• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case MOD in progress

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ziggey what did you use to window the 3" bays? Also could you pop it out and take a photo as i realy like it!!!

Those three 3 1/2" bays have a 5" LCD screen mounted in there.
I had to do a little cutting to fit it in, but it is an awsome fit.

As for the windows in the bezels, all I did was take the aluminum bezels that came with the case and cut a rectangle in it around the corners. Then I cut out a 2mm piece of plexi to fit in there. making other modifications to it as needed.

5" LCD

lcd 1.JPG

Last edited:
where can you get the carbon fiber vinyl covering stuff? I was thinkin of painting the interior of my case red but it'd be cool to paint it black now and cover the large area's with carbon fiber:D

tatanka said:
where can you get the carbon fiber vinyl covering stuff? I was thinkin of painting the interior of my case red but it'd be cool to paint it black now and cover the large area's with carbon fiber:D

I got a 2' by 4' section off of ebay about a year ago for like 5 bucks. It sticks well, and is thick enough that it doesnt bubble to easy. They supplier at the time had about 8 colors to choose from.

Ebay

Is_907 said:
nice etching and great mod(s)!
i've never done any etching so i'm interested in how you got the colors? and just how it's done in general? (not detailed, just a quick summary =)

I bought the paint from clearneon.com. It comes in a spray paint can. All I did was spray a little paint in the cap that covers the lid when not in use, and use a very very fine paint brush to fill in the etching grooves. I applied 2 coats. I havn't applied a clear coat or anything.
Then of course light it up with UV cathodes. I tried UV led's but they emmit to much bright blue light.

edit:
Here is the side panel Iv'e been working on. I should be done by next weekend. The colors Im gonna use are white, red, blue, green, and maybe yellow. Not sure yet, we'll see what happens.

dragon panel.JPG

Last edited:
FarEast said:
Great Mod......Those are great cases to work in !

Got the same case with the Silver trims rather than gold......As someone mentioned ...love the carbon fibre. on the CD rom.... But it might look even cooler if you put the same stuff on your front plate behind the plastic cover! I see you lost the top blow hole with the window though ! I'm going to build a top window but try and keep the fan mounts. Also to increase the airflow from the front two fans it's a good idea to remove the whole of the front panels and remove the fan guards. If you have a neon or UV inside you get a beter effect as well

What did you use to window the floppy drive ?

I was actually thinking of putting some carbon fiber over that black plate behing the front cover like you mentioned. Maybe I'll do that next weekend, if it look bad I guess I could simply take it off.

do the uv cold cathodes give off a lot of light that is blue/purplish? i want to use uv to light up paint but i dont want a different colored light to corrupt my red-dominant case lighting scheme.

Well they give off a little light. Depends on what size ya get. Also depends on where ya put it. You could apply black electrical tape to one side of it to reduce the light while maintaining a good flow of UV to the uv paint you want to light up. But if your not careful the UV could mix with your red lights and make a purple haze.

Xevuhtess7 said:
if i got a smaller uv coldcathode (mabye 4 inches?), would it still make the uv paint just as bright as if i got a 12 inch one?

It depends on how much you want to illuminate. The dragon head in my avatar was lit up with a 4", its about 2" by 3" is size.

When its outside of my case it lights up just about everything in my room within about 4' that reacts to UV light white socks, shirts, posters etc etc. But the larger the UV light, the brighter the colors.

If your trying tp light up a large picture or something a 10" or 12" would be needed. And it all depends on taste. I personally like all the details to show through the etching.

Well I finally finished cutting the carbon vinyl and attached it to the front metal plate behind the lexan cover. The first post I did was before the vinyl this is after. Please let me know which looks better.
Also my camera loves picking up fingerprints please ignore them, and Im rebuilding that temp LCD bezel. Im improving upon an already good idea.

pc front 3.jpg

Last edited:
Back