• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Fan Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtyme07

Hey guys I have this case...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

...I'm looking at getting some LED fans to give it a cool look and to get some better air flow through the case because I am running 2 GPU's in SLI that run very hot...
What's your guy's recommendation for some cool looking fans that pump a lot of air as quiet as possible? Also should I get a fan controller?

And lastly, I am looking to run a couple water cooling loops, I think I'll probably need a 120x2 rad for my i7 930 and a seperate 120x3 for my two GTX 470s, is there any way I could fit those inside of my case without modding?

If the VRM's on that motherboard have heatsinks on them, they are likely making bad contact. Are the heatsinks hot or cool to the touch? If the latter, I'd remove the heatsinks to see what kind of impression they are making on the thermal pad. I'm guessing you will find one side not touching, so reinstalling them should fix your issue. I haven't had to have a fan cooling my motherboard for years.

If you want quiet fans, that look cool, and don't actually need to provide any real cooling (They don't if you're watercooling the CPU and the GPUs) then there is a vast selection of quiet fans. Personally I've got a few Thermaltake 3 speed fans. They're not the best performance, and they're not the quietest you can find, but I've had 5 of them running at the same time (on the lowest setting), and even with that many, it's only about as noticeable as a couple normal 120mm fan. They're also LED fans. Mine are blue, I'm fairly certain you can get them in green and red as well though.

Also, you definitely don't need a full 120x2 rad just for a CPU. You should honestly be fine running the CPU with the GPUs on a 120x2 rad. They're quite amazing little things. I've never seen a situation where someone has need more than the equivalent of a 120x3mm rad for their entire setup. You could definitely get a 120x3mm rad for it to be safe, but you definitely don't need 120x5mm unless you're also cooling your RAM, your northbridge, your MOSFETs, and your hard drives. I'd go with a single 120x3 rad for your entire setup.

Back