• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case fan setup for new i9 9900 build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kepico

Registered
Case: Fractal Design Mini R2
Mboard: TUF Z390-M Pro (mATX)
Use: No gaming\OC'ing but heavy video rendering\editing

I have an i9 990k on order (still waiting of course) but in the meantime trying to get everything I need to build it right first time.

I was wondering about my case fan situation, here is what I currently have;
1 front intake 120mm, 1 rear exhaust 120mm, 1 top exhaust 140mm

My CPU cooler that I have here for the 9900 is a Noctua NH-D15S and it is extremely large! So I thought about that top exhaust fan, I don't think it will get in the way of the CPU fan but with the D15S being so big will it even be doing anything? Or worse maybe it will create some sort of wind vortex?

So I was thinking to add another 120mm front fan (so 2 total for intake) and remove the top 140mm fan?

Any opinions?

Experimentation with various configurations is the key here. Your concerns are valid but you won't know until you try both. And it may not make much difference one way or the other.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that too, that it may not make much difference so likely easier to just leave them as is.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you find you are having temp issues once you get your build completed.

It won't make much of a difference really...

Just in general run front/sides as intake, and top/rear as exhaust. I'd add the intake and not remove a thing. ;)

Back