• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case fans, positioning, and rattling.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

Well I recently found out what the ratling was inside my computer, it really sounded like a screw being loose but it's not. Two of my fans on my CPU coolers (both the same model, came with my case but were in the lower HDD bays, those bays being empty, didn't make sense to leave them there)
rattle like crazy at medium to full load (so I manual BIOS'ed them to run at 50 at all times)

Found this out by opening my case when the computer was on (yes yes I know its bad to do) Oddly enough this made the sound go away, (static pressure?) determined to find out I pressed up on one of the CPU coolers lower fans (=) <--- the bottom one if that makes sense in a push/pull and it rattled like crazy. The same with the identical model fan on the other CPU cooler. My two CM Hyper 212 EVO's run so the fans blow vertically, suck in from bottom push out top.

Obviously, running fans at only 50% on an overclocked machine is not optimal at all. I hear that using sleeve bearing fans in the vertical configuration as I've done is the cause of this rattling. (I don't know what bering type they are but... makes a lot of sense) What would you guys recommend for me to replace them with? I would like to overclock higher than 3.5GHz 24/7 one day, and I was thinking

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...n_-_5400_RPM_D1225C12BBAP-31_Coming_Soon.html

Which are double ball bearing. Are Gentle Typhoons still considered the best for CPU coolers/rads? Is there a cheaper, similarly performing option? I hear good things about Gelid...

Hyper 212 you want good fans. I really can't say which ones, there is too much out there and I don't really keep track.

That said, when you push on a fan corner? on the cooler it rattles? Sounds like a loose mount. And stock case fans ain't very good for sure for much. Not a CPU cooler or rad.

The AP-30 or AP-29, one of them can be made into a PWM fan, that's the best one I can think of. We talk about it here in one of the cooling forums, can't find the post, prolly on the second page etc of older posts. I'd get that for a CPU cooler if you want more cooling and it is quiet when you PWM it to lower RPS off the PWM header.

Hyper 212 you want good fans. I really can't say which ones, there is too much out there and I don't really keep track.

That said, when you push on a fan corner? on the cooler it rattles? Sounds like a loose mount. And stock case fans ain't very good for sure for much. Not a CPU cooler or rad.

The AP-30 or AP-29, one of them can be made into a PWM fan, that's the best one I can think of. We talk about it here in one of the cooling forums, can't find the post, prolly on the second page etc of older posts. I'd get that for a CPU cooler if you want more cooling and it is quiet when you PWM it to lower RPS off the PWM header.

No, the middle of the fan, like directly above the motor, the circular part.
And yeah it was just sort of a snap descision while building, I didn't know much about case fans back then but now knowing more I know I need higher performing ones. So the Gentle Typhoons are still the king huh? Alright.

Sounds like an excuse to get two NH-D14's

Their website says its compatible with my mobo but I seriously doubt that they're freaking huge, the two of them would be nearly touching...

Wow... lol... it would be touching my top GTX 670...

I think ill just buy 4 of the Gentle Typhoons XD

Hopefully ball bearing wont rattle when in the vertical position

GT's don't rattle. They are honey in a meadow with the perfect chilled beer.

Let's hope so, for $20 a peice fans, lol. Should I get the AP-15's or the faster ones? I will be overclocking a lot more in the future (4 GHz... yes plz)

You have a soldering iron? The PCB on the faster GTs actually support PWM, you just have to solder a wire to the contact for that 4th wire. They're actually pretty quiet when you lower the speed, so you get the best of both worlds.

You have a soldering iron? The PCB on the faster GTs actually support PWM, you just have to solder a wire to the contact for that 4th wire. They're actually pretty quiet when you lower the speed, so you get the best of both worlds.

Uh no, lol nor the hands on skills to pull off such a feat =P tbh I don't understand the difference between soldering and welding

Might just get the AP-15s and manual BIOS set them to 100% 24/7, I hear they aren't very loud at max.

Back