• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case MOD in progress

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ziggey

Im not sure if I can call it progress, Iv'e been working on it for a year. I was deployed to Kuwait for a few months so I guess I have an excuse. Anyway I plan on finishing this by next weekend. Im just waiting on some memory.
Here is the front. I have a cdrw mod, some temp lcd's in a plexi window, rheo mod in a plexi window, and a 5" LCD screen.
Im gonna redo the temp lcd window to make it neater and even.

case%20front.JPG

CDRW as seen from above. I tried to make it match the case with the window/brass swrews.

cdrw%20top%20in%20case.jpg

RHEO mod.

RHEO%20close%20a.JPG

Knob with 3mm blue

knob3.jpg

Hard drive

PSU%20MOD%20a.JPG

This is all im posting for now. I'll post pics of the rest once its done. I have 4 uv lights in this case and etched just about every window in this case, then filled in the etching grooves with uv paint. Iv'e posted some of this back in septemberish.

Special thanks to Theforumisdown.com for hosting the pics. I'll upload them to my web site once I get the bugs out.

Last edited:
I'll put some UV pics up soon. My avatar is the top of my cdrw with the UV light on. You cant see the uv light in the picture i posted earlier so here it is.

CDRW with shell off.

cdrw uv light.jpg

Larger pic of dragon.

dragon.jpg

Thanks alot for all the remarks. Im currently etching a dragon warrior sceen into the side window on my case. Been working on it for months, but Im gonna finish it soon. I was doing about 1-2 square inches a night then stopped while I was deployed.
Im just gonna quit BS'ing and finish it up.
I also changed all the screws on the outside of my PSU to black so it all matches.

Iv'e been testing the PSU (edit not HDD thats an insane error) with a 4" UV cathode in it to see if anything bad happens. So far so good. Nothing melted, and no sparks. The window glows nicely, and it lights up the upper portion of my case nicely.

Last edited:
I really like the plexi driveplates.. very cool. That carbon fiber accent in the cdrom looks good too. I used to be able to get vinyl like that, but I dont work at the shop anymore.
Awesome work on the etches.. and the UV light in the grooves adds a great touch. Keep up the good work.

Ziggey said:
Iv'e been testing the HDD with a 4" UV cathode in it to see if anything bad happens. So far so good. Nothing melted, and no sparks. The window glows nicely, and it lights up the upper portion of my case nicely.

Am i reading this right, the CCL is IN the HD? if so thats ballsy. If not... still cool. (Again im a big fan of UV)

Fushyuguru said:

Am i reading this right, the CCL is IN the HD? if so thats ballsy. If not... still cool. (Again im a big fan of UV)

(edit) PSU not HDD, glad you cought that, I changed post up above to reflect. Thanks.
As your looking at the PSU pic above, which is old. I mounted the cathode between the edge of the fan, and the window. I had to remove the little rubber end caps, and replace it with heat shrink tibing to get it in there, but if it dosn't melt or start a fire It's going back in the case perma. If something bad happens I'll just remove it.
I don't forsee any problems, as long as the PSU doesn't die on me. Then im SOL on the warrenty.

Just a pic of the window etching.

UV PSU.jpg

Last edited:
Love it man, the multi color etching is great and original, i havent seen anything like it before, great stuff man.

nice etching and great mod(s)!
i've never done any etching so i'm interested in how you got the colors? and just how it's done in general? (not detailed, just a quick summary =)

Great Mod......Those are great cases to work in !

Got the same case with the Silver trims rather than gold......As someone mentioned ...love the carbon fibre. on the CD rom.... But it might look even cooler if you put the same stuff on your front plate behind the plastic cover! I see you lost the top blow hole with the window though ! I'm going to build a top window but try and keep the fan mounts. Also to increase the airflow from the front two fans it's a good idea to remove the whole of the front panels and remove the fan guards. If you have a neon or UV inside you get a beter effect as well

blueice 4.jpg

What it looks like with the gaurds inside removed

DSC010021.jpg

This is the blow hole i wanna keep but also with the guard....time to break out the dremmel :D

What did you use to window the floppy drive ?

Dude! Thats sweet! It looks very high tec gizmo like! :D

Keep up the good work!

p.s I'm guessing you have an autofocus digital camera. Here's a tip for next time, take the pics a bit further back to gain more focus and sharpness, then crop them to the bits you want It'll remove any blur and look a lot better, altho it's already kewl as it is! :)

lazerin said:
Forgot to ask, does the LCD have backlite? If so, show us your lite!

The temp lcd's don't have any led's, but the 5" is running off an AIW card. When my memory gets here I'll fire it up and post a pic.

Back