• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant unlock 4 cores on my phenom 560X2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4N68T-M-LE-V2 (AM3). Now I have a question that has rather concerned me over the course of these 3 pages of posting.

Are we looking at cooling because the OP cannot get a 2 core processor to use the other two cores? It is hinted at the heat being the reason he cannot unlock the two disabled cores of his cpu. Is the OP being left with the impression that with good cooling that he will then be able to unlock the two disabled cores?

If the OP is under what maybe a mis-impression that he can get better cooling and then unlock the two disabled cores; I fear he maybe very disappointed when he gets different cooling.

That Nvidia chipsetted board does not have ACC for unlocking disabled cores of some AMD cpus. The Nvidia mechanics of unlocking disabled cores are not the same as the AMD ACC nor is the Nvidia unlocker, like the later Asus unlocking done by a dedicated chipset.

So I suggest that seeking better cooling be sought for the sake of a better cooling setup, but without any hint of cooling being the cure for a failed unlock. Unlocking has just about gone by the wayside as other platforms have supplanted many of the older processors and chipsets. There never was any guarantee of a working unlock. Success rates of unlocking disabled cores never exceeded about 60% overall and varied by batches of cpus. Nvidia chipset boards had the lesser unlock success rate.

I can remember some that had an unlocked cpu and changed to another motherboard and then the cpu now failed to unlock. Get good cooling if needed to operate in 2 core mode as the cpu was sold, but not as a route to unlocking disabled cores as the main concern.
RGone...

Here is a cool list that i use when looking for unlockable cpu's, nothing to do with the OP and his problems but thought i would share with the AMD section, it would be good to have some sort of stickie for it to be used as a reference, there's some cpu's on there that i would not consider unlockable, but they are.

unlockable list

@op

If you just get a few of THESE and some of THESE to go with them, then just screw them to the mountings on your case, and im sure you will drop a few degrees inside your case for a minimum amount of money :thup:

Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4N68T-M-LE-V2 (AM3). Now I have a question that has rather concerned me over the course of these 3 pages of posting.

Are we looking at cooling because the OP cannot get a 2 core processor to use the other two cores? It is hinted at the heat being the reason he cannot unlock the two disabled cores of his cpu. Is the OP being left with the impression that with good cooling that he will then be able to unlock the two disabled cores?

If the OP is under what maybe a mis-impression that he can get better cooling and then unlock the two disabled cores; I fear he maybe very disappointed when he gets different cooling.

That Nvidia chipsetted board does not have ACC for unlocking disabled cores of some AMD cpus. The Nvidia mechanics of unlocking disabled cores are not the same as the AMD ACC nor is the Nvidia unlocker, like the later Asus unlocking done by a dedicated chipset.

So I suggest that seeking better cooling be sought for the sake of a better cooling setup, but without any hint of cooling being the cure for a failed unlock. Unlocking has just about gone by the wayside as other platforms have supplanted many of the older processors and chipsets. There never was any guarantee of a working unlock. Success rates of unlocking disabled cores never exceeded about 60% overall and varied by batches of cpus. Nvidia chipset boards had the lesser unlock success rate.

I can remember some that had an unlocked cpu and changed to another motherboard and then the cpu now failed to unlock. Get good cooling if needed to operate in 2 core mode as the cpu was sold, but not as a route to unlocking disabled cores as the main concern.
RGone...

Ah I see! Well I have been lead to believe that I need better cooler or a new PSU (Power block thing) to be able to run my 4 cores, sometimes It does work but only for around 10 seconds - 1 minute.

Here is a cool list that i use when looking for unlockable cpu's, nothing to do with the OP and his problems but thought i would share with the AMD section, it would be good to have some sort of stickie for it to be used as a reference, there's some cpu's on there that i would not consider unlockable, but they are.

unlockable list

@OP

If you just get a few of THESE and some of THESE to go with them, then just screw them to the mountings on your case, and im sure you will drop a few degrees inside your case for a minimum amount of money :thup:

Ah thanks man I will buy some of those then! :)

Ya just like I thought. A 16° difference. So just for fun see if all 4 cores will boot! You're definatel going to need a better CPU cooler and possibly a case. I'm assuming that the speccy was done with no load. << From post #13.

Well when you had the fan blowing into the case and temps dropped by that much...IS when you should have tried the other 2 cores unlocked. If the computer still crashed nearly immediately, then the problem is not heat related. Surely you need some better case cooling and likely cpu cooling, but I am guessing that is not the real problem at all.

Ya just like I thought. A 16° difference. So just for fun see if all 4 cores will boot! You're definatel going to need a better CPU cooler and possibly a case. I'm assuming that the speccy was done with no load. << From post #13.

Well when you had the fan blowing into the case and temps dropped by that much...IS when you should have tried the other 2 cores unlocked. If the computer still crashed nearly immediately, then the problem is not heat related. Surely you need some better case cooling and likely cpu cooling, but I am guessing that is not the real problem at all.

I will try it but it ****s my pc up for ages and doesn't let me even get to bios for hours if it doesn't work.

I will try it but it ****s my pc up for ages and doesn't let me even get to bios for hours if it doesn't work.

It sounds to me like you need to quit fooling around with core unlocking and use the computer and the cpu as the 2 core it was sold as.
RGone...:bang head

Just clear the cmos if it fails and you will be able to get straight back into your bios without waiting, just short the cmos jumper on your board, or if that sounds too daunting, take the battery out for 10 mins. Im with RGone on this, that i suspect the cores on the cpu are either both defective or at least one is, and that's what's causing the shutdowns once the core unlocker is enabled.

Just clear the cmos if it fails and you will be able to get straight back into your bios without waiting, just short the cmos jumper on your board, or if that sounds too daunting, take the battery out for 10 mins. Im with RGone on this, that i suspect the cores on the cpu are either both defective or at least one is, and that's what's causing the shutdowns once the core unlocker is enabled.

Yeah, Keny, you would think clearing the CMOS would allow going forward again and no hours worth of trying to bootup.
RGone...

haha maybe I should :p
gonna get some new fans and new PSU and then try it :p

You surely need better cooling even if the other cores never unlock. You certainly ought to be able to overclock the two cores for an added performance boost, but you had heat issues at nearly stock speeds with just the two cores. So cooling is an awesome idea anyway. Luck man.
RGone...

I really don't wonna try tbh cos every time I do it takes me a good hour to get my pc to boot up without crashing within seconds :\. As I don't know my Bios function key so I gotta smash random buttons for an hour till i get it :p.

With no load? Don't know what you mean :p. I don't think I need a new case there is lot's of room so I'm guessing I just need a new CPU cooler? e.g. better fan?

Thanks

Pics:

Your PSU is a POS! I wouldn't be surprised if that's why it's shutting down!

I linked to good psu here in the UK at a stupid cheap price, I will see if I can find the post at link it here

Edit HERE is the link, it was £16 when I bought one

Back