is the usual case.

Last edited:
What does it matter what its made out of? Its certified and tested to run at the speeds on the box, right? How would knowing this information (and where can you find it? Is it worth the effort anyway?) help the OP? I'm at a loss here...again, with this concern you bring up.

I'm sorry but I dont understand what you mean.
Its a non issue. He has brought this up before but, to me, hasnt supported the thinking well to this point. Im all for learning and hearing it though!

Now Im sitting here after reading other post and stuff wondering if 32g would even work. Asus boards website on my board says max 32g, but when googling some people seems to not be able to see all 32g. This was the set I was looking at if it matters. and heres the link to my boards site.

Board
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH_990FX/#specifications

Ram
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1705069&CatId=4534

Actually just had another question, when you bench and it gives you a score for your ram......is it based more on the amount of ram or freq, such as 1600. 1866, 2000 etc

Hey look, a DDR3 RAM IC rated for 1866: http://www.ic-on-line.cn/view_online.php?id=1476696&file=0239\h5tq2g63bfr_4995996.pdf

They exist. There are lots.
It's an invalid, irrelevant, point. Actually I wouldn't even call it a point as it simply is not true.
Of course I never said 1866 didn't exist, and I've even referenced chip maker web pages that listed them. What I actually said was that a manufacturer of retail memory, less than 3 weeks ago, claimed they didn't use chips rated above 1600 MHz in their 1866-2133 MHz modules, and the few reviews that provide chip details have revealed only 1333-1600 MHz chips in 2133 MHz heatsinked modules. What retail modules with heatsinks use 1600 MHz+ chips, and are they rated 2400 MHz?

Last edited:
You don't need RAM coolers but RAM not made of PC3-10666 or PC3-12800 chips that are run at PC3-15000.
I'm sorry but I dont understand what you mean.
I mean a lot of PC3-15000 modules are made with slower chips rated only PC3-12800 or even PC3-10666, and those modules are certified for PC3-15000 only because of lower quality standards. You'll be able to overclock more by starting out with faster chips rather than by resorting to more cooling.

Last edited:
So that is the advice for someone that hasn't yet mentioned he is overclocking ram in the first place (yet)...even though there is little to no reason to overclock ram in the first place?

Again I ask, how do you know what ic's are "actually rated at xxxx"?

Why would one waste their time finding this out when you can simply just buy xxxx speed anyway regardless of the underlying rating of the ic? I just don't see this as a benefit for most, especially joe average user...

You'll be able to overclock more by starting out with faster chips rather than by resorting to more cooling.
This has been disproved rather often throughout the history of RAM.
The most epic examples would be the early D9 DDR2 ram, rated for 533MHz (bus speed of 266) with 3-3-3 or 4-4-4 timings. Runs 1100-1200MHz easily, in a time when memory rated for 1200 didn't exist and nothing else could get there, regardless of whether it was rated for a higher speed. Oh, and 1066MHz DDR2 didn't exist either (never did if you ask JEDEC, they capped at 800).

Another wonderful example is the early Hyper ICs, rated for 1333-7-7-7 or 8-8-8, but did 2000-7-7-7 in a time when the highest rated chips were in the 1800 range and couldn't touch 2000.

Hypers figure into things again later when second generation Hypers and PSC were going head to head. Hypers weren't rated as high, but the PSC didn't OC much at all and was forced to use worse (higher, slower) timings, while the Hypers OC'd quite happily and used very tight timings.

If you were picking RAM now for OCing use, would you pick G.Skill's 1600-6-8-6 kit or G.Skill's 2000-9-10-9 kit?
If you picked the kit with the higher rating, you're going to be disappointed. The 1600 kit goes much higher.

I strongly recommend that you do some research on this subject rather than conjuring up straw man after straw man and ducking anything you don't have a response to.

Just to give something that can be argued with so the rest of my post can be ignored by those with no actual data/knowledge:

It doesn't matter in the slightest what the IC is rated to do if the stick is tested, binned, and rated for a (far) higher speed. It'll work there, after all, and that's its job.

I am sorry if I sparked up something. I guess my overall problem was right now I have a set a ram that said when I bought it, it was rated at 1866. But if I try to run it at that I crash, so now I wonder if when searching to buy a 32g kit, if I should just stick with something that says 1600. As for the overclocking, I've read alot of people saying there is very little gain to OC'ing compared to stability so I havent really made that choice, but it seems if I read somethings right, it doesnt matter what ram you get, it can be OC'd past what its advertised, unless Im wrong.

So yea....When looking for ram, what MHZ should I look for that its advertising?
Heres my current ram....Which I have only gotten to run stable at 1600. Also, for whatever its worth, my ram says PC-1500, but on cpuz says 10700

Attachments

• ramm.jpg
    ramm.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 101
  • ram2.jpg
    ram2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
2-16-2@1600mhz?! Those cas and trp timings are amazing or extremely bugged.

Bulldozer IMC, probably.
It bugs CPUz.

933MHz (XMP) is the 1866 profile. There should be a multiplier for it in BIOS.

larrymoencurly said:
You'll be able to overclock more by starting out with faster chips rather than by resorting to more cooling.
This has been disproved rather often throughout the history of RAM.

So do you honestly believe that modules made with, to cite real world examples, Samsung hyk0k4b2g0846d chips with speed grade H9 (1333 MHz), are more likely to overclock successfully at the same speeds as modules made with the same Samsung chips graded K0 (1600 MHz)?

If you were picking RAM now for OCing use, would you pick G.Skill's 1600-6-8-6 kit or G.Skill's 2000-9-10-9 kit?
If you picked the kit with the higher rating, you're going to be disappointed. The 1600 kit goes much higher.
What chips are on each module, including the factory speed grades printed on them?

I strongly recommend that you do some research on this subject rather than conjuring up straw man after straw man and ducking anything you don't have a response to.
You too, Bob. :D

I have been doing tons of research and honestly keep going in circles....I currently have 38 windows open in Chrome trying to find what I thought were simple questions for alot of people, and still stumped. So I really hope you guys dont think I just came on here to ask and be given a simple, non-worked for answer. It seems this has gone totally off where I was asking, so should I just make a simple list of questions instead of my mind running everyone in circles.

Back