• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant Seem to Find Which Ramm to Get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have been doing tons of research and honestly keep going in circles....I currently have 38 windows open in Chrome trying to find what I thought were simple questions for alot of people, and still stumped. So I really hope you guys dont think I just came on here to ask and be given a simple, non-worked for answer. It seems this has gone totally off where I was asking, so should I just make a simple list of questions instead of my mind running everyone in circles.

Simple version:

If the memory can't run at the specs that they're marketed at, there defective and you should contact the customer support department of the company that made them.

So that is the advice for someone that hasn't yet mentioned he is overclocking ram in the first place (yet)...even though there is little to no reason to overclock ram in the first place?
Yes. Or enable XMP in the BIOS and bump up the memory voltage a bit.

Again I ask, how do you know what ic's are "actually rated at xxxx"?
Again I answer, by looking at writing on the ICs. Some reviews provide that information.

Why would one waste their time finding this out when you can simply just buy xxxx speed anyway regardless of the underlying rating of the ic? I just don't see this as a benefit for most, especially joe average user...
Because what's printed on prime chips is the most conservative rating that's most likely to always work, and lots of module makers advertise inflated ratings that are as optimistic as their heatsinks are gaudy.

I actually got it running at 1866 all day by going into bios dhcp i think then my ram had a profile....dumb yet it worked.

But here are what Im trying to get answered as tomorrow night Ill be ordering Ram...

1)Can 1 memory brand or type be faster than the other, even if they have the same clock speed of 1866.

2)After all my research I look at the becnhmarks on ram, and see how great stats are for an intel chip but when I see the same ram....with horrid stats with my 8150...is there a certain ram I should get as for AMD?

3)I saw a chart someone made, that pretty much made it look like if you run 4 sticks of 8g..that the max on an amd can only run at 1600...so would 1866 be wasting money?

4) Is it even worth getting 1866 compared to 1600?

5) Can you overclock what the ram is rated for even what your board is rated for...say both say 1866...can you OC down the line if wanted to?

6) Im currently looking at the Dominator PLatinum......will that give me better results than others...or are most ram all the same

The whole point is Im trying to future proof, have 32g of ram...which is just easy to go buy one....but I was wondering if I could get ram that would give more performance, or higher ratings....again Im sorry, I used to know alot about this stuff until something happened to loss of memory so bothers me to even ask and please bare with me...

I actually got it running at 1866 all day by going into bios dhcp i think then my ram had a profile....dumb yet it worked.

But here are what Im trying to get answered as tomorrow night Ill be ordering Ram...

1)Can 1 memory brand or type be faster than the other, even if they have the same clock speed of 1866.
Yes, because one brand may be rated more honestly. I've mentioned a certain Patriot 2133 MHz made from 1600 MHz chips and Corsair and G.Skill 2133 MHz made from 1333 MHz chips. Go by the ratings of the chips, not the the ratings of the modules. Better yet, don't exceed the ratings of the chips. Bottom line: if you want to be guaranteed of getting prime quality modules, choose no-heatsink Crucial. Normally I'd also include Samsung, but you want 8GB modules, and I can't find any retail Samsung bigger than 4GB.

If you want speed, concentrate on the CPU and graphics card.

Graphic cards are CFX 7970s so only there I can do is OC them. But what your saying regarding the chips lost me. I didnt even know there were chip ratings or how to find them out much less

So do you honestly believe that modules made with, to cite real world examples, Samsung hyk0k4b2g0846d chips with speed grade H9 (1333 MHz), are more likely to overclock successfully at the same speeds as modules made with the same Samsung chips graded K0 (1600 MHz)?

What chips are on each module, including the factory speed grades printed on them?

You too, Bob. :D

Guess you didn't know that the best IC's on the market for memory overclocking are for the most part rated at 1333mhz.

BBSE? 1333@ 9-9-9 1.5v. Good sets do 7-10-7@2400mhz
Hyper IC? 1333@9-9-9 1.5v. Good sets do 8-8-7@2400mhz
PSC? most are 1333@9-9-9 1.5v (there are some exceptions like gskill sticks that are rated at 1600mhz). Good sets do 7-11-7@2400mhz

With regards to samsung HYK0 that might be samsung itself binning them, but once you get past those stock speeds it is all a tossup for max overclocks. Just like processors every set of memory is different and just because its binned to a certain speed doesn't a whole lot except in very rare cases.

Posted this post in the wrong thread, whoops.
This thread is pretty well taken care of at this point.

Guess you didn't know that the best IC's on the market for memory overclocking are for the most part rated at 1333mhz.

BBSE? 1333@ 9-9-9 1.5v. Good sets do 7-10-7@2400mhz
Hyper IC? 1333@9-9-9 1.5v. Good sets do 8-8-7@2400mhz
PSC? most are 1333@9-9-9 1.5v (there are some exceptions like gskill sticks that are rated at 1600mhz). Good sets do 7-11-7@2400mhz

With regards to samsung HYK0 that might be samsung itself binning them, but once you get past those stock speeds it is all a tossup for max overclocks. Just like processors every set of memory is different and just because its binned to a certain speed doesn't a whole lot except in very rare cases.
I thought all chip makers binned their products because they can't predict exactly how they'll turn out, and they don't all turn out exactly the same.

How do we tell ahead of purchase if a module has any of those highly overclockable chips, and how overclockable are those Samsung H9 chip compared to their faster grade K0 siblings?

If you're buying new, you aren't getting any of those three types of IC"s since they are all EOL.

As far as samsung memory I've only owned a few sets so don't quote me but HCH9 is generally stronger than HYK0. Of course there are exceptions to the rule though.

Back