• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant unlock 4 cores on my phenom 560X2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dom before you attempt to do any kind of unlocking/overclocking you need to address the cooling issue.

What case do you have? Judging by the photos it looks like a Xigmatek ASGARD?!?! If it is then it's 7.28" wide so you'll have some restrictions on what cooler you can fit.

The heatsink you have on there looks like a COOLER MASTER DK9, it should be cooling the chip a bit better then it is. What are your ambient temps and when was the last time the heatsink was cleaned and or removed and had the TIM replaced?

Yes It is an Xigmatek ASGARD, I have never in my life cleaned the heatsink or had the TIM (what is a tim? the thermal paste?) replaced. "What are your ambient temps" Where do I find this mate?

No still no pics the site is blocked by my employer. As for the pink cooler Not the best IMHO. You'll want something that fits a 120mm fan on it like this Your biggest concern is the height. The cooler 159mm high so you need that much room between your CPU and case door for it to fit. If you're looking around look for one that fits an AM3 socket. You can put pink fans on any cooler if you really want to.

Ah I see, there is loads of room between the door and fan length wise but the power supply stops it from there being much room height wise.

The fan on the CPU has something with alot of fins under it. This need to be cleaned regularly. When I say height for a cpu cooler it's the distance between the door and the board.

Yes It is an Xigmatek ASGARD, I have never in my life cleaned the heatsink or had the TIM (what is a tim? the thermal paste?) replaced. "What are your ambient temps" Where do I find this mate?
I would start out by giving the entire pc a good dust blasting. If the temperatures don't improve removal of the heatsink and a cleaning off of the old thermal paste and replacement would be your next step.

Ambient temperatures are the temperature of the room that the PC is located in.

You should measure the distance from your Mobo to the side door so you know howmuch space you have available.The CM hpyper would be really close either way so I can't say for sure!

The temp in my room is very warm as i live in an attic.
Well give us an idea of what it is, a heatsink can only cool as well as the air that is in the environment around it.

Dom please slow down a bit, your case is fine for what you have. Don't just go buying parts because they're cheap. If you are going to replace components replace them with quality ones. I still think you need to do some of the things that I suggested above and need to answer my last post. If you're sitting in a 30c attic you're going to have a hell of a time cooling that chip no matter what heatsink you have.

Dom please slow down a bit, your case is fine for what you have. Don't just go buying parts because they're cheap. If you are going to replace components replace them with quality ones. I still think you need to do some of the things that I suggested above and need to answer my last post. If you're sitting in a 30c attic you're going to have a hell of a time cooling that chip no matter what heatsink you have.

Alright so what can i get for better cooling? This is quite some room between the cpu and the door, could at least fit 5-6 of the fan i have in now. I also don't have a clue about the average room temp but it can go from anywhere to 23 - 32 degrease in the summer.

What you need to do is measure from your Mobo to the side edge of the case to verify how much room you have.
212.jpg

The hyper212 need 160mm from the CPU to the side door of your case to fit MINIMUM. You won't know what will fit till you measure. Like I said your case is borderline.

Infact it wont i get 150mm with the fan off :\ is there a better cooling system that will fit my unit than the one I've got without buying a new case?

With a case which is too narrow to fit a 120MM tower heatsink your left with 2 options. You can look for either a 92MM tower cooler, or you can look for a top down cooler.

THIS is a fairly decent 92MM tower style heatsink.

THIS is a top rank top down style heatsink.

there are cheaper and more expensive options on both styles.

With a case which is too narrow to fit a 120MM tower heatsink your left with 2 options. You can look for either a 92MM tower cooler, or you can look for a top down cooler.

THIS is a fairly decent 92MM tower style heatsink.

THIS is a top rank top down style heatsink.

there are cheaper and more expensive options on both styles.

What? I said i have 150, that guy said i need 160 not 120? :S

Both of those coolers will fit the 120 refers to the fan size.

His picture in post #33 does not even show a rear exhaust fan being used. No wonder it gets hot. From the picture I could not see if there were an fan drawing air in at the lower front, but I fear not.
Bobert...

Good ete there Bobert. Should order a couple of those too

Back