• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant unlock 4 cores on my phenom 560X2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dom Bruv

Registered
Hey so so ive tried to unlock the other cores by pressing "4" on the start up screen and it restarts tell me my other 2 cores are unlocked but my pc just turns itself off within seconds on start up when i have them unlock.

Can anyone help me in a noob and have no idea?

Thanks! :D

Give us some details like Mobo model. Have you tried going into Bios and doing it? Sometime te cores just aren't stable and that's why they're locked!

Could also require additional voltage. Honestly were just taking shots in the dark here. We need more information. Which motherboard are you using, what cooler, is it currently overclocked?

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X2 560 69 °C
Callisto 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4N68T-M-LE-V2 (AM3) 73 °C
Graphics
ACER S271HL (1360x768@60Hz)
1024MB ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (XFX Pine Group) 47 °C
Hard Drives
466GB Western Digital WDC WD50 00AAKS-00YGA SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 35 °C
Optical Drives
MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0001
Optiarc DVD RW AD-5260S SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
VIA High Definition Audio

I don't know if those temps are accurate but if you're at 69° already and you unlock the additional cores. That could be the source of the restarts. What case( how many fans) and CPU cooler are you using.
When you unlock the processor your're going from 80w to something more like 120. With the 3=1 power on that board that's alot of draw and cooling will be key.
Also what BIOS version are you running.

I don't know if those temps are accurate but if you're at 69° already and you unlock the additional cores. That could be the source of the restarts. What case( how many fans) and CPU cooler are you using.
When you unlock the processor your're going from 80w to something more like 120. With the 3=1 power on that board that's alot of draw and cooling will be key.
Also what BIOS version are you running.

BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version 0402
Date 30/07/2010

Can't find on Speccy anywhere what the case is or the CPU cooler :\
I'm not running 4 cores atm I'm running 2, and I also turned the fan up speed up cos i want it running cool as I knew it would be taking more power, maybe I just need a new power block or something (PSU I think It's called).

Last edited:
Ok I assume it's probably the stock HS on the CPU then. Try something for me if you can Dom. pull the side panel off the case and take a strong desk/house fan and point it into the case. Then run speccy again and see if the temps drop. Also while you're in there check the CPU cooler and see if it has anAMD or Phenom sticker on top of it.

Ok I assume it's probably the stock HS on the CPU then. Try something for me if you can Dom. pull the side panel off the case and take a strong desk/house fan and point it into the case. Then run speccy again and see if the temps drop. Also while you're in there check the CPU cooler and see if it has anAMD or Phenom sticker on top of it.

Thanks man I'll do that now, can also post pictures off inside if that would help.

Yes it doesn't have no name on it just numbers and letters so I'm guessing your right it's stock (Doesn't look fancy either :p) okay so I put the fan in front of the open cased and it's showing this now on Speccy

CPU
AMD Phenom II X2 560 53 °C
Callisto 45nm Technology
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4N68T-M-LE-V2 (AM3) 52 °C
ACER S271HL (1360x768@60Hz)
1024MB ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (XFX Pine Group) 41 °C

Last edited:
Ya just like I thought. A 16° difference. So just for fun see if all 4 cores will boot! You're definatel going to need a better CPU cooler and possibly a case. I'm assuming that the speccy was done with no load.

Ya just like I thought. A 16° difference. So just for fun see if all 4 cores will boot! You're definatel going to need a better CPU cooler and possibly a case. I'm assuming that the speccy was done with no load.

I really don't wonna try tbh cos every time I do it takes me a good hour to get my pc to boot up without crashing within seconds :\. As I don't know my Bios function key so I gotta smash random buttons for an hour till i get it :p.

With no load? Don't know what you mean :p. I don't think I need a new case there is lot's of room so I'm guessing I just need a new CPU cooler? e.g. better fan?

Thanks

Pics:

Delete is the key to enter BIOS. Push it during the first stages of your computer posting. If you think the case is bigenough put as many fans in it as you can. Cold air in through the front and warm air out through the back. Cooler master Hyper 212's are great coolers and only about $30.

Delete is the key to enter BIOS. Push it during the first stages of your computer posting. If you think the case is bigenough put as many fans in it as you can. Cold air in through the front and warm air out through the back. Cooler master Hyper 212's are great coolers and only about $30.

You should be able to see the pictures now mate, do you think the case is big enough?

Also is putting a new fan on simple?

And will this one do the job? I like it it's pink :p http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009XGZZ52/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

My work comp won't let me access them. You can attach them directly to your post. Go to "Go advanced" right beside the quick reply button and you'll see a paperclip for attachments.

Dom before you attempt to do any kind of unlocking/overclocking you need to address the cooling issue.

What case do you have? Judging by the photos it looks like a Xigmatek ASGARD?!?! If it is then it's 7.28" wide so you'll have some restrictions on what cooler you can fit.

The heatsink you have on there looks like a COOLER MASTER DK9, it should be cooling the chip a bit better then it is. What are your ambient temps and when was the last time the heatsink was cleaned and or removed and had the TIM replaced?

Last edited:
No still no pics the site is blocked by my employer. As for the pink cooler Not the best IMHO. You'll want something that fits a 120mm fan on it like this Your biggest concern is the height. The cooler 159mm high so you need that much room between your CPU and case door for it to fit. If you're looking around look for one that fits an AM3 socket. You can put pink fans on any cooler if you really want to.

Back